Ohlins coilovers now availabnle for the R8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins coilovers now availabnle for the R8

Ohlins coilovers now availabnle for the R8

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but have just read that Ohlins have launched their Clubsport coilovers for the R8.

Ohlins coilovers now availabnle for the R8-20190819_153314.jpg
    Last edited by Trev450; 08-20-2019 at 05:36 AM.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Ohlins coilovers now availabnle for the R8

If I ever consider changing my magrides, Ohlins would be my choice, have them on my R1 and they're amazing shocks.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

But it's over $6.8K USD though Wouldn't the KW be better with height adjustment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
    But it's over $6.8K USD though Wouldn't the KW be better with height adjustment.
    I have KW's on my track Evo and they are fantastic. My tuner is of the opinion that KW's are slightly more track focussed than Ohlins but the Ohlins give a better ride for road use.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.

Hidden Content

I only have experience on Ohlins fitted on bikes, they are the "go to" shocks for race applications at the highest level, can't see them being inferior on a car to any other shocks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I only have experience on Ohlins fitted on bikes, they are the "go to" shocks for race applications at the highest level, can't see them being inferior on a car to any other shocks!
    I don't have any experience of Ohlins but am aware of their excellent reputation and agree with you Dave that they are among the best available. I was merely passing on the opinion of my tuner (who incidently is an agent for both Ohlins and KW) who feels that Ohlins are more polished on the road than KW's.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    I don't have any experience of Ohlins but am aware of their excellent reputation and agree with you Dave that they are among the best available. I was merely passing on the opinion of my tuner (who incidently is an agent for both Ohlins and KW) who feels that Ohlins are more polished on the road than KW's.
    Let's see if any of our forum readers can give an opinion on Ohlins fitted to a car !

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but have just read that Ohlins have launched their Clubsport coilovers for the R8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190819_153314.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	239044
    I have them on order, should be on the car in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
    Depends on what you want from the suspension. For a mostly street driven car, the Ohlins are usually the better choice.

I have Ohlins fitted to my Evo IX MR. The DFV road and track variety. Single adjustment for bump and rebound.
    I would echo trevs tuners opinion that I also tend to hear that KW are slightly more track focused out of the box although i suspect that has more to do with spring rate as much as anything else, but the R8 is a much heavier car than the evo.
    I've never been that blown away by the Ohlins. I find that they seem to transmit a lot of bounce through the seat into my body rather than just killing the bump at the strut if you know what i mean. Its a bit hard to explain really. The Evo came with Bilstein as standard and were very good. I only swapped cause i got a good deal and everybody at the time said they were night and day better. I certainly wouldn't say night and day but they do feel good in general driving. possibly a litte firmer than the billies bit not harsh or uncomfortable. Its only when pushing on over bumps they seem to start to get jittery whereas the billies (as far as i can remember) didn't. The only real benefit is that the car is a lot flatter through corners but that's undoubtedly due to the car being lower. I always keep thinking i should of just stayed with the billies and gone with lowering springs.
    I still have some playing around with the settings to do yet so i might hit the sweet spot. Some people say that the spring rates are a little on the low side out of the box too.
    That said i see the link trev posted is for their TTX range which are a level above the DFV, and with 2 stage adjustment will give greater control of damping. Personally unless switching between going on road and track i wouldn't bother. Certainly not at that price point with springs separate. Plus they'll probably need rebuilding in a few years at 1/3-1/4 the price. The standard mag ride do a great job for me. I tend to think that in most cases the standard manufacturer configuration is the best for standard driving. Only start changing major components for a specific reason/application.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast