V8 Tune Recommendations - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V8 Tune Recommendations

Re: V8 Tune Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

Just keep in mind that peak power is only one variable.

Area under the curve is more important, as it represents the gains across
    the entire rev range. While peak gains may only show 15-20 whp at the
    highest (single) point within the rev range, you can have max gains at
    various points that are even greater than that.

We're obviously biased, so feel free to take our word with a grain of salt, but
    one of the primary reasons we offer the money back guarantee is because the
    peak gains are modest and not hugely inspiring, and with that said ultimately
    means that the end user will get to decide whether they feel it was worth the
    money they spent or not!

You can't do that with an exhaust that is sometimes 3 to 4 times the price, and
    there are no other products out there that realize notable gains on the R8 V8
    unless you're ready to add forced induction.

Welp - I purchased the tune from VF - received it 3 days ago and have had nothing but trouble downloading the stock ECU tune.
    I have tried to do it several times to no avail.

I also emailed support through the website and received no feedback. I'd like to return the tune at this point for a refund.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor VF-Engineering's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NJR8 View Post
    Welp - I purchased the tune from VF - received it 3 days ago and have had nothing but trouble downloading the stock ECU tune.
    I have tried to do it several times to no avail.

I also emailed support through the website and received no feedback. I'd like to return the tune at this point for a refund.

That's very odd, but I can definitely try and get you some immediate help.

The instructions are posted on our website, and should be straight forward,
    ... but maybe there is something very simple that has been overlooked.

LINK: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...09393425067311

Note: You will want to pay close attention to the year designations as the
    later model V8 (2012 - 2014) will have the same 'ECU Type' as the V10.
    (MED9.1.2 (green oak) x2)

I will forward your message from here to Gary and the folks in our technical
    department, and someone will reach out to your directly ASAP.

If necessary, one of our techs can also log in remotely and walk through the
    process with you!

ABOUT VF-Engineering:
    VF-Engineering, Inc. uses state of the art processes to design, create, test and manufacture one of the highest quality supercharger kits on the market. The VF-Engineering facility is Located in the heart of Southern California. All our products are created and tested in house to ensure optimal gains and ensure factory like driveability and reliability. Proudly Made in the USA.
    Hidden Content
    P: 714-528-0066
    E: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

That's very odd, but I can definitely try and get you some immediate help.

The instructions are posted on our website, and should be straight forward,
    ... but maybe there is something very simple that has been overlooked.

LINK: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...09393425067311

Note: You will want to pay close attention to the year designations as the
    later model V8 (2012 - 2014) will have the same 'ECU Type' as the V10.
    (MED9.1.2 (green oak) x2)

I will forward your message from here to Gary and the folks in our technical
    department, and someone will reach out to your directly ASAP.

If necessary, one of our techs can also log in remotely and walk through the
    process with you!

Thanks - I emailed support through the forum and also through the VF site.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

before doing a remap, first thing to do is a carbon clean on the intake. your R8 has most likely real 360-400hp depending on the coaking status of your inlets. And a Remap won't change much to nothing as it simply cannot get more air into the combustion chamber=more horses. Also no cold air intake or bigger air filters also, they just keep your hp longer. So first step decoak your R8.

Limiting factor on the R8V8 are the throttle bodies which in optimum state and no coaking can deliver only enough air for real 430hp in natural aspirated. Thats it, physical limit....the R8 V8 has only 2x68mm throttlebodies, RS5 with the same engine already 2x74mm...

If you want serious additional power you need bigger throttle bodies+modifing the airbox to fit them, Airmass sensor housing plus a proper oversized K&N filter (not the standard one!) and that needs to be re-mapped then. With a good sport exhaust or modified OEM one thats stage 1 around real 460hp and is best value for money. Means +/- real 60hp and the V8 comes finally to live :-)
    From then on stage 2 its getting expensive: then the air inlet trumpets are the limiting part, modifing them is hell of a work as its a square to round shape which needs be opened up plus the head intake part adjusted to that, gets you to 480/490hp. Next step stage 3 different camshafts which gets you slightly above 500hp.

The mapping on each stage cannot be done remote as remap needs to be done on every engine differently and if you chosen right size of throttlebodies and airmass sensor housing they work on all 3 stages. I can supply all hardware and have 2 Ecu mappers in Germany and netherland who are able to map this but non in US/UK who could map the R8s and thats needed to work. Air fuel mixture is extrem lean without remap and you whould a have a hole in the pistion in no time. Thats the problem with supplying a kit.
    Last edited by Helldriver; 07-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

Reach out to JH Motorsports and see if they're doing a tune for the R8's 4.2L. I have my RS5's 4.2L CFSA engine tuned by them, stage 2 with a TCU tune on 93 octane, and I'm making a dyno verified 42 hp on a hot day. Most likely, I'm making a bit more than that as all the safety triggers are left in and as the car gets hot, it pulls timing. I made three runs and each produced more hp than the last, probably due to heat soak and the additional airflow taking heat out of the intake system.

Now the CFSA is a different engine development, based on the V10 with two less cylinders so not sure how different it is from the R8 motor in the important aspects of n/a tuning. It may be more limited but I'm sure Helldriver knows! But the difference is night and day between OEM and the stage 2. The rear will step out on corner exit if driven aggressively and I have full suspension and wider than OEM PS4S tires. Stage 2 is necessary as it improves the gearbox functions and raises the torque limits on the S-Tronic DL501. Hp output control via the ECU and the TCU are very intertwined on the RS5.
    Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; Hidden Content
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-JHM Tune/20x10 Klassen ID M10/Michelin PS4S/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Control Arms/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines, diff inserts, end links/Diff Bushing/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 rear sway end links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

I personally wouldn't want JHM touching an R8.
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Why is that? I've had nothing but a great experience with them and their products.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-JHM Tune/20x10 Klassen ID M10/Michelin PS4S/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Control Arms/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines, diff inserts, end links/Diff Bushing/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 rear sway end links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

I just think they are very aggressive tuners In the S4/RS4 world. More than a few bns’s have met their demise w jhm tunes. They do make a lot of nice parts though. Tune & supercharger scare me though.
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Just to close the loop on this. I returned my VF Tune without ever installing the file. This was based on a few things:
    - There was no drop down on their program for my car (2014 V8) - While on the phone with Gary he put me on hold to go find out what setting to use since my 2014 V8 wasnt listed. This made me feel a little uncomfortable.
    - It took almost a full week to get my tune file back even though I was told it would be 48-72 hours. The reason: My 2014 V8 was a special build. huh?
    - Owners talk about how their VF tune went sideways when they tried to re-flash with stock build and VF support came to the rescue to fix it. The fact that people had to rely on VF support to do something so basic in the product offering was EXTREMELY concerning.

This was my personal experience - I'm sure others had a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRunner View Post
    I just think they are very aggressive tuners In the S4/RS4 world. More than a few bns’s have met their demise w jhm tunes. They do make a lot of nice parts though. Tune & supercharger scare me though.
    Yes but we're talking naturally aspirated and JHM keeps all of the safety checks in place. The performance increase has honestly transformed the car. I think they've come quite a ways since the early B7 RS4 supercharger days. There's more than a few supercharged RS4's which have been running this whole time without issue. It's a fairly small market so there's not a huge pool of knowledge.

I made sure to not only dyno test mine throughout the build process but I also log a ton of parameters regularly just to see where the car is at and make sure there are no red flags. So far it's been brilliant, knock in check, timing adjustments are minimal unless it's 100 degrees out (aka summer in Texas). I mean 50 wheel hp out of a 4.2L N/A engine is pretty amazing. And that's on 93 pump. Doing E85 next, possibly even methanol injection.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast