Audi R8 Forums banner

Gen 1 Spyder aftermarket side blade?

32K views 119 replies 27 participants last post by  EnerG_CEO 
#1 ·
even after a few years I love our spyder just as much as the day we got it, but ive always felt visually it missed a defining mark with not having any of the coupe's side blade. I cant justify in my mind swapping to the new car, but I do like how they integrated a mini side blade into the gen 2. I played with some black vinyl making a faux blade, but it looked bad on my sepang car....ive seen it look good on some other colors though. does anyone make a CF blade aftermarket for a gen 1 spider?

Thanks!

rm

#5 ·
Osman,
I'd be interested in purchasing a set of these for my Gen1 Spyder. Have you had any other interest to get the project moving? How many sets would you need to get buyers for before starting?

#4 ·
Thanks! The mansory piece is what I had in mind but wow, that price:) sounds like best to hold off for now..thanks again!

#6 ·
I would be interested as well.

#12 ·
It would definitely be cool. Here is a mock up on a Gen 1 and having the right blade would be a nice touch.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

#14 ·
#13 ·
Sort of on topic. Was driving in some decent rain yesterday and looking down my left side watching how the rain channeled up over the rear fender. When I tilted the mirror down I'd swear I could see air/water buffeting and such at the side intake. Definitely not a smooth flow. I'm wondering if the side intake tubing and such can't actually handle all the air trying to enter?

#15 ·
Think of the intake like a straw. Can’t suck up **** unless it’s submerged right. It’s unlikely there’s enough vacuum to draw moisture up and into the intake system. The NSX guys run intakes that draw from rear fender vent without issue. I did and daily drove it in WA state haha.

#16 ·
ATTN: Gen1 R8 Spyder Owners
Trying to put together something for all of us GEN1 R8 spyder owners

I’m speaking to a few local people who may be interested in making these for us.

Need to gauge how much interest there is, please comment below and add your name if you would be interested. Price is not confirmed but I’m hoping under $1,000?
NOTE: This is not a commitment as I understand asking for a commitment to buy without a price is not reasonable. This is just to see who would be interested

Reactions: Gadgetphreak
#17 ·
I am in. If the price is fair, the product is of good quality and the installation is completely reversible, sign me up!!!!

Thx for taking this on...interested to see where it goes.

#19 ·
Did they give any idea of cost?

#23 ·
View attachment 233070

I ended up doing a vinyl wrap to get the carbon fiber look. I did a matte vinyl to match the rest of my car. I think it looks pretty good... and for like $40, well worth it.
Ya I've seen this done and while it gives somewhat of the look, it's not for me personally. I want the actual piece like the gen2.

#25 ·
Justneel, no offense but CF tape is just that. You have a stunning car already. Anyone into cars will know it’s just tape. You don’t need to fake it. You drive the real deal. Envy of many. I’d pass on the fake CF thing.

#27 ·
Any updates on this?

#31 ·
I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen through this vendor. You would think they would have responded with something by now

#32 ·
Who knows! I will send another e-mail now and see if they respond. But you could be right, maybe they realized its not so easy? Seems easy to me, if you have the means to do something like this in the first place.

#34 ·
We could make something like this but would need to have approx 12-15 firm commitments (deposits) to get the moulding and tooling set up.
The cost would work out to approx $2,000-2,500 per set and would take approx 2 months to have done.
We did the same 6 years ago when we made the first aftermarket GT wings.

Kind regards

#38 ·
The only thing that would make me hesitate is the sight unseen factor. I wouldn't want to commit and spend my money without knowing what it was going to look like. Otherwise I would say I am definitely interested. An example of what i mean would be like the Mansory unit. I don't particularly care for its look with what they did in the center of the scoop/blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.