Rusted bolts

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Rusted bolts

Rusted bolts

I follow this guy on YouTube. Has some interesting posts. I’m dealing with my 62 Econoline right now and rusted nuts and bolts are a plenty.
    https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs
    2014 R8 5.2 Spyder
    Panther Black Crystal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

On this topic, don't throw those rusty bolts away! I soaked them in vinegar and salt over night then sprayed them with a matte black rust inhibitor.. I usually replace but those collared bolts are $20 each from Audi!

Rusted bolts-20190718_112033.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rusted bolts-20190715_180445_1563405840846.jpg  
    Last edited by Amdaman; 07-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Re: Rusted bolts

If bolts are rusty, I usually replace them. Depending on what they are used for, I can source them from a few nut and bolt places like Nutty Bolt up here in the desert or Rainbow Bolt down the hill in Corona, especially F911 when needed. I have been switching things out with countersunk body washers from aa-mfg.com if I can use them. Really cleans things up over just a washer and bolt.
    Last edited by JosB; 07-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I've replaced the normal hex ones as they were only $1 each. The collared hex ones are quite expensive though;

If you find those anywhere else let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Amdaman View Post
    I've replaced the normal hex ones as they were only $1 each. The collared hex ones are quite expensive though;

If you find those anywhere else let me know.
    Just need the size of the screw. Looks like maybe a 6mmx1.0 or 5mmx1.0? Can someone confirm the size and pitch?

8. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements