Help on rear bumper cover reinforcement

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Help on rear bumper cover reinforcement

Help on rear bumper cover reinforcement

I recently removed the rear bumper cover on my 4.2L Spyder to find that the plastic reinforcement located on the inside of the bumper cover were cracked causing the exhaust tip to be loose (part # 470 802 320 CGRU). See photo attached. The reinforcement is pop riveted to the cover and are to what the exhaust tips are bolted. The cracked one is the passenger side. To my dismay, I have discovered that Audi no longer sells the plastic part separate from the bumper cover, meaning that they want me to buy and paint a complete bumper cover for about $1500 to replace the $50 plastic reinforcement! I have been scouring the internet, worldwide to find the part, or a damaged bumper cover to remove the part I need. So far I have only found after market refurbished covers in the $500-750 range. Does anyone have either a damaged rear bumper cover they want to sell, or have an idea to avoid this outrageous expense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help on rear bumper cover reinforcement-rear-bumper-cover.jpg  

2012 Spyder 4.2L, Daytona Gray; carbon fiber louvers, fuel cap, center console, navigation surround, outer door handles, shifter paddles; Remote top control; Vivid TCU/ECU; Power Pedal; satin black emblems; Armytrix exhuast w/ CF exhaust tips; blackout marker lights; blackout grill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Help on rear bumper cover reinforcement

Have you thought about trying some epoxy on the crack?
    2018 Mercedes C 63S coupe inbound

Just to clarify - Audi has never sold this part separately.

There are many instances where you will see a reference stamped on part - however, it will not be listed in the parts catalogue and is an internal Audi ref only.

The only way to find one is to take one from another bumper...sorry.
    OEM Audi Parts
    Audi Porsche FerrariLamborghini

Superb prices ! Exclusive products ! Fast shipping

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Really sux. If you guys come across a damaged bumper cover, let me know. I need the passenger side reinforment.

2012 Spyder 4.2L, Daytona Gray; carbon fiber louvers, fuel cap, center console, navigation surround, outer door handles, shifter paddles; Remote top control; Vivid TCU/ECU; Power Pedal; satin black emblems; Armytrix exhuast w/ CF exhaust tips; blackout marker lights; blackout grill.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsracing View Post
    Really sux. If you guys come across a damaged bumper cover, let me know. I need the passenger side reinforment.
    After shipping, would probably not be much cheaper than the $700 or so that you have already been quoted.

Best wishes.
    OEM Audi Parts
    Audi Porsche FerrariLamborghini

Superb prices ! Exclusive products ! Fast shipping

3m panel bond (Part # 3m 8115) and some reinforcement mesh (drywall tape style) will fix it right up and not break. In the body shop industry, its a pretty normal fix. Had to repair my rear cover reinforcement as well.

thx for the tip. I found a cover locally, w/ the reinforce intact. $225, I lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Kustoms View Post
    3m panel bond (Part # 3m 8115) and some reinforcement mesh (drywall tape style) will fix it right up and not break. In the body shop industry, its a pretty normal fix. Had to repair my rear cover reinforcement as well.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements