Questions about DIY removal and replacement of mag shocks

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about DIY removal and replacement of mag shocks

Question Questions about DIY removal and replacement of mag shocks

I have a couple questions about removal and replacement of the mag ride shocks. (2010 V10) First let me state for the record that I am somewhat mechanically skilled but by no means an expert. I have been digging into this project slowly and methodically so I don’t get in over my head. (Or at least that’s the plan.)

First question. I have removed the front wheel housing liner and have a pretty clear view of the shock and everything. Is there any real need to remove the headlamp and wheel housing liner trim? It doesn’t appear to really open up anything from what I can tell.

Second question. I’m having a really tough time figuring out how to get a breaker bar or anything substantial on the nut that holds the bolt for the top of the shock. There is just a little space to get maybe a wrench or even a crows foot on a breaker bar. But it doesn’t seem like you can turn the nut without running into the top of the shock with the wrench. If I remove the lower nut and bolt first, will that let the shock swing out of the way a little to be able to work on that upper nut and bolt? My concern is that I'm going to need to get some leverage because I'm definitely not strong enough to turn that nut with a basic wrench and my only impact tool is not going to fit anywhere near there.

Third question. Once I remove the shock, do I need to support the suspension elements? In my mind, the whole thing looks like it will just drop and I don’t know if that’s so good for the axle and all those fancy gears and things. Follow up question. Should I have the car in neutral or in gear while I do all this?

I’ve started on the front because it seems like the trickiest. I’m hoping the rears are a little more accessible. If I can do all this without completely screwing it up I plan to send the shocks to the refurbish shop in Poland. If there are other suggestions, I’m open. I’m following the shop manual but I don’t have all the specialized tools that they seem to call for. So kind of figuring it out as I go. Any help is appreciated. Just trying to learn to do something I’ve never done before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Questions about DIY removal and replacement of mag shocks

Well I've made a little progress on the shock project. I've determined the answer to question 1. I have to remove the plastic pieces including the cowl part that goes across below the windshield. The issue is not that I can't get a wrench in there, it's that the bolt can't get pulled all the way out with the plastic in the way. I'd hoped to not have to dismantle half the car just to pull the shocks, but that looks like what I have to do. This also seems to solve question 2 by default. I also think I've answered the third question because I've removed the lower nut and bolt and the suspension just seems to sit there.

I reviewed the excellent thread on removal of the trunk and that has helped greatly with figuring out the task of removing all the plastic pieces. This project is going in fits and starts due to my overthinking every step which is my way of doing things... Also it would appear that I have family obligations, work obligations and any number of other distractions. So hopefully this doesn't become my life's work.

One more question. It looks to me like I will need to use a spring compressor to get the shock back in. When I released the lower nut and bolt, the shock is expanded a little so the bolt holes don't match up. I can't really get a good contact point to use a pry bar to push the shock up and into place, so my thinking is that I will need to use the spring compressor to help maneuver things into place.

Does anyone have any actual experience doing this job? Would really appreciate helpful advice so I'm not completely in the dark here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

ECS list this tool for the rear shocks, I haven't read the remove/install procedure so don't know what it does!!!!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ol/t40177~oev/

Thanks @DaveL. That looks like a mystery to me at the moment. I saw someone's comment to your post of this on the other thread. I'm pretty sure that there's a nut and bolt at the top of the shock, so I'm not sure what they are describing. One thing I do know is that you are supposed to mount the shock and tighten the top nut and bolt to spec. The bottom one gets semi tightened and then you have to lift the wheel bearing housing up to a pre-measured point. Then you tighten to spec. Possibly that tool is the support you use to help raise the wheel bearing housing.

My plan is to use a floor jack with a support on it that will push up the lug bolt guide and raise the whole shebang that way. The support will not be too fancy. Maybe a step up from a piece of 2x3 scrap wood. Or I may go metal if I feel real classy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stärke View Post
    Thanks @DaveL. That looks like a mystery to me at the moment. I saw someone's comment to your post of this on the other thread. I'm pretty sure that there's a nut and bolt at the top of the shock, so I'm not sure what they are describing. One thing I do know is that you are supposed to mount the shock and tighten the top nut and bolt to spec. The bottom one gets semi tightened and then you have to lift the wheel bearing housing up to a pre-measured point. Then you tighten to spec. Possibly that tool is the support you use to help raise the wheel bearing housing.

My plan is to use a floor jack with a support on it that will push up the lug bolt guide and raise the whole shebang that way. The support will not be too fancy. Maybe a step up from a piece of 2x3 scrap wood. Or I may go metal if I feel real classy...
    Good luck with the work

Well I had a little time today, so I got the shocks all removed. Once you get all the plastic removed up front, it's pretty easy access. There are a zillion bolts holding all the plastic fender pieces on. They all look alike except for a certain few. So while you are removing the bolts you have to pay attention to a couple and segregate them and mark them so you know where they are supposed to go. This is true on the front and the back. There are even two bolts in back that attache to the bumper cover and each of those is for its specific hole. So even though everything looks alike, it's not, so don't just spin them out and throw them in a can.

The other part that was a real pain was removing the air guides in the back. The best way I could find to attack that was to remove the rearmost part from the rubber fitting and then wiggle and persuade until the front finally comes off. Then it's still a bit of a puzzle to twist it just right so you can get it out of the wheel well. I am definitely not looking forward to trying to get these suckers back in the car. I love how the workshop manual says, "remove air guides". Yeah, simple...

The first front shock I took off was a bit of a learning experience. When I released the lower bolt I let the shock move toward the outside of the upper control arm. That made it so I couldn't lower the shock once I had undone the upper bolt. So I had to pry it over to the inside which had a larger opening and then the shock came out just fine. The second front shock was a breeze once I knew this little trick.

Compared to the front, the rear shocks weren't too bad. Access was a little easier (once I got the stupid air guides out). One oddity I noticed was that the bolts were put on opposite to the illustration in the workshop manual. I got all concerned about this for a while. So I went googling and found some pics and videos that showed the bolts the same way they are in my car. I think they are easier to extract with their current orientation, so maybe it was a change they made in production at some point.

That's all for now. I'm going to pack up the shocks and figure out how to send them to Poland. Then the real adventure begins. Figuring out how to put the whole darn think back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Stärke View Post
    That's all for now. I'm going to pack up the shocks and figure out how to send them to Poland. Then the real adventure begins. Figuring out how to put the whole darn think back together.
    This second part of the job is easy-

Installation is the reverse of removal LoL As it says in all the best workshop manuals

p.s. Don't forget to post the latest price for refurbishing the shocks.

I made a pretty detailed DIY for replacing the magnetic ride with BC racing coilovers hope it can help you

Hey Sonduren. Thanks for posting the video. I hadn't seen that one yet. You will laugh, but I picked up a nice tip from your clip. In all my years of using tools and seeing other people using tools, I have never seen the use of tape on the screwdriver to avoid marring metal surfaces. It's funny because it's so simple and obvious, but I never thought of it. You can be sure that is going into my repertoire.

Meanwhile, the shocks have arrived in Poland, so they will be working their magic. I will probably detail and clean up the opened up areas on the car. I've got to buy new locknuts. I think there are differing schools of thought on whether or not you can reuse locknuts. In this case, I figure spending 10 bucks on new nuts isn't going to break the bank. There are also differing schools of thought on whether or not you need to use a torque wrench to tighten to spec. I know many people just tighten by feel. In my case, I am not as well calibrated as a torque wrench, so I prefer a measured approach.

Lastly, I notice that some of the torx screws that I took out of the fenders had some sort of locktite substance on them. I'm going to see if I can figure out what that was and I will use that when I replace the fenders.

That ought to keep me busy until the refurbished shocks arrive back at my garage.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast