Audi R8 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey R8 gang. I'm not an R8 owner, but more than passionate Audi driver.

In case you are interrested:

I was lucky enough to drive the Audi R8 V10 this summer on some of the best alpine roads & passes (Timmelsjoch, Passo Stelvio, San Bernardino pass, Passo Pordoi,...).

How it all began can be found here:
http://blog.audidriven.net/2009/06/dream-alpine-routes-audi-r8-v10.html

And 1st part of the day 1 report:
http://blog.audidriven.net/2009/09/day-1-r8-v10-alpine-adventure.html

More to come soon...enjoy

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Now that looks like a great time. I can see why you enjoyed it so much.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
roadrunner.......PLEASE set this trip up again for next summer! I'll ship my V10 over and I'm sure we can get a bunch of others to join in on this great adventure!!!!

Consider it! What a trip we could all have and what a get exposition of Audi power we could exhibit to the world. Maybe you can get Audi to sponsor us!!!! :)

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now that looks like a great time. I can see why you enjoyed it so much.
My best (Audi) driving time ever. And you guys probably already know: the top speed is of academic importance. The torque & acceleration and especially driving the R8 in mountains is the true pleasure :D

I almost forgot: the sound - or as it occured to me: music :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadrunner.......PLEASE set this trip up again for next summer! I'll ship my V10 over and I'm sure we can get a bunch of others to join in on this great adventure!!!!

Consider it! What a trip we could all have and what a get exposition of Audi power we could exhibit to the world. Maybe you can get Audi to sponsor us!!!! :)

Steve
Steve, i will give it a thought. Not that i would not want to :D It's a question of time and money. But i will give it a thought ;) (July & Aug. 2010?)

And believe me. Our route is only the tip of the iceberg. I got the german language "bible" of the alpine passes (more than 400 passes described). Going through it, i have already other tours in my head:

- one France oriented, with the highest Alpine pass (Cime de la Bonette, Col de l'Iseran, Col de Turini,...)
- another in the Dolomites
- and a third one Switzerland focused (Grimselpass, Furkapass, Nufenenpass,...)

Not to forget my home country Austria: Grossglockner, Silvretta, Staller Sattel, ...

There are beauties (passes) out there, that wait to be driven with a proper Audi.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I did the Grimsel-Furka-Oberalp route once, enroute from Interlaken to Austria
and I recall that as spectacular; it was early summer, and the passes were just open (the ones that have winter closure--and I believe those do, or did then). One of them was not paved over the top section then (Furka?), though it was good gravel, and was awesomely steep and without any barriers or guard rails in many parts! DEFINITELY "WORTH A DETOUR" if not a JOURNEY as the Michelin guide says!

check this out...on sport bikes!!
http://www.roadmc.com/default.asp?pub=0&sub=6&labb=US
hit Switzerland, Furkapass (or any of your choice) also be sure to check out the Trollstigen in Norway: on that one my wife kept her eyes closed the entire way!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would also love to join the "Europe-R8 V10 Thrill Adventure"!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you continue like this, we will have to do it :D

I will have to look into the Audi sponsorship, even if it is "only" providing me the R8 V10 a second time :D

Just to make you more ancious - the split of motor vehicles we encountered:

90% motorbikes
05% bicycles (my outmost respect)
04% family minivans & stationwagons
01% sportcars (another R8 parked at summit, 1x KTM X-bow, some Porsches, 1x Ferrari)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bring it on!!

Just one minor question - I remember going over the highest pass in the Rockies in an ancient Ford Fairlane and had to get the carburettor adjusted to cope with the lack of oxygen. Has technology moved on from there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bring it on!!

Just one minor question - I remember going over the highest pass in the Rockies in an ancient Ford Fairlane and had to get the carburettor adjusted to cope with the lack of oxygen. Has technology moved on from there?
I sure hope, because we only stopped to take the mandatory pictures :D

Sidenote: we got the oil temperature only twice to rice, and never into red. And as you already read: we were on the fast lane all the way up

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I remember taking a turbo diesel X5 over some of these passes a few years ago and you could hear the turbo really struggling to bite in the thin air.

Interestingly I also got a headache and my friends lighter wouldn't work..

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I remember taking a turbo diesel X5 over some of these passes a few years ago and you could hear the turbo really struggling to bite in the thin air.

That's good! The last thing you need would be breathing 2nd hand smoke at that elevation! :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

Sniffing the lighter will do that to you ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
LOL to both.

This forum is good for a laugh (and a few other things)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.