R8 GT owners, Need your opinions on ECU Tunes (vendors welcome to comment)

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: R8 GT owners, Need your opinions on ECU Tunes (vendors welcome to comment)

R8 GT owners, Need your opinions on ECU Tunes (vendors welcome to comment)

With the very limited number of GT's built, there doesn't seem to be too much out there as far as OBDII flash-able tunes for the 560 HP V-10. Seeing some of the prices for a gain of maybe an additional 25-40 HP (at most) makes me question if its even worth it. After some research I was initially considering a purchase of Vivid Racings VRTuned's Model #VRT-R8-52-V10-525-2 stage 2 and ECO combination, as it had at least offered the ability to switch between an additional 40 HP with its stage 2 (total of 600 HP) or an economy mode of 7% fuel savings. I reached out to them and chatted with Blake. I asked him if their tune would be compatible with the R8 GT V-10 or if they had a specific tune for the GT. He said he would find out and call me back...... Well that was well over a month ago (4/11/19.) Of course I tried calling them afterwards only to get blown off. I had called a week or so after my initial chat and explained what I was looking for why I was calling. After he heard a had spoken with Blake he pretty much blew me off and said that Blake was busy in the back working on a car and that he would have him call me back since he was already helping me. Unfortunately, again, Blake did not call me. I made a third and final attempt with similar results.... WORST customer service ever and it really reflects so poorly on what might have been a decent product with the two tunes in one product. Unfortunately I cannot see giving them any business at this point (I could just imagine if I needed assistance AFTER purchasing their product as they had no interest in even selling me their product)

So that brings me to my question of what company or tuner would you recommend (if any, at all, for such small HP gains we get for our money, Also any tuner recommendations would need to be near NJ or the surrounding states) FYI- I'm not looking to bench flash and remove my ECU unless there is absolutely no other option (I'm Pretty sure I could add any tune with my OBDSTAR x300 DP Plus if necessary) On another note, besides ECU tuning, Is the power pedal accelerator tuning worth buying?? I am considering either 1016industries Power Pedal with Mobile App Controls (at $328.95) or DTE's Pedal Box with mobile App ($349)

On a final note, an avenue I haven't yet looked into is what tunes are out there for the Lambo Gallardo's and if they are compatible. wondering if it could be an option if they share the same ECU as Both the R8 GT and Gallardo seem to share identical engines, HP, and transmissions... Thoughts????

Basics as far as the tune is concerned- I'll be running, at a minimum 93 octane fuel, have access to higher octanes, Race gas, as well as E85 blends.

My current add-ons to work in conjuction with the tune:
    I have STM's intakes
    https://stmtuned.com/collections/200...-fiber-filters
    TCU Tuning
    http://store.1016industries.com/Home/AutoFlashDetails
    A titanium Avior resonated exhaust which is on its way (this alone for the weight savings at 8.5 lbs seems well worth it)

Any and all opinions, advice, or sales pitch would be very welcomed!
    Last edited by Ross; 05-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 GT owners, Need your opinions on ECU Tunes (vendors welcome to comment)

Knowing I wasn't going to force-feed my GT, I decided to play it safe with the APR tune. It's not specific to the GT, but you still get the delta. For example, it bumps the 560HP to 600HP, just the same as the 525HP. I did exhaust, wheels, and tires at the same time as the tune and I definitely felt the improvement in the whole package. I haven't had it on a dyno, but I estimate it's around 605HP. . .about the same as a gen.2. The other really nice part is that the tune, along with the new exhaust, really enhanced that wonderful ten-cylinder symphony, responsible for multiple eargasms.

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    Knowing I wasn't going to force-feed my GT, I decided to play it safe with the APR tune. It's not specific to the GT, but you still get the delta. For example, it bumps the 560HP to 600HP, just the same as the 525HP. I did exhaust, wheels, and tires at the same time as the tune and I definitely felt the improvement in the whole package. I haven't had it on a dyno, but I estimate it's around 605HP. . .about the same as a gen.2. The other really nice part is that the tune, along with the new exhaust, really enhanced that wonderful ten-cylinder symphony, responsible for multiple eargasms.
    Thanks GT#298, I had looked at APR but their website stated the HP would only go to 583 on 93 octane. I don't think I want to spend $1.5k for just 23 more HP, had they also had the better fuel econ map then maybe. They have much more for the Gen2's. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! As my exhaust isn't here yet I can only wait to hear my own eargasms!! LOL
    Last edited by Ross; 05-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Are there no other GT owners that flashed their ECU other than GT#298?? Really thought there'd be a few on here and was looking forward to their feedback
    Current:
    2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder #060 Suz Grey Matte
    2013 Ford Fusion Energi
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    2008 Triuph Rocket III

Well there aren't that many of us. For me, I just don't feel the gains justify the cost. I'd rather save my duckets to go FI.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements