Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future owner here and planning to purchase in spring 2020. Used to sell Audis and owned a B8.5 S5 6MT for a few years before having a baby last year which made me pickup a new civic type R. Before you ask why, I wanted newer tech and didnt want to give up manual, plus I have been a Honda kid most of life, (accords, built prelude, rsx-s, tl, ridgeline, mdx-currently) BUT most importantly it has an easy backseat for the baby carrier.

Now to the point: Looking at to pickup a 11+ R8 v10 manual. I am torn on the spyder or coupe. My biggest concern with spyder is the roof leaks and would like really like to hear from some current or previous spyder owners on that.

In regards to the v10 do they still suffer from the AC issue, alot of the comments around that seem to apply to the v8. I assuming the AC is in a diff location on the v10 due to the motor size.

Are the frame cracks still relevant thru the entire gen 1 range? Or is there a MY it was permanently corrected?

As my only option will be a manual, what is the average life most owners have gotten? From what I have seen alot say around 30k which also happens to be where alot of these cars sit for sale. Not sure if its the 35k service that makes people sell or if its the clutch wear.

I will definitely be getting a PPI done and will also purchase the fidelity warranty.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 2010 v10 (29k miles) roof does not leak, nor has any wind noises. It is very solid and sealed even at 200mph.
I have checked the frame and with build date 06/2010 it is already reinforced at front shocks.
Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2010 v10 (29k miles) roof does not leak, nor has any wind noises. It is very solid and sealed even at 200mph.
I have checked the frame and with build date 06/2010 it is already reinforced at front shocks.
Good luck
That is good to hear. Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about roof leaks. Mine is at 25k and doesn’t leak. I’ve never even heard of a leak - probably because most people don’t drive in the rain and hand wash. A ~200k car (new) better not leak!

Spyder with exhaust upgrade in sport mode is sex on wheels!

-td

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2014 Spyder, no roof leaks ever. As for my AC I live in Miami (hot as ****) and my AC is cold! Never a problem!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn’t worry about roof leaks. Mine is at 25k and doesn’t leak. I’ve never even heard of a leak - probably because most people don’t drive in the rain and hand wash. A ~200k car (new) better not leak!

Spyder with exhaust upgrade in sport mode is sex on wheels!

-td
I have a 2014 Spyder, no roof leaks ever. As for my AC I live in Miami (hot as ****) and my AC is cold! Never a problem!!!
I am really enjoying all this positivity on the spyder. Looks like I really will land there. I watched a few youtube reviews and a couple mentioned leaky roof for the spyder.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have owned three R8s, two coupes and 1 Spyder.

I feel the Spyder is the best of both worlds. I like the engine under glass of the coupe but also like the "me under the sun" aspect of the Spyder.

Roof leaking....never heard of that happening and have not experienced it.

My AC did fail with just 13k miles. Replaced under warranty.

The frame issue does not apply to Spyders. They all have the reinforcement from the factory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2011 V10 Spyder with 17K miles. No roof leaks and A/C works great (knock on wood). Only issue with the Spyder vs the Coupe is reduced storage (none behind the seats) with only the Frunk. Also, the seats do not slide as far back as the Coupe so if you're taller than 6' 0" with longer than 32" inseam then leg room is an issue. I like the look of the Spyder better than the coupe (top up or down) and having the ability to go top down on nice days is a big plus. Manual clutch should last longer than a R-tronic since there is less slipping going on at slow speeds, with inclines and or reversing. As with any clutch, it depends on how you drive. Frame issue shouldn't be a problem since all Spyders have the reinforcement.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Agreed on the legroom. I am 6ft, 200lbs with a 32 inseam. I am comfortable but my coupes definitely had a little more legroom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have owned three R8s, two coupes and 1 Spyder.

I feel the Spyder is the best of both worlds. I like the engine under glass of the coupe but also like the "me under the sun" aspect of the Spyder.

Roof leaking....never heard of that happening and have not experienced it.

My AC did fail with just 13k miles. Replaced under warranty.

The frame issue does not apply to Spyders. They all have the reinforcement from the factory.
Agreed on the legroom. I am 6ft, 200lbs with a 32 inseam. I am comfortable but my coupes definitely had a little more legroom.
Awesome! I figure the fidelity warranty should cover the A/C piece if I happen to experience but after all that makes the spyder more appealing given the ability for more natural air. Thanks for the feedback! I think spyder it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
2012 spyder. Normally don’t drive in rain - why take it out if you can’t put the top down haha - but have gotten caught a couple times. No leaks. I will say when I wash it there might be a drop or 2 of water on the inside of the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2012 spyder. Normally don’t drive in rain - why take it out if you can’t put the top down haha - but have gotten caught a couple times. No leaks. I will say when I wash it there might be a drop or 2 of water on the inside of the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea the car wash would def be my concern. I typically use a foam cannon with power washer on all my cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome! I figure the fidelity warranty should cover the A/C piece if I happen to experience but after all that makes the spyder more appealing given the ability for more natural air. Thanks for the feedback! I think spyder it is.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that Fidelity Warranty stopped covering spyders unless they are still under the original warranty. Is this still the situation?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome! I figure the fidelity warranty should cover the A/C piece if I happen to experience but after all that makes the spyder more appealing given the ability for more natural air. Thanks for the feedback! I think spyder it is.

I was under the impression that Fidelity Warranty stopped covering spyders unless they are still under the original warranty. Is this still the situation?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know about that myself. May need to do some more research

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
Spyder owners can comment here, but I believe Fidelity may have stopped offering extended warranties on the spyders a little while back. I know Audi Pure Protection is still available for them, but it specifically excludes anything related to the convertible top (see exclusions image below).

Regarding the reason you're seeing cars in the mileage range you are - I don't think it's related to the 35k service costs or clutch wear. Just a product of age and how much the cars are typically driven. Most of these cars will see between 1k - 5k miles a year. So, a MY11 - 12 would be 8 - 9 years old now, meaning quite a few will be between 25k - 30k miles if driven an average amount (e.g. ~3k/year).

VSP - Platinum Exclusions.jpg

·
Registered
591 Posts
That is correct. Fidelity DOES NOT cover Spyders. I recently went through this. Audi Pure Protection does cover Spyders.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
2011 V10 Spyder here with no leaks. Perhaps the odd drip when washing with high pressure but not all the time.

I had a V10 coupe prior to this and I can say with all certainty that the Spyder is the one to have, for me at least. There’s no replacement to top down driving and hearing that glorious V10 sitting only inches behind your head. Just make sure you get an aftermarket exhaust right away!

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
2012 V10 Spyder here. Bought used with 26k miles and went on an 8,000 mile road trip in the first month of ownership through all sorts of weather (everything except snow) with no issues. Car just passed 40K miles last month.

AC compressor was replaced by previous owner, if I remember correctly Carfax said around 12K miles.
I've had the car over a year now and the only issues I've had are:
- slight leak at oil pump when I bought it
- the oil temp sensor went out 2 weeks ago
- one time the battery got too low from sitting too long off the trickle charger and i had the alarm beeping issue after going for a brief spin. 1 overnight on the charger and it fixed itself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts