Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than the ash tray are there any outlets close to the dash area? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
other than the ash tray are there any outlets close to the dash area? Thanks
Long stretch for the radar detector cord, huh. I think the only other outlet is in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Oh, I forgot....it is a pain in the butt that the socket in the trunk (boot) isn't hot when the car is off. This makes it a pain to hook up a trickle charger. You need to connect directly to the battery....via either a set of battery clamps to a 12V socket end.....or directly! What lousy thinking. (But is have to say, my M6 is the same way!) :)

Steve

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Is the glove hot with key out? :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
.it is a pain in the butt that the socket in the trunk (boot) isn't hot when the car is off. This makes it a pain to hook up a trickle charger.
that's strange - my dealership had their r8 hooked up to a trickle charger into that socket and obviously they didn't have the keys left in it.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Hum...I'll have to see. Maybe they did leave that one (glove box) hot?????

I did test the boot socket and it was dead! Maybe there is a way to re-wire it to keep it hot, but my dealer didn't mention that when we were testing it!

I'll check it out again!

I know that the boot light stays on for about 10 minutes and then turn itself off.

Steve

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Audi trying to save a few $$$$ on this setup. Usually there is an outlet in the passenger
side panel

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Well I tried them all again....first with the power on and then with it off. My tester was a small plug in light so there was no confusion if there was power or not.

I found that on the US 2010 model R8 V10 NO 12V PLUG is HOT after the power is OFF!!

BUMMER AoA!!!! Why not let us use at least the socket in the trunk (boot) to trickle charge the battery (like your cousin Porsche does) ????

Steve

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Well I tried them all again....first with the power on and then with it off. My tester was a small plug in light so there was no confusion if there was power or not.

I found that on the US 2010 model R8 V10 NO 12V PLUG is HOT after the power is OFF!!

BUMMER AoA!!!! Why not let us use at least the socket in the trunk (boot) to trickle charge the battery (like your cousin Porsche does) ????

Steve
I use a trickle charger ...it is actually very easy to access the battery through the removable cover which is in the trunk (front storage compartment ;))

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I use a trickle charger ...it is actually very easy to access the battery through the removable cover which is in the trunk (front storage compartment )
ah, yes i remember know - this was how the dealer did it too not via the socket. apologies for the flaky memory.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
FWIW: the R8 Repair Manual refers to "Midtronics Battery MaintainerCX2115" as what should be used to maintain charge "in the showroom" and other situations; the illustration i labelled "VAS Battery Maintainer for illustration only" and shows a small smart charger with battery terminal clamps on its cables; they do not illustrate connection but the text says: "connect to battery terminals OR battery jump-start terminals" (? location) and "follow CX2115 instruction manual"

no "2115" here, but this is likely what one needs:
http://www.midtronics.com/home/products/transportation/chargers/chargers.aspx

another passage of interest is where they mention "Transport Mode," in which the electrical system is programmed to shut off most all electrical activity not directly required to start and run the car, "to protect the battery charge state during prolonged inactivity"...such as transport I assume;

They only give instructions on how to DE-activate "Transport Mode", but it's done via connecting the on-board bus to an outside computer via the (USB?) diagnostic/service port and going thru several nested menus to get to "Transport Mode ON/OFF". So, IF you could access that, you could put your car in "Transport Mode" for prolonged inactivity and you probably wouldn't need a charge maintainer.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
My sales guy and several other Audi sales departments I spoke with recommended the less expensicve C-TEK charger instead of the Midtronics. I can buy it on-line or through the Porsche shop owned by the Audi dealer. They are selling me the "higher level" C-TEK charger at a good price with the battery clips to 12v socket adapter also. The unit is labled PORSCHE!

Funny that Audi just doesn't sell it themselves. But I'm finding there are a lot of funny things related to Audi!!!!

Steve :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My sales guy and several other Audi sales departments I spoke with recommended the less expensicve C-TEK charger instead of the Midtronics. I can buy it on-line or through the Porsche shop owned by the Audi dealer. They are selling me the "higher level" C-TEK charger at a good price with the battery clips to 12v socket adapter also. The unit is labled PORSCHE!

Funny that Audi just doesn't sell it themselves. But I'm finding there are a lot of funny things related to Audi!!!!

That is so TRUE......

·
Premium Member
888 Posts

Here it the trickle charger that I use. Works perfectly and only cost $30:

http://www.autogeek.net/btjunior.html

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Yes SS, the Deltran units are good. The re-labeled BMW one is a Deltran and it works great on my M6. I just figured I would keep it in the family and pay a lot more for the Porsche name! :)

I'm not sure why the Porsche/Audi guys like the C-TEAK so much but, I guess variety is the spice of life! :)

So, anyone know of some "variety" to spice up my life??????

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the Valentine direct wired into headliner.
Easy job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts