R8 v8 turbo project - Page 12

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread: R8 v8 turbo project

Re: R8 v8 turbo project

Quote Originally Posted by MADMATT_RS View Post
    ahhh ok mate totally makes sense now i couldnt understand before! How do you find not having watercooling on the turbos? any issues?
    The water cooling is generally due to them being ball bearing vs journal bearing. Also why the oil line orifice used for either is different.

So it’s not so much as to a concern regarding the cooling as it is what’s your goal for the build. There’s benefits to running BB turbos, but at a cost, which includes the necessity of running water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I drive with separate watercooling system with a circulation pump and 2 small heatexchangers for the turbos which I’ve connected via ignition and a thermal contact that turns off at 75 degrees even if ignition is off so that the water does not boil when I turn off the car!

The Oil is not enough cooling since I have a restrictor of 1mm due to BB turbos.

I would say that while water cooling is a good idea, it is always optional whether using journal or BB. The only exception is in my case where the center sections are oil-less.
    Bill Winters - 2012 V10|R-Tronic|Cactus green w/ carbon blades|CCB|Forgeline VX3C's & R888's|LPF Twin turbo kit tuned by Eurocharged: 753/531 @ 1/2 bar

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
    The water cooling is generally due to them being ball bearing vs journal bearing. Also why the oil line orifice used for either is different.

So it’s not so much as to a concern regarding the cooling as it is what’s your goal for the build. There’s benefits to running BB turbos, but at a cost, which includes the necessity of running water.
    Yes absolutely mate and i agree, especially when you are restricting down the oil supply to 1mm for the BB turbos there is just too much heat build up in the core area so water cooling is defo needed. I just want reliable power and longevity so will defo go the water cooled route and build a closed loop system purely so i can continue to run the system after shutdown and keep the twins happy thanks for the reply dude

Quote Originally Posted by Napstar View Post
    I drive with separate watercooling system with a circulation pump and 2 small heatexchangers for the turbos which I’ve connected via ignition and a thermal contact that turns off at 75 degrees even if ignition is off so that the water does not boil when I turn off the car!

The Oil is not enough cooling since I have a restrictor of 1mm due to BB turbos.
    Awesome mate this is what i am planning too do you have any photos of your setup? i think i will go for another DC EBP40 for the turbo water cooling too or have you gone bigger capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCzarofMexico View Post
    I would say that while water cooling is a good idea, it is always optional whether using journal or BB. The only exception is in my case where the center sections are oil-less.
    What turbos you using my dude? 753 hp? HOLY SH!T i bet thats a rocket lol so the turbo cores are oil-less?

They are Comp oil-less (3.0 version) 64/70 .82 A/R which have zerk fittings on the center sections that you squirt their custom grease into every 3k miles and are also water cooled (via engine coolant in my case).

https://www.compturbotechnology.com/our-ct-r-line

Yea ~750 is pretty fun. I wouldn't call it a rocket, I hang out with a bunch of UGR guys making ~1100 on pump and 1300 on race gas so...
    Bill Winters - 2012 V10|R-Tronic|Cactus green w/ carbon blades|CCB|Forgeline VX3C's & R888's|LPF Twin turbo kit tuned by Eurocharged: 753/531 @ 1/2 bar

Quote Originally Posted by MADMATT_RS View Post
    Awesome mate this is what i am planning too do you have any photos of your setup? i think i will go for another DC EBP40 for the turbo water cooling too or have you gone bigger capacity?
    My heat exchanger is in the front grill and my intercooler tank is in the frunk. I have one pump circulating from the tank to the intercoolers and back to the tank, and one pump making the short run from the tank to the HX and back. That way the water doesn't need to make a full trip from the front to the rear and back to cool off.

CFI

My heat exchanger is in the front grill and my intercooler tank is in the frunk. I have one pump circulating from the tank to the intercoolers and back to the tank, and one pump making the short run from the tank to the HX and back. That way the water doesn't need to make a full trip from the front to the rear and back to cool off.
    Glad to see you removed your original one from the oven out back.

They are Comp oil-less (3.0 version) 64/70 .82 A/R which have zerk fittings on the center sections that you squirt their custom grease into every 3k miles and are also water cooled (via engine coolant in my case).

https://www.compturbotechnology.com/our-ct-r-line

Yea ~750 is pretty fun. I wouldn't call it a rocket, I hang out with a bunch of UGR guys making ~1100 on pump and 1300 on race gas so...
    This saves time 👍 Where did you take the water from??

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast