Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first R8 and need help to guide me on which one I should get.
Here is the story:
Both cars are V8 Auto with the same color.
1st R8 is stock with 31K miles with extended warranty.
Service:
shocks been replaced with new OEM ones 7K miles
A/C never needed replacement
fresh service and clear bill of health
was able to test drive it.

2nd R8 is modified with Carbon wing/Stasis Exhaust, carbon fiber interior and engine bay, aftermarket Recaro seats but with 71k miles. (Seller says it has 20K in upgrades)
Service:
shocks been replaced with traditional coil overs
A/C was never replaced but work
Clutch was replaced around 51K miles
Out of state R8 so I am unable to test drive (touch and smell)

This will be a weekend car and will put about 2K miles a year.

Help me decide before I go mad :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've seen the 2nd R8 you're talking about online. It looks to be in great condition and tasteful mods.

But I'd be more tempted to do the lower mile one if it were me.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Without sharing the price difference, it’s impossible to answer in any useful way, other than to say the low miles one would be preferable, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Unless you really like the mods on the high mileage car, go for the 31k car. Can always mod it yourself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mods are nice, but the lower mileage appeals more to me. And, you get to do Your mods the way you want.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for giving me their opinion. I guess the bottom line is, does the mods (and they look very tastefully done and they are something that I want to do no matter what) worth the extra miles or wait a year and put the mods myself on the lower mileage car (exhaust + Tune)

After you add sales tax and shipping, cars are the same price.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thank you everyone for giving me their opinion. I guess the bottom line is, does the mods (and they look very tastefully done and they are something that I want to do no matter what) worth the extra miles or wait a year and put the mods myself on the lower mileage car (exhaust + Tune)

Think you answered the question there yourself. I'd definitely go for the lower mileage car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
To me, it's a lot of miles on the car. I only do 1-2k per year myself. The lower mileage car will also have better resale if you care about that down the line with you adding 2k per year. I looked at a TT V10 car 2009 with around 11k miles on it for around 125k. At the time, the car was probably worth 100-105k, and the mods were probably around 45-50k. The car was 2000 miles away. I took a flight to check it out. It was a really clean, nice car. I did not like the Rtronic Trans and was also concerned about having the custom TT setup. The TT was done out of Chicago, which I wasn't excited about in case I had problems. Then I saw a low mileage (900 miles) 2014 Stronic for sale, got it for 139k, no mods. I liked the fact that it was stock, low miles and then I ended up doing my own mods including exhaust, rims, wing and super charger within a couple of years. I have a fairly local shop that works on the car and am glad I went this route. With all of that being said, you need to figure out which one floats your boat and go for it. Good Luck.

·
Chassis Engineer
133 Posts
Agreed with these guys and pompeyreece. It certainly doesn't seem that the mods are worth 40,000 miles. That's 15-20 years worth of miles for most R8 owners and it sounds like yourself. Exhaust and tune on the lower mileage car with the extended warranty seems like your best path.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts

Go with the low mileage car, as everyone so far has suggested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Go for the Lower mileage

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will make my offer for the lower miles one. Thank you all for your advise and options. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
keep in mind that you can always modify that lower mileage r8 similar or almost identical to the high mileage r8 (if you like the way it looks) but you can never turn back the odometer of the high mileage car so always go with the lower miles not unless it has a salvaged title and the high miles has the clean one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Think you answered the question there yourself. I'd definitely go for the lower mileage car.
+1 this

A 71k mile car will have more wear tear. You want it to feel nice for a weekend drive
71k car will be harder to sell
No way these cars are the same price. Mod's have $0 resale

Always buy the best car. You can do an exhaust and other items as needed.

Plus I drove the Statis on a V10, droned like crazy vs. my Kline dual valved, so factor in you might not like the exhaust

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am selling my 2010 Audi R8 V8 manual in perfect condition*

It is wrapped in clear vinyl*

I have just replaced the shocks and added K&N air filters.

You can see it on Ebay or Denver Craigslist for $68,500

Contact me with questions at 5zero39one33one52

1 - 15 of 15 Posts