jack stand question - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jack stand question

Re: jack stand question

Yes, I have a Quick Jack for more involved work. I love it. I built a jig to mount it on the wall.

I may be more paranoid than Starke, since I use jack stands WITH the Quick Jack.

But it's a hassle to pull out just for rotating the tires, or lifting the rear temporarily for an exhaust install. It will be a life saver for the oil changes, though.

I always leave the jack in place, with the jack stands, for redundancy.
    - Mythos Black Metallic '15 R8 V10 S-Tronic
    - Deep Black Pearl '17 Alltrack SE 1.8T DSG
    - Phantom Black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
    - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG (sold) - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS (sold) - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM (sold) - Black '89 80 manual (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I wish the Quick Jack company had an outlet here in Brasil, my car would never go to the dealers again as my R8 Tech comes to my place for anything that doesn't need to lift the car.
    they have one in UK or mexcio. I am sure they can figure out shpping opportunity for you :-)

But they have one in Germany...very good solution for the race track due to 12V and for my 2nd spot in my hobby workshop so I can lift up two cars at the same time. Spot one is with a 2 post lift where I need planks to get my R8 on, for quick things like tyre change that Quick check is the much better and comfortable tool. Always looking for something that makes working on my cars easier
    Last edited by Helldriver; 06-14-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Stärke View Post
    First off, I will state that there is no affiliation etc., but I'd like to point out an alternative to jack stands. A good friend of mine was nearly crushed by a car because a jack stand suddenly decided to fail. He was saved just because it was his lucky day. If you insist on using jack stands, ALWAYS put a wheel or some other beefy object under the car near where you are working. It will act as a safety stop should the jack stand give way.

I finally got scared of working under a car on jack stands and I was looking into a lift for my garage. The problem I had with a lift is that it took up a dedicated space and I would loose some flexibility with my floor space. In searching around I found a product called Quick Jack. It's two portable hydraulic lifts that you slide under the car to use. They then can be stored on a wall or on the floor out of the way.

They lift the car up maybe 18" or so and are really sturdy. They also lock in two raised heights, so you could leave the car up in the air indefinitely. I think the price is pretty reasonable and it is a heck of a lot easier to position an R8 on the lift points using this as opposed to positioning 4 jack stands using a floor jack.

But if you insist... hockey pucks are a great solution to the jack pad problem.
    good post. And I can fully agree on all your points regarding jack stands and floor jacks.

Can you please tell me which quick stand model you have, perfect solution for my 2nd spot in my hobby workshop. Spot 1 has a asymetric 2 post lift but its arms are too high to get my R8 on, so I need the plank trick which works but is pain in the ass. Most common jobs on R8 you need to lift the car a bit but you accutally don't have to work under the car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Helldriver View Post
    good post. And I can fully agree on all your points regarding jack stands and floor jacks.

Can you please tell me which quick stand model you have, perfect solution for my 2nd spot in my hobby workshop. Spot 1 has a asymetric 2 post lift but its arms are too high to get my R8 on, so I need the plank trick which works but is pain in the ass. Most common jobs on R8 you need to lift the car a bit but you accutally don't have to work under the car.
    In my dealers they have the same problem getting my car onto the 2 arm lift, my mechanic cut 4 blocks out of hard rubber, drive onto the blocks and the arms can now swing under.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

I bought the Quick Jack BL-5000SLX 5,000 lbs. It works under all my cars. I got it from Home Depot and they were running a sale at the time so I saved a few hundred bucks and got free shipping. I see you are in Switzerland, so you probably will have a different option to purchase. They have a chart on their website that helps you calculate which version of the lift you need based on wheelbase, weight etc. I would recommend using their sizing chart to make sure that it will work on multiple cars that you might own.

@stärke: Thanks, due to weight of all my cars I need the SLX 5000 too. Well for the classic mini racer it will be lifted with using them 90 degrees angle under the car. doesn't matter which model I use they will be to long. So instead one left and right, one for front axle one for rear.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    In my dealers they have the same problem getting my car onto the 2 arm lift, my mechanic cut 4 blocks out of hard rubber, drive onto the blocks and the arms can now swing under.
    well I tried that rubber block method too. doesn't work on mine as the floor is not even (surface is hanging to one side so fluid runs into drainage), the lift is even. So I have to get on right rear the R8 lifted by 8cm through stacked rubber mats (used planks before but they slide away) to get the arms under, forget to drive directly on a 8cm high rubber block.
    Last edited by Helldriver; 06-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.

@stärke: Thanks, due to weight of all my cars I need the SLX 5000 too. Well for the classic mini racer it will be lifted with using them 90 degrees angle under the car. doesn't matter which model I use they will be to long. So instead one left and right, one for front axle one for rear.
    That's a really good idea turning them 90 degrees. I've never thought of that or seen it done. It sure opens up a lot of options using them like that. You might even mention it to the Quick Jack people in case no one has thought of it.

I have a quick jack and just purchased my first R8, Decennium. Would you mind sending me a picture of where you placed your quick jack rubber blocks. Thank you!

I can't speak about the Decennium, but on the bottom of my 2010, there are distinct raised circles at the jack points. I used the shop manual as reference, but realistically, I would have found them without that help. On my car the rear points are slightly forward of the rear wheels and inboard maybe 10" or so. The front points are behind the front wheels and inboard at a similar distance. I don't know how low the Decennium is, but I could see the points when I was on the ground looking under the car with a flashlight. Hope that sort of helps.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12