jack stand question

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jack stand question

jack stand question

Has anyone used saddle-topped jack stands under the four lift points? I have the typical red Harbor Freight / Pep Boys 1.5 ton stands with the saddle/claw top. Flat-topped stands are $$$.

- Trimmed hockey puck?
    - Wooden jig?
    - Straight up with the polyurethane toppers?

TIA.
    - Mythos Black Metallic '15 R8 V10 S-Tronic
    - Deep Black Pearl '17 Alltrack SE 1.8T DSG
    - Phantom Black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
    - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG (sold) - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS (sold) - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM (sold) - Black '89 80 manual (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: jack stand question

I used some pieces of plyboard to spread the load and prevent the jack stands from marking the floor pan.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Yes I'm using saddle tops with 4 custom made polyurethane spacers that I bought on Ebay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Hockey pucks
    2014 R8 5.2 Spyder
    Panther Black Crystal

Like this?

jack stand question-hockey-puck-1.jpg

jack stand question-hockey-puck-2.jpg
    - Mythos Black Metallic '15 R8 V10 S-Tronic
    - Deep Black Pearl '17 Alltrack SE 1.8T DSG
    - Phantom Black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
    - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG (sold) - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS (sold) - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM (sold) - Black '89 80 manual (sold)

First off, I will state that there is no affiliation etc., but I'd like to point out an alternative to jack stands. A good friend of mine was nearly crushed by a car because a jack stand suddenly decided to fail. He was saved just because it was his lucky day. If you insist on using jack stands, ALWAYS put a wheel or some other beefy object under the car near where you are working. It will act as a safety stop should the jack stand give way.

I finally got scared of working under a car on jack stands and I was looking into a lift for my garage. The problem I had with a lift is that it took up a dedicated space and I would loose some flexibility with my floor space. In searching around I found a product called Quick Jack. It's two portable hydraulic lifts that you slide under the car to use. They then can be stored on a wall or on the floor out of the way.

They lift the car up maybe 18" or so and are really sturdy. They also lock in two raised heights, so you could leave the car up in the air indefinitely. I think the price is pretty reasonable and it is a heck of a lot easier to position an R8 on the lift points using this as opposed to positioning 4 jack stands using a floor jack.

But if you insist... hockey pucks are a great solution to the jack pad problem.

I wish the Quick Jack company had an outlet here in Brasil, my car would never go to the dealers again as my R8 Tech comes to my place for anything that doesn't need to lift the car.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Stärke View Post
    First off, I will state that there is no affiliation etc., but I'd like to point out an alternative to jack stands. A good friend of mine was nearly crushed by a car because a jack stand suddenly decided to fail. He was saved just because it was his lucky day. If you insist on using jack stands, ALWAYS put a wheel or some other beefy object under the car near where you are working. It will act as a safety stop should the jack stand give way.

I finally got scared of working under a car on jack stands and I was looking into a lift for my garage. The problem I had with a lift is that it took up a dedicated space and I would loose some flexibility with my floor space. In searching around I found a product called Quick Jack. It's two portable hydraulic lifts that you slide under the car to use. They then can be stored on a wall or on the floor out of the way.

They lift the car up maybe 18" or so and are really sturdy. They also lock in two raised heights, so you could leave the car up in the air indefinitely. I think the price is pretty reasonable and it is a heck of a lot easier to position an R8 on the lift points using this as opposed to positioning 4 jack stands using a floor jack.

But if you insist... hockey pucks are a great solution to the jack pad problem.
    Starke, so I am guessing that you have used these on your R8. Did you have any trouble lining up the jack points under the car with the Quick Jack? What type of maintenance do you do on your R8 that you use the Quick Jack for? Thanks.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajsherrill View Post
    Starke, so I am guessing that you have used these on your R8. Did you have any trouble lining up the jack points under the car with the Quick Jack? What type of maintenance do you do on your R8 that you use the Quick Jack for? Thanks.

AJ
    Yes, I've used the Quick Jack with the R8. The way it works is that they have rubber blocks that you position on the trays. So the way I positioned things is that I lined up the trays under the car and then put the rubber blocks where I thought it was pretty close. Then I raise the trays to almost contacting the bottom of the car. I check to see if the points are all lined up, do any adjustment and then raise to contact. One last look and then up she goes.

It's a pretty versatile set up and I can use it on a wide range of cars. It's also pretty low profile so I can get it under virtually anything. You could always use the old trick of driving up on a couple planks if your car is way too low, but it's no problem under my R8 which is stock height.

I just do general stuff like changing tires and oil on my other cars. On the R8, I haven't done an oil change because I think it looks like a pain in the butt and I don't feel like dealing with it. I may change my mind sometime, but right now, I'd rather pay to have it taken care of. I did use the Quick Jack when I did my shock refurbishing project. The ability to lock it in place for an indefinite time was really great. I would not have been all that happy with the car on jack stands for nearly a month.

I was so happy to be able to point out to my wife that the Quick Jack basically paid for itself a couple times over on that project. (Gotta keep justifying the tool habit...) I've never figured out why new shoes don't seem to need to be justified as a ROI item, but buy a new shop vac and I have to fill out an expense report...

Quote Originally Posted by Stärke View Post
    Yes, I've used the Quick Jack with the R8. The way it works is that they have rubber blocks that you position on the trays. So the way I positioned things is that I lined up the trays under the car and then put the rubber blocks where I thought it was pretty close. Then I raise the trays to almost contacting the bottom of the car. I check to see if the points are all lined up, do any adjustment and then raise to contact. One last look and then up she goes.

It's a pretty versatile set up and I can use it on a wide range of cars. It's also pretty low profile so I can get it under virtually anything. You could always use the old trick of driving up on a couple planks if your car is way too low, but it's no problem under my R8 which is stock height.

I just do general stuff like changing tires and oil on my other cars. On the R8, I haven't done an oil change because I think it looks like a pain in the butt and I don't feel like dealing with it. I may change my mind sometime, but right now, I'd rather pay to have it taken care of. I did use the Quick Jack when I did my shock refurbishing project. The ability to lock it in place for an indefinite time was really great. I would not have been all that happy with the car on jack stands for nearly a month.

I was so happy to be able to point out to my wife that the Quick Jack basically paid for itself a couple times over on that project. (Gotta keep justifying the tool habit...) I've never figured out why new shoes don't seem to need to be justified as a ROI item, but buy a new shop vac and I have to fill out an expense report...
    HAHAHAHA.... I agree. If it were clothes or shoes it would be fine...Thanks for the reply. That tells me what I need to know.

AJ

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast