Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
manual says 1500 mile break in period. Not to exceed 6000 RPM for the first 600 miles. No full acceleration for the first 1200 miles. Then from 1200-1500 miles gradually increase rpm's to 8250. How much to a tee do people follow this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ran mine up to redline in 2nd and 3rd gears today. I can't imagine it hasn't been run this hard already. I have just under 500 miles. I couldn't help myself. The car is just too much fun to drive and I love watching the rev counter go to green around 6500 RPMS and then to yellow just before redline.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I took it relatively easy for the first 500-750 increasing the revs throughout that time and when I picked up the car the Head Tech at my garage said this would be more than enough. The general view being that they've been rev'd extensively at the factory anyway so it's more about the types, brakes and general drive train bedding in. Audi clearly won't comment officially but all their guys in the UK with extensive knowledge of the R8 seem to think 500 or so is just fine and gradually increase the revs during this period and try not to drive at a consistent rpm for too long.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Watch the video about the R8 factory. They run every engine near redline for a long time before its ever installed. Then, they drive them hard on the track. Engine break in is an old time holdover. It's in the manual for legacy or liability reasons. Just enjoy the car and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, I specifically asked the R8 technician at my Audi Dealership when I picked up my V10 Plus last week and he basically said exactly the same as Marcuslf - there is no need to break in the engine as it's already been done at the factory and to ignore what it says in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Break in period? What break in period?? :eek:

Kidding aside, my car just tipped the 1001 km mark and the ship has sailed on driving it gently.

While I haven't driven it like I stole it, how is it possible not to exceed 8000 rpm for 1500 km?

Is there any empirical evidence showing a modern car must still be run in? Seems there's no longer a need if this Wiki article is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_(mechanical_run-in)

But this video is saying we should with some interesting points. Now I'm confused.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I follow the break-in procedures; have for as long as I can remember and have always had great success.

For example; I just rolled through the 1200 mile mark on my V-10 Plus that I took delivery of with 40 miles on the odometer.

Opinions vary and I think often times one’s opinion is based on whether they follow the OEM’s recommendation or not; for example mine.

My opportunity to test the launch control is getting close with many I know saying that they would have dropped the proverbial hammer long ago.

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I ended up going the middle route and just drove the car with the flow of traffic with the occasional spirited drives but no launch control or drag race.

I've read that engines that are babied tend to burn more oil but not sure how true it is. Anyone here that have gone thru lots of new cars and observed this?

Or do you guys just drive it like you stole it from new?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wouldn't recommend hitting red-line on every gear after picking it up from the dealership right away :p

Enjoy it, the Audi tech said not to worry about the break-in when I picked mine up. Although he did say not to go too crazy until you hit 1000 KM's

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ran it in carefully to about 500 miles, except for one rev limiter wobble due to not realising there was no auto shift in performance mode when I was fiddling. 500-1200 tried not to redline. Now driving it normally. The guy at Engineering Explained (in the youtube video above) knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Worst thing to do is drive at one low rpms within the first 2-300 miles. Try to drive variying the rpms without going above 6k for first 500 miles then just go all out. If you see how dealers drive new cars (not R8s in specific) before delivering you would think why don't they all blow up.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Warm the car up fully
Get on the fun pedal and enjoy.

I broke my present car in by tracking it the first two weekends I owned it. I've been rewarded with a car that desires an extra liter of oil about every 6-7K miles.

Reactions: WaterFish

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Two track weekends from new...now that's a fun break in procedure! :cool:

Warm the car up fully
Get on the fun pedal and enjoy.

I broke my present car in by tracking it the first two weekends I owned it. I've been rewarded with a car that desires an extra liter of oil about every 6-7K miles.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My break in period was done by burglar who broke into my car when I was sleeping... Joke aside there is a reason why brake in periods exists, whether you follow or not the factory recommendations just follow common sense, warm the engine before you floor the pedal and for the first few hundred miles just take it easy... no brainer, no rocket science. Enjoy responsibly and congrats!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought the breakin was from pickup, to your driveway, then the distance to the track the next morning. You arrive and boom...breakin is done, or surely done by the end of the day. Worked for the S4. This time there isnt a trackday pre booked, so more time for a breakin period.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I thought the breakin was from pickup, to your driveway, then the distance to the track the next morning. You arrive and boom...breakin is done, or surely done by the end of the day. Worked for the S4. This time there isnt a trackday pre booked, so more time for a breakin period.
Exactly correct!

·
Registered
11 Posts
manual says 1500 mile break in period. Not to exceed 6000 RPM for the first 600 miles. No full acceleration for the first 1200 miles. Then from 1200-1500 miles gradually increase rpm's to 8250. How much to a tee do people follow this?
The key is to not BEAT the motor for the first 500 miles.. Meaning it's a performance engine so treat it as such! I have a 2022 Performance Plus and today with 430 miles I took it on a highway stretch for about 3- miles and ran it at 120mph just to blow out the motor. It's a race car, and as long as you're not using Launch Control at ever start, and taking it to 8000rpm daily it's ok to drive it hard. There is a difference being hard and beating!! The engine is engineered and built knowing it will be run hard....

·
Registered
2017 Audi R8 V10+//2017 Lexus GSF
31 Posts
I always keep the rpm for any new cars under 4000 rpm for the first 1000kmh. Then i run it hard.

I know they do break-ins in the factory, but it's just insurance with a slightly less fun in the beginning. Beside driving at 4000 rpm with an R8 can get you in trouble already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts