R8 V8 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R8 V8 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

R8 V8 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

Hi all,

I recently joined the forum and bought a 2008 R8 V8 last week (Thursday) from a dealer in UK.

Today I have noticed something which is similar to what a couple of other members on here have experienced. I noticed the top right corner of the engine bay window steaming up. When I stopped the car, lots of steam started coming from the engine bay. Almost looked like the engine was on fire, but was not that type of smell. I opened the engine bay door and the steam reduced and then stopped. I could see it was coming mainly from the top right of the engine, near the coolant tank. I then noticed that there was liquid dripping out of the bottom/back of the coolant tank. This is what I believe is causing the steam, a coolant leak. In fact I've checked the coolant level at the end of today and it has gone from full to almost empty!

I'm going to call the car dealer tomorrow to explain the problem. It came with a third party warranty but it would be easier if the dealer just offered to cover the cost of the repair.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what I should expect in this type of issue? Is it simply just a coolant tank replacement? Approximate costs? Should I go to Audi main dealer or just get an independent audi garage to check it out and supply parts?

I've taken off the engine bay panel covering the coolant tank and can't see any visual damage/leaks, so I assume it's leaking from directly underneath the tank or from the pipes that go into the back of it.

Thanks
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 V8 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

Go to the dealer and use your 3rd party warranty.

It is not the first time I have heard of leaking reservoir tanks and sometimes caps.

If your warranty company are not interested and you fancy a drive down to Gloucester, let me know and we can remedy the issue for you.

I hope the warranty company just get you back on the road ASAP.

Cheers Ricky

Did you find out what the issue was? Same thing just happened to me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Same happened with me, I replaced the coolant tank since it was leaking on my V8 as well.

There's also a hose leak remained which the dealer said no issue since its dripping very little but will replace it later since its a backorder item :-(. I will post a pic later.

Just had mine replaced on my 2010 V10 with 18000 miles. Service adviser said he believes the new one is an improved design an Audi has fixed a known issue. I take that to mean a lot of us will be seeing this problem sooner or later. The good thing is I dropped the car off yesterday morning without an appointment (just showed up when they were about to open) and got my car back this afternoon. Part was overnighted from stock already in the country. Absolutely outstanding service and only $85 with my CPO warranty. Sunset is awesome.

Porsche Cayenne's and Audi Q7's use the same expansion tank. Only see the Cayenne's come in with the expansion tank leaking. Maybe the Q7's got the re designed model, idk.
    ^R8 Tech

When I started my car at the gym/spa, the others thought the back of the car was on fire. There was so much smoke coming from the exhaust it was unbelievable.

But no smell of smoke. Turns out it was close to 0C and with a lot of rain droplets inside the exhaust, it was like contrails from a jet exhaust, as soon as I started it. Our guess anyway. I did not see any other tell tale signs and the amount of this smoke/condensation is directly proportional to the level of precipitation in the air.

But Ricky knows best.

Just having the header tank on my 10 V10 (26k miles) replaced after it split along the seam yesterday.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Yes, it always seems to be on the cold snaps too.....I think its because it sits right above the exhaust manifold and the massive temperature variations just cause the seams to weaken.

Done 2 so far this year already.......

Cheers Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky.REP View Post
    Yes, it always seems to be on the cold snaps too.....I think its because it sits right above the exhaust manifold and the massive temperature variations just cause the seams to weaken.

Done 2 so far this year already.......

Cheers Ricky
    Ricky, I've heard that replacement one have been modified to make them more robust. Do you know if this is the case?
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast