Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?

Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?

Hi guys, first post here.

I have a 2015 manual R8 V10 and I'm looking for shift knob options. The MAcarbon folks don't have
    http://www.macarbon.com/index.php?pa...hk=1&Itemid=30

in stock so I was wondering if the Gallardo shift knob

http://www.lambostuff.com/xq/asp/pri...qx/product.htm

work work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?

You would need to verify thread, R8 is 8 x 1.25. But you should check out this vendor here, https://www.r8talk.com/forums/45-vend...tml#post937769. Makes custom knobs at a much lower price than that Lambo site.
    Or if you like Carbon Fiber another vendor here has them http://www.euroboutique.us/?product_...t_type=product

Here is mineGallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?-shifter2.jpg
    Last edited by RS4Cab; 06-12-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    2015 Blu Caelum Huracan LP-610-4. VF800 Supercharged, Fabspeed Supersport Valved Exhaust.
    2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige Navarra Blue
    2018 Lotus Red Evora 400 Manual

Gone
    2012 Red R8 V10 6sp, VF-750 Supercharger, Tubi Rumore Exhaust
    Gone
    2009 R8 V8, 6SP Manual. Silver/Black,Stasis Supercharged,

Quote Originally Posted by RS4Cab View Post
    You would need to verify thread, R8 is 8 x 1.25. But you should check out this vendor here, https://www.r8talk.com/forums/45-vend...tml#post937769. Makes custom knobs at a much lower price than that Lambo site.
    Or if you like Carbon Fiber another vendor here has them http://www.euroboutique.us/?product_...t_type=product

Here is mineClick image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter2.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	130681

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about WC LatheWerks. Looks like good stuff.

Some questions --
    how did you decide between stainless steel vs. titanium? Which looks closer to "stock"?
    Any concerns about the extra weight of the stainless steel on the transmission?
    Thanks,
    Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I have the WC Lathe Werks Stainless Steel Sphere on mine.

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=414

It looks pretty much the same as the one in the Lamborghini and is much nicer than stock.

I didn't like the look of the coloured or Titanium, wouldn't match the interior style as well in my opinion.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT - Brilliant Red w/Carbon Blade
    2012 Nissan GTR Daytona Blue - Sold!

I have the MaCarbon knob and really like it. A lot of the companies that make carbon fiber knobs add metal inside to give it more weight. People think that it improves shifter feel to have the knob be heavier. (I have not tested it myself). I had a Lotus Elise and people were selling "heavy" shift knobs claiming to improve the feel of the shifter. And that is on the relatively flimsy Toyota tranny. So I would not think there would be any weight related issues with our cars.

I thought it would be good idea to resurrect old thread on Lambo style shift knob.
    I had this "Lamborghini approved" ball for years and decided to put it in a good use. R8 knob, while being stylish did not give me that shifting experience I am used to. It was a different feel and perhaps I had not spend enough time to get full taste out of it. Shifter mechanism is one of the points transmitting the character of the car to a driver, thus an important part of overall tactile sensation of driving.
    The size of the ball is critical in my opinion too. Later Werks offers interesting solutions at very competitive price, but not something I like. (Their ball is actually too big)
    Longs story short, I had to manufacture insert to fully integrate shift rod length and proper knob size. As I had shift pattern already engraved on a ball, it took some thin shims to fully align knob.
    This is my first mod on R8 and very happy with result: it feels just right, perhaps the way it should be from factory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?-knob1.jpg   Gallardo shift knob on manual transmission R8?-knob.jpg  
    Last edited by andy bell; 08-31-2018 at 12:57 AM.

I have the macarbon knob. It is way too light compared to the stock knob that it makes the shifting experience feel too notchy and imbalanced. The stock knob feels far superior, but I still use the macarbon knob because I like the appearance. Does anyone have any ideas how to add weight to the macarbon knob that doesn’t look jerry rigged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hamannperformance View Post
    I have the macarbon knob. It is way too light compared to the stock knob that it makes the shifting experience feel too notchy and imbalanced. The stock knob feels far superior, but I still use the macarbon knob because I like the appearance. Does anyone have any ideas how to add weight to the macarbon knob that doesn’t look jerry rigged?

I have not seen macarbon, but if there are empty/void spot in there, just add buckshot or birdshot lead with some glue
    Last edited by andy bell; 09-02-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Thank you for the idea. I took off the macarbon knob and compared the weight to stock weight. It is actually quite a bit heavier than the stock knob. However the weight is all at the bottom where the metal is and feels unbalanced making the shifts feel very notchy. I feel like the macarbon knob May work better at a taller height like you have with your insert. Can I ask what company or machines you used to make your insert. It looks great. Thank you

It was machined and polished by local no name turning shop from quality aluminium. I did the drawing, but it was knob specific. In total, it is about 5mm taller than stock knob height

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast