Audi R8 Forums banner

Clutch Replacement Questions

11K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  billco 
#1 ·
Hi All,

So my clutch went out Saturday night, and as I feared it appears to be the slave cylinder (weeping from the bell housing). As the slave is internal (is my understanding) my assumption is addressing the clutch as well makes sense and is in line with what my shop is recommending (particularly considering the car has 75k miles and I don't have records of the clutch being done by the previous owner).

My questions are:

What is the general recommendation with regard to clutch replacement? Just clutch? Clutch/bearing/flywheel? etc.

Is kevlar worth the premium with just bolt ons (Exhaust, reid intakes, tune) and no plans for more power?

Any recommended sources for clutch replacement parts (OEM new)? I love my indy shop, but they tend to charge sticker for parts, which is fine on little stuff, but I will likely try and source these parts myself as I suspect finding them cheaper than Audi sticker price shouldn't be too difficult.

Vendors are welcome to PM me pricing.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Randy

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought my clutch and throw out bearing from ULTIMATEPD, Shardul from this forum. It was for the V10. I then had my indy shop replace it for me. I have a 2009 R8 4.2 6MT. It had around 68k on it when I had to replace those items. I did bot go for the kevlar clutch because I could not justify the cost of it. They will last longer I am told, but like I said I could not justify it.

#4 ·
Sounds good R8-Stuff, I'll look for your PM.

#6 ·
Do you have experience with the Kevlar clutch? I've seen the claims they make, just haven't seen much independent assessment of them.

#22 ·
If anyone is looking for clutch related parts, I've ordered just about all of them. My R8 has gone through 2 clutch replacements and has had almost every part fail in the 90K miles it has.

Email info@r8stuff.com and a guy named Osman will help you out.

He was able to recommend what parts I needed, and beat Audi dealer prices. His stuff is new in the package - really helpful when ordering some super obscure clutch/trans related stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.