Coolant Expansion Tank Tensioning Strap RANT - Service Action 19M4

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Coolant Expansion Tank Tensioning Strap RANT - Service Action 19M4

Coolant Expansion Tank Tensioning Strap RANT - Service Action 19M4

I recently received a letter from Audi of America, Inc with respect to "Service Action 19M4" as the subject line reads. This applies to certain 2008-2015 Model Year Audi R8 Coupe.

I've been the owner of (2) R8s to date; a 2009 V8 R8 and a 2010 V10 R8 ESS Supercharged. Between the 2 cars I've owned R8s for nearly 6 years, but have recently sold out of my Audi lineup and picked up a 2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

Back in 2014 I was in bumper to bumper traffic in Los Angeles (when are we not, am I right?) on the 10 fwy eastbound when I saw white smoke coming from the engine compartment on my 2009 Audi R8. Luckily there was a turn out just to my right. When I stopped and lifted the engine compartment I noticed the coolant tank had cracked in half and the coolant had caught on fire on the exhaust. Since I had watched so many videos of Lambos and Audis catching on fire, I had put a fire extinguisher in my car. I went and got the fire extinguisher and was able to put out the fire before it caused any significant damage. I had a flatbed tow truck take the car and off we went. I sold that car nearly 2 years ago.

Fast forward to April 2019, I receive this letter from Audi, as I assume many of you have as well. Since the letter directly related to this exact issue I had above back in 2014, I called Audi Flagship and informed them of the incident. They instructed me to send an e-mail along with proof of repair and that they would submit for reimbursement on my behalf. It's not a big deal because at the end of the day it was like a $200+/- repair + clean up of the fire extinguisher (pressure wash labor). Great! ... so I thought.

I spoke with Audi Flagship yesterday regarding an "update" to my case. They said my request for reimbursement went to the highest level within Audi Flagship and that my request was denied because too much time has passed since the incident... what?! Let me get this straight, I experienced the EXACT incident referred to within the service action bulletin on the exact model year car and Audi is denying my request because too much time passed? How the heck does that make any sense? I have been a hardcore Audi R8 and Audi enthusiast for 6 years and have owned 2 of their flagship cars. Not very good customer retention if you ask me, and I'm just disappointed that they did not step on this one. I hope you guys have a better customer experience on this one.

If you haven't received a letter yet and own an R8 2008-2015, I would suggest contacting your Audi dealership and look into the coolant tank replacement. Either that or carry a fire extinguisher in your car.
    Last edited by Giggs; 05-07-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    '19 Lamborghini Huracan Performante

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Coolant Expansion Tank Tensioning Strap RANT - Service Action 19M4

Similar experience with mine. V early car.. had the strap fitted only 18 months ago by Audi. Still failed - and no desire by Audi to make good on the cost of a new tank. Laughable to think they issue a service action to prevent a problem, that happens anyway within 2 years of the preventative action.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements