Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I recently bought a 2020 Audi R8 V10. This is my first car and I have never used paddle shifters. When I am in dynamic mode, the sound of acceleration is great. But downshifting isn't as impressive as I thought it would be(still sounds pretty good though). After some research, I discovered that the 2020 models are quieter than the previous models due to some emission law they passed in Europe. But my question is as follows: when do I upshift and downshift(at what speeds and what exceptions) and at what RPM do I downshift in order to get the loudest pops and crackles? I have looked up how to upshift and downshift but for some reason almost all the articles were about shifting at 2k RPM on regular cars.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, technically, you can shift all the way to redline and downshift whenever you are ready to slow the car down while braking (engine breaking is not recommended, but throttle gets blipped to match engine speed with road speed). During break-in period, I believe you should not shift above 4-5K rpm for the first 1200 miles. Your shift points is all about where you want to be in the power band; if you want to hit top gear sooner rather than later; or cruise on the highway; or, maybe canyon carving where you’ll be shifting up and down frequently. There’s really no “ideal” shift point, as it’s based on your driving habits, driving conditions, driving situation, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts