Questions for twin turbo and supercharger owners

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for twin turbo and supercharger owners

Questions for twin turbo and supercharger owners

A few questions for those with aftermarket twin turbos or superchargers in your cars:

1. Does the car need to be in and out of the shop more frequently than normal for engine maintenance due to the extra load placed on the engine?
    2. After a few thousand miles does the performance drop at all or does the engine develop any problems?
    3. If I have an aftermarket exhaust am I right in inking it will not be compatible with a twin turbo set up?
    4. In *2008 on 6speedonline.com, there was a thread comparing underground racing twin turbos vs heffner twin turbos, a comparison was made between 2 gallardos which someone had driven enough for him to feel qualified to make the comparison. The Bottom line of his comparison was that heffner was somewhat inferior with regards to power and response time due to the construction method (fuel injectors). *Watching a drag between the two on youtube a while back the result was the same. Obviously that was a long time ago, how do the two stack up against each other now?
    5. With normal driving, do you see any difference in fuel economy?
    6. How is handling on the track affected?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Questions for twin turbo and supercharger owners

I can only speak to my v10 supercharger.

1. Not so far. There was the installation, which took a week, and then an upgrade which took just over a week (long story - should have been 2 days)
    2. No
    3. Don't know. AFAIK, it doesn't matter to my supercharger. Obviously Stasis have their own exhaust, which I don't have - so it's obviously not critical.
    5. Yes. On highway my mileage upped a smidge. Which was more than balanced by the drop around town. As superchargers are "always on" and turbos "kick-in", I would expect a different pattern between the two.
    6. Loads of Go! :-)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 MT; Sepang Blue with matching blade and engine vents, matt wrap; Stasis SuperCharger #12; Stasis brake rotors
    2009 Porsche Cayman S MT (gone)
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (gone)
    2004 Aston Martin Vanquish SDP Works Service MT (gone)
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8 MT (gone)

I've had 3 heffner tt builds. over 50000 miles logged trouble-free.
    Aftermkt exhaust not a factor.regarding ugr I don't know of any just bolt on units to
    compare mine to.They charge more I know that.

never worry about maintenance...not an issue.
    fuel economy about the same.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

My primary experience is 10K miles with the STaSIS S/C installed on a V8 coupe. I've also driven a Heffner TT and seen a couple of them with the rear bumper removed:

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. S/C: aftermarket exhaust compatible. Turbo: Not compatible.
    4. ---
    5. Mileage is somewhat less.
    6. The Handling per se is not affected. The rapidity at which "stuff" happens is dramatically different, though!
    Last edited by desperado; 04-10-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.

15 months and 8k miles with Stasis S/C on V8, car has only been in shop for it's annual maintenance and car drives better than ever. Have not noticed a drop off in fuel economy, probably because my driving style has always netted me poor mileage
    2015 Blu Caelum Huracan LP-610-4. VF800 Supercharged, Fabspeed Supersport Valved Exhaust.
    2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige Navarra Blue
    2018 Lotus Red Evora 400 Manual

Gone
    2012 Red R8 V10 6sp, VF-750 Supercharger, Tubi Rumore Exhaust
    Gone
    2009 R8 V8, 6SP Manual. Silver/Black,Stasis Supercharged,

It is not really relevant to compare UGR to Heffner. The pricing is completely different and the engineering work required much more so. As you max the power to the degree that UGR offer you trade off against all your other concerns regarding maintenance and wear and tear.

For me, the Heffner system offers the best blend of power improvement, reliability, track record (pun or no pun intended) and frankly, value for money. I haven't stopped laughing since my system was installed. In terms of sheer entertainment it is worth every single dollar and I am truly addicted.

Thank you all for the answers.

Moggy I have wanted to pick your brains about your v10 sc for a long time. Thank you.
    Gforce, I didn't realise heffner was direct bolt on, so you could return to stock if you wished to, whereas or ugr that isn't an option I guess as the turbo is integrated into the engine permanently, is that correct?
    Desperado, was there a big difference in power delivery times, ie lag, between the sc and tt's you drove?
    Thanks rs4cab, I think most of us would experience the same
    Saigon - thanks, your post in a recent thread is actually what prompted me to make this thread!

I liked the feel and sound of the SC better. The North America warranty arrangement which STaSIS has with Audi was also persuasive.
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.

Have never driven a TT R8 but plenty of time in highly modded 911 TT. The 911 is great on highway when Turbo kicks in but I prefer the feel of my Supercharger. Really makes just driving around town fun with tons of low end torque, something i felt the R8 was missing.
    Good article here comparing Heffner TT to Stasis/VFE Supercharger.
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ged/index.html

" the VFE R8 delivers a stunning punch to the torque curve. A few tics over 2000 rpm and this car is putting down 250 lb-ft of twist, 140 more lb-ft than a stock R8. Keep pushing and by 4500 rpm you’ll see 436 lb-ft with a maximum 539 hp realized at 7350 rpm."
    2015 Blu Caelum Huracan LP-610-4. VF800 Supercharged, Fabspeed Supersport Valved Exhaust.
    2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige Navarra Blue
    2018 Lotus Red Evora 400 Manual

Gone
    2012 Red R8 V10 6sp, VF-750 Supercharger, Tubi Rumore Exhaust
    Gone
    2009 R8 V8, 6SP Manual. Silver/Black,Stasis Supercharged,

1. Not as far as I can tell. Just regular oil changes and suggested maintenance.
    2. Hard to say. It's very subjective. Everything seems faster when you first get it and eventually you get used to it. I imagine that if the performance does in fact change, it's not by much.
    3. Exhaust won't work with the TT.
    4. It seems like UGR has surpassed Heffner, but the applications are different I think. UGR builds higher power build and their prices are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more. I went with Heffner because I wanted a bolt-on system at lower cost. With the amount of TTG's coming out of UGR, I think you're crazy to buy a new one. There are always TTG's for sale at a fraction of the build cost with only a few thousand miles. I say let the first guy eat 40-80K on his build.
    5. About the same, though in reality obviously less because I'm on the power more. If I cruise at 6th gear at 65, pre/post TT mileage is about the same.
    6. Depends on the driver. I don't think it upsets the weight balance, but I'm sure you need to adjust your driving styles to accommodate for the boost. I personally think an NA car is more desirable on the track or a factory turbo car due to more linear power, but it's nothing you can't manage. I have no doubt in my mind that a professional can drive my car much faster than I can, so IMO the car is always going to be better than I am in the first place, regardless of TT/SC or NA.

I probably wouldn't buy a new R8 and TT/SC it. However, because I had already owned a V8 for 4 years, it was cheaper than selling it and buying a V10/GT. My decision was purely based on cost/performance.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast