Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk - Page 6

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

Hey, so glad to know this is still helping out. And all the photos are great, too.
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Desparado is one of the founding members of R8talk. It is amazing how much he has brought to the forum and me personally. He let me drive his V8 R8 at the track and offered to let me drive his R8 GT, which I turned down for fear of wrecking it. He is a class act.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

Re: Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

well, now I'm blushing!

Actually, the R8Talk forum was already in full-flower when I showed up. The majority of owners were UK based, as the R8 showed up a year earlier in UK and Europe than in North America. Most of us in the US were trying to find out about the cars because they were in short supply.

I'm impressed by how many of those early members are still active here.
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I would like to thank those that wrote this thread witout which it would have been an even more annoying job to do! Thanks!!

Have just done this today, am not experienced working on cars & it took 3 hours without breaking anything
    Do not attempt it without an arm puller for the wipers and take it very slow & easy applying pressure & spraying WD40's 'seized thread' product on between tapping with a rubber mallet
    The trim was a total pain to get back perfectly aligned

One thing it makes clear is that Audi's priorities when making the car were:

1) Performance
    2) Appearance
    3) Any other considerations like ease of service

Can a Moderator please move this to the 'sticky's' before it slowly fades away.
    2014 R8 5.2 Spyder
    Panther Black Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by old phart View Post
    Can a Moderator please move this to the 'sticky's' before it slowly fades away.
    I added a link to this thread in the FAQ's Maintenance and Service post.

It seems clear from your comments and photos that not all markets have the inside emergency release handle (presumably for use by a trapped child). Some cars only have the light. If you have only the light then it is apparently not necessary to remove it - just disconnect the electrical lead. If your car DOES have the emergency release assembly, it is connected by a bowden wire to the hood latch and so must be removed from the trunk before the trunk can be removed (as described in my post #4).

To the guys who removed the boot without removing the wipers/struts.

how on earth did you pull out the front trunk without removing that top plastic/wipers, I'm in this position right now and there is maybe 2-3cm of lift of that plastic at the top but noway will it shift enough to allow the boot to pop out...
    causing me grief now as I can't locate a wiper removal tool either :S

The additional grief is here in Aus, currently seems nobody has a similar type of battery, or that said everyone wants me to bring the current one in, so they can match it, but thats a bit tricky when I can't get the boot out yet

4G0 915 105 E
    520A 110ah DIN
    85A EN/SAE/GS

That's the stock battery seems small.. but that boot is driving me crazy!!
    -
    2012 R8 V10 - Ibis White - 20" Morr Wheels / Larini Clubsport Exhaust / H&R Lowered Springs.. Dream Car Bucket List Item - TICK!

hey everyone,

I just need to update this, so the hard part on this if you dont have the tool, is removing the wiper blades. It's saturday here in australia and I couldnt find any shop that sold them, was willing to drive, no luck. Was coming to the conclusion i'll just have to wrestle with them to get them off until a mate phoned me. He works in windscreen repair. I told him what everyone mentioned and he agreed there are tools that can help but in the event of no tools handy its not the end of the world and will still take less than a couple of minutes.

One video chat later, I had 2 wipers off the car. The process? after removing the nut, right behind the elbow of the windscreen wiper, with open palm just hit it and keep htiting it so it flexes, the flexing will send shock through the rest of the arm and slowly have it release, you dont have to hit it too hard for this, I hit it maybe around 15-20times and suddenly you feel it/see it release and just like that the wiper is off.

The passenger side (Australia / Driver side for you left hand drive locations) was a little more difficult since there is less flex in those one at the same joint, however the same process and maybe a couple extra taps with the hand and sure enough, the wiper came right off.

My car is a 2012 V10 if that makes any difference, but I could do backflips now I'm that happy those came off without the tool, I've now got full access to everything. It felt more difficult removing the actual top plastic part after the wipers were off than removing the actual wipers.
    -
    2012 R8 V10 - Ibis White - 20" Morr Wheels / Larini Clubsport Exhaust / H&R Lowered Springs.. Dream Car Bucket List Item - TICK!

be really careful when you 'hit it', R8 windscreens are notoriously easy to crack at the wiper arm base.

If I have time, I'll record a video of the wiper removal. You barely have to hit it, a tennis ball falling onto the windscreen would be more force on the windscreen than what I used to push on the wiper arm to have it pop off.
    -

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast