Driver seat up/down motor broken

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Driver seat up/down motor broken

Driver seat up/down motor broken

Hello,

New to the forums, and new to the Audi R8 ownership experience-- my first "exotic" car. It's a 2008 R8 with the 6MT. I love it so far!

I knew this before I purchased, but it didn't hold me back. My drivers seat has an issue where it doesn't go up and down. It's currently "up" about 75% of the way (I believe). I'm pretty tall, so I'd like to hopefully get it to go down. The "rake" adjustment does work (front portion of seat goes up and down). But the back portion does not go up or down. All other adjustments work.

Previous owner told me he was verbally quoted like $1000 to fix it-- which seems rather high to me, to be honest.

I can hear the motor running. So I have to imagine it's the shaft or a worm gear or something has broken.

Anyway, any advice on how to go about fixing this? Or is it possible to reach under the seat and spin something by hand to get the seat to go down at least?

Or, does anyone happen to have the bottom seat tray assembly available for sale? Or just the appropriate motor or part?

Is this a common problem?

Thanks!

--Todd
    2015 Audi S4 6MT
    2008 Audi R8 6MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Driver seat up/down motor broken

Unsure of the R8 seat mechanics. BUT, if there's motor housing with a black cable inserted than likely the metal square tipped cable inside the black plastic sleeve that drives the gear has backed out of the gear socket. Fully dislodge the cable from the motor and trim back some plastic to expose more metal cable. Then re-insert the cable. The longer metal cable should now fit deeper into the socket and engage the motor. Careful not to trim back to much plastic or the cable won't stay lodged in the housing. This is the problem and solution for my previous German car.
    R8 V8 mt6 DaytonaGrey Pearl & Tuscan Brown

Returning to report that I ended up finding the exact part I needed on ebay for $40, I believe pulled from an Audi A3. I ended up pulling the seat out of the car and replacing it myself. It was really easy and went very well, and now my seat works! I was able to also confirm the gearing on the end of the motor was broken, while the motor itself was fine. It was a pretty cheap repair at the end of the day!

If anyone wants more information about my repair (part numbers, etc), let me know and I'll do my best to respond. I made this repair almost a year ago, and just decided to report back here about it in case someone was curious in the future. And it is still working fine to this day.

I found it on ebay under the following name: 2006-2012 AUDI A3 8P - FRONT LEFT REAR HEIGHT / TILT SEAT MOTOR
    2015 Audi S4 6MT
    2008 Audi R8 6MT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Ebay to the rescue again, just shows that a little research can save you money! well done.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements