Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

I need to replace my battery after nearly seven wonderful years of ownership, unfortunately not holding charge so well nowadays.

Does anyone know the procedure for the removal of the front boot (trunk) lining in order to access the battery ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dealer wants £200 + just for the labour + cost (dealer cost!) of new battery, thought I would do the job myself.
    Last edited by L3MAN; 03-28-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    R8 Daytona Grey / Carbon Blades / Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

re: Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

£200 doesn't sound too bad TBH. I'd let them do it for you for that price, if anything goes wrong or gets broken then it's up to them to fix.

I think, really don't know about the R8, but have had the A8L changed and assume it is similar, if you disconnect the battery completely you will lose your radio set and need the dealer to reset your radio codes or the radio will not work. The A8L thinks someone is attempting to steal the radio and will never work again without the radio codes. You will also lose all of your memorize phone numbers and select name numbers. In my opinion it is not worth it to do it yourself unless you have a battery tender that can keep electricity going to the positive and negative terminals...without interruption. If the cables fall off you are screwed.
    '04 A8L and '09 R8 R-Tronic, Ice Silver, Limestone Grey, Carbon Side-blades, Engine and Interior, Premium package, B&O, Upgrade leather, Navigation Plus

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by L3MAN View Post
    Does anyone know the procedure for the removal of the front boot (trunk) lining in order to access the battery? Any help would be appreciated.
    UPDATES:
    > I just did this task today, and updated this post with quite a bit of additional description:
    > There are nice photos in Post#44 of this thread.
    • Remove all four pieces of plastic trim from around the trunk:
      • There are quite a few quarter turn fasteners holding them in place. Since a screw driver does not really fit the wide, shallow slots properly, be very careful not to slip out of the slots and scratch the plastic trim. Even the slightest scratch really shows on the textured plastic (don't ask me how I know )
      • The removal order is front (lower), sides, and rear (upper). Take note of the way the panels fit into each other for ease of replacing them the same way.
      • The front trim piece is tricky. There are four large plastic tabs on the front edge which engage with the grill, and the rear edge slides into the slot in the trunk gasket quite a long way. Use a plastic trim removal tool and gently flex and pry the trim away from the grill to release the tabs. I see these tabs broken quite often. If anyone knows the "trick" on this piece I would like to hear it!
      • The two side trim pieces (and the front trim piece) slide into a groove under the rubber gasket on the trunk. The upper (rear) trim piece does not; it just nestles beneath the rubber bulb. Note that you don't remove the trunk gasket from the edge of the trunk.
        Remove the rubber bulb gaskets where the side panels join the wheel well liners. These have internal metal clips. When replacing them fully engage the clips onto the edge of both plastic pieces. If they aren't fully engaged, which is easy to do, the trim will fall off later and be lost.
      • To remove the upper (rear) piece you must first remove the windshield wiper arms, which requires a special puller. Cycle the wipers a few times before removing them to make sure they stop in the lowest position. Put a piece of masking tape on the windshield to mark the outer end of each blade so you can reassemble them in the same position. I don't suggest trying to remove them without the proper puller, if they are tight you will scar the arms.
        Remove the cap from the windshield wiper reservoir. If you choose to leave it on the tank, don't forget to carefully feed it back through the hole in the trim when reassembling, otherwise it will be trapped or damaged.
        You might ask a helper to hold up the hood while you remove the lower end of the gas struts. (I usually do this alone and briefly rest the end of the gas strut in the groove in the top of the plastic wheel liner while I remove the trim.)
        Then you need to gently peel the upper edge of the trim piece out of its plastic channel at the base of the windshield. Start at one end and work towards the other. It will be snug. Note the position so you can put it back the same way. When replacing it, make sure it is aligned in the groove then use a gentle bump with the heel of the palm to seat the trim back into the plastic channel.
    • Remove the entire tool kit from inside the trunk (not required, but gets rid of the extra weight for the next few steps). Simply grab the styrofoam liner and lift the entire kit up and out.
    • Remove the large black screws from the wide black bracket at the upper front outer edge of the trunk ([email protected]). (Don't remove the four self tapping screws just barely visibile inside the front lip of the trunk.)
    • Unplug the wiring harness (for the light and power socket) from the front right-hand outer side of the trunk (next to the right headlight).
    • Remove the small black screws ([email protected]) around the edge of the emergency trunk release assembly on the inside of the trunk.
    • Pull up firmly on the trunk to release the four rubber grommets from the pins in the frame. (Note: If one or more of the rubber grommets stay on the car, pull them off the pins and put them back into the recesses on the trunk before reinstallation. It helps to put a dab of silicon grease on the pins to ease reassembly as well as removal the next time.)
    • Lift the trunk enough to gain access and unplug the wiring harness from the emergency trunk release assembly.
    • Now gently feed the emergency trunk release assembly through the opening and remove it from the trunk while lifting the trunk.

At this point you should be able to remove the trunk from the car and access the battery.

When replacing the trunk, it is important to route all of the trunk release cables the same way they were before. And very important: if you are not careful you can dislodge the little plastic piece in the release mechanism which will disable the electric trunk release. It is exposed and can be inadvertently bumped.

Despite the above, it is not especially difficult. It takes me about ten minutes to remove the trunk and at least twice as long to replace it, with the right tools and having done it before. However there are quite a few steps, it does require some care, and you need the special tool for the wiper arms. I suppose it might be possible to slip the trunk out past the unfastened upper trim piece without removing the wipers, but I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by desperado; 01-08-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added link to photos; revised entire procedure based on recent experience
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

Welcome to R8Talk. Please read the FAQ: Audi R8 Introduction and Road Map.

I just pulled my trunk today, and updated the description above based on my recent experience.
    2018 R8 LMS GT4 | 2014 R8 LMS Ultra GT3 | 2012 R8 GT Coupe 5.2 6RT | 2009 R8 Coupe 4.2 6MT

Exiting a corner on the limit is like tightrope-walking; entering a corner on the limit is like jumping onto a tightrope while blindfolded. - Mark Donahue

Re: Replacing Battery - How to remove Trunk

Take the £200 option - they are charging you practically nothing for labour
    Also no headaches, postage or form filling if you have to claim for warranty
    OEM Audi Parts
    Audi Porsche FerrariLamborghini

Superb prices ! Exclusive products ! Fast shipping

Another thought: when you have the plastic trim pieces off, this is a perfect time to cut a hole in the upper trim for accessing the brake fluid reservoir.

The last post in that thread also leads me to think it may be possible to remove the trunk without pulling the wipers using the method shown in his photos, applied on both sides.
    Last edited by desperado; 03-30-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by EpsomJames View Post
    £200 doesn't sound too bad TBH. I'd let them do it for you for that price, if anything goes wrong or gets broken then it's up to them to fix.
    You are quite right, the more I investigate the potential for problems increase !

Quote Originally Posted by mngolfer View Post
    I think, really don't know about the R8, but have had the A8L changed and assume it is similar, if you disconnect the battery completely you will lose your radio set and need the dealer to reset your radio codes or the radio will not work. The A8L thinks someone is attempting to steal the radio and will never work again without the radio codes. You will also lose all of your memorize phone numbers and select name numbers. In my opinion it is not worth it to do it yourself unless you have a battery tender that can keep electricity going to the positive and negative terminals...without interruption. If the cables fall off you are screwed.

Found a cost effective solution.

Joined Audi assist for £89.00 and the mobile tech comes to my house to do the work including any software updates etc. Will also use my free issue battery (Bosch with 3 year guarantee @ £88.32
    All up cost of less than £180.

The interesting thing is that it is cheaper to join Audi assist when you are out of warranty rather pay main dealer hourly rates !

Thanks Desparado,

Now found solution as stated above, but always useful to know anyway.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast