For U.K. owners looking to lose battery weight, new product

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For U.K. owners looking to lose battery weight, new product

For U.K. owners looking to lose battery weight, new product

Came accross the new battery from Antigravity UK could be of interest to weight savers at 600 quid;

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk....r-battery.html

In their words;

The RS-20 weighs only 10 lbs, puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8! Yet it has a very compact footprint at L 9-1/2” x W 6.8” x H 7.5”.

Compared to a Lead/Acid Battery the RS-20 is roughly 70% Lighter in most applications. In Race use it can offer as much as an 80% weight reduction. This equates to roughly 25-40 lbs of instant weight-loss just by changing out the Battery! That makes it the most cost effective weight-loss product hands-down. To save this much weight in Carbon or Titanium parts would cost over $10,000 dollars. So enjoy better handling, shorter breaking distances, better acceleration and better gas mileage with the RS-20 Lithium-Ion Starter Battery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: For U.K. owners looking to lose battery weight, new product

Great find thanks and it has the similar technology as Voltphreaks but I'm not sure the 20amp is man enough for the R8?.

Can only go by the publicity from them classba;

puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8!

When my battery dies, I´ll be going this route, and it´s cheaper than the Voltphreaks, plus it looks like it has a base lip similar to the R8 original battery so the clamp will locate it. One phone call would answer all doubts eh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Can only go by the publicity from them classba;

puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8!

When my battery dies, I´ll be going this route, and it´s cheaper than the Voltphreaks, plus it looks like it has a base lip similar to the R8 original battery so the clamp will locate it. One phone call would answer all doubts eh?
    Yes DaveL.... My stock OEM GT battery has 65amps and only lasts around 2 weeks before it dies so the 20 amps is not going to last long but besides that factor, it looks alright to me.

Yes will call them for more info come Monday.

Cheers

Good man classba, look forward to hearing their answer, keep us posted as my hopes are riding on this being a good product,

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Good man classba, look forward to hearing their answer, keep us posted as my hopes are riding on this being a good product,

cheers.

Will do DaveL

I'm a bit confused as to the origin of the batteries being USA or UK made because I'm seeing them for sale for US$600 stateside and 600 GBP in the UK?.

If they are UK manufactured then surely it should cost more than $600 to buy in the states.

I've done a bit of research already and apparently, 20 amps from a Lithium is around 75 amps for a normal regular batteries.

Let me double check with them and post my findings here later on.

Cheers.

Hello classba, I would think U.S.A. and they appear to be using the age old exchange rate of ¨if it´s a dollar in the states it´s a pound in uk¨
    Looking forward to the answers, and if it´s the real deal... no import taxes to pay!

Cheers.

Classba - 20A is 20A in any form. It is one of the components that form wattage which equals power. What you might be trying to say is that because the new style battery may hold a higher voltage under high instant load (or amps inrush) then it uses less current to produce the power it takes to turn over the engine. Example: power = volts x amps x efficiency. Power and efficiency will be constant in this case so the variables are voltage and amps. If the voltage remains higher then the amperage is less. Sorry for the lecture.
    Just to note - a larger gauge wire will have less resistivity therefore a higher voltage will flow so a lower current for any battery starter combo.
    Last edited by R8MYRWS; 02-21-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    2018 R8 RWS, White, Sport Seats, Rear wheel drive #895/999

What size battery does my vehicle need ?
    - That depends on the current needed by the starter when cranking the engine.
    4 cyl - 8Ah . . . 6 cyl - 8Ah . . . . 8 cyl - 8 or 16Ah

The advertised one that´s new from Antigravity is rated at 20Ah, so should do the trick!

Hi

There is also the RS30 ! very good for the R8.

Tom

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast