R-tronic: replacing clutch position sensor G476 - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R-tronic: replacing clutch position sensor G476

Re: R-tronic: replacing clutch position sensor G476

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Tech Exotic View Post
    Unfortunately, the engagement of R-tronic and E-gear is very long. That's why we estimate that 60-70% of clutch wear happens when you're taking off from a dead stop. Our Kevlar clutches have quicker engagement and that's one of the reasons our Kevlar clutches last longer. It's called CEM(Clutch Engagement Mechanism). We set up our clutches with quicker engagement. This is very difficult to do because if it engages too quickly then the clutch bucks and jerks. Our CEM Version 2 is the quickest and it's still smoother than a stock. That's not easy to do.

TCU upgrade helps the shifting but it might not help the engagement from a dead stop. It is really dependent on how they programmed the TCU. Has your clutch engagement got slower from before or is it the same? If it's worse than before, then your clutch can be at the end of its life. If you're clutch is getting thin, then it takes longer to engage. It's like brake pads. If you don't a lot of brake pads left, then there is more travel on the brake pedal.

Another important fact is that if your clutch discs are glazed. We have had stock clutches that had 50% left but it was slipping. This was caused because the discs were glazed and had no holding capacity. You can get glazed discs by doing a lot reverse in uphill road. I would try avoid reversing uphill if you can help it.
    thank you for your answers. If my clutch is dead I will get yours but mine has still 70% left...
    I am aware of the fact that engagement from dead stop costs the most clutch live, thats why I was wondering why my is so slow and if I can change eg. calibration or something else to improve it.
    Engagement didn't change with TCU tune, its from German Monitoring and a mild one so the forks don't get additional wear.
    Have no slipage issues and clutch life is about 70%.
    The two things I realized is that
    1) if I drove the R8 very hard eg mountain pass tour or driving training then engagement is faster for a while. But after 2 or 3 days its back to "lazy mode" ...
    2) reverse uphill, yes I avoid it were i can. But it takes really ages till clutch engages and engagement is very "snappy", very hard to control the point were the car starts to move and suddenly "takes off". Nearly hit twice a pole...
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Tech Exotic View Post
    If you look closely at your flywheel and your clutch discs, you will see rings/circles on both of them. It looks like that it's not releasing properly. This could have been caused by a bad throw out bearing or the pressure plate that is going bad. It looks like that you should replace the clutch too. This is one of the reasons that it's stuck in Neutral.

Another issue that you might be having is that your actuator possibly has a leak. When the actuator can't hold pressure, the R-tronic system sees that and to protect the transmission, the default is neutral so that's why it's stuck in neutral.

Your accumulator might not be holding the pressure. It's a good practice to replace that too. It's not very expensive so it would be a good idea to do that.

You should replace the clutch position sensor whether it is good or bad because as you see, if it goes bad, the labor is the same as a clutch replacement. Now that you're here, you should also replace the rear main seal. All these are good insurances because they are all very inexpensive but the labor to replace them is very expensive.
    by actuator, you mean the entire hydraulic control unit 1# part numner 086398163B ?

thank you so much for your help, want to make sure its all done properly before we put on the new clutch n bearing and check out those parts you mentioned.

Attachment 214097

Hi @dashOn

I am inspired by you and planning on changing my clutch then write a complete diy guide.

My local Audi dealer quoted $3500 for the clutch but I found Valeo on ebay for $2000. Do you think its a good idea to buy from ebay or they might be fake?
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-OEM-CLUT...6/372188327827

Where did you buy your clutch kit from?
    White 2010 R8 V10, R-Tronic, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Stasis exhaust

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

pm sent, i spent 1300 on a brand new oem clutch from ebay...exact same one on arrival as the oem.

Quote Originally Posted by dash0n View Post
    pm sent, i spent 1300 on a brand new oem clutch from ebay...exact same one on arrival as the oem.
    Im hoping this is true! But surely it’s not?

From reading the above it seems the best thing to do when pulling trans out is replacing:

Rear main seal
    Accumulator
    Actuator (if leaking)
    Clutch sensor
    Clutch
    Flywheel
    Throw out bearing

New to posting but have been reading for a year....R-tronic: replacing clutch position sensor G476-1553d616-8d94-4a44-bbbd-e552d82a6f0e.jpgJust had my clutch changed $$ I bought the Valeo clutch and also the throwout bearing and the clutch position
    sensor, also had the actuator (magnet marelli) oil refilled and actuator cleaned and all relay sensors cleaned.

Nice. Looks good.

Any closure here from dash0n?
    v10 REV9
    Rohanna 20x
    BC Coils

Supporting Vendor Hi Tech Exotic's Avatar

Some of the R8 clutches on Ebay are fake and they are made in China. It also doesn't come with a flywheel.

We had a customer who bought one from Ebay and he had shifting issues. He had a tough time getting it in 1st gear. He had to restart his car to get it in 1st gear. He thought it was his R-tronic pump. After spending thousands of dollars on different parts. He removed the clutch and installed our HT300. He never had any shifting issues.

He sent us the clutch and after opening it up, it was obvious that it was not made by Valeo. It was a fake clutch made in China. The parts were poorly made. For example, the intermediate plate was made out of a cheap metal and had a lot of hot spots on it.
    Hidden Content

Sean
    Hi Tech Exotic
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Specializing in Kevlar clutches for
    Lamborghini and Ferrari and R8 for over 20 years

1-888-456-0437
    Hidden Content

Why fit an OEM clutch if you're going to keep the car? Hi-Tech is the way to go.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Supporting Vendor Hi Tech Exotic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Why fit an OEM clutch if you're going to keep the car? Hi-Tech is the way to go.
    Thank you for your great comment.
    Hidden Content

Sean
    Hi Tech Exotic
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Specializing in Kevlar clutches for
    Lamborghini and Ferrari and R8 for over 20 years

1-888-456-0437
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum