Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for in advance as this probably has been asked about before! I currently put a deposit down on a 2008 v8 6pd with 8k miles for 85k. Honestly this seems like the most well rounded option for me with low miles, v8 reliability, and obviously the gated manual. As im getting closer to 90k im also now considering the v10 auto as there are some in the same price range with under 25k miles and a few years newer. The v10 and newer years seem to be wider, is this true? Anyone here with the v8 manual regretted not getting the v10? Does the manual gated experience get jaded over time? Any regret or issues with the earlier years? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
392 Posts
Sorry for in advance as this probably has been asked about before! I currently put a deposit down on a 2008 v8 6pd with 8k miles for 85k. Honestly this seems like the most well rounded option for me with low miles, v8 reliability, and obviously the gated manual. As im getting closer to 90k im also now considering the v10 auto as there are some in the same price range with under 25k miles and a few years newer. The v10 and newer years seem to be wider, is this true? Anyone here with the v8 manual regretted not getting the v10? Does the manual gated experience get jaded over time? Any regret or issues with the earlier years? Any input would be appreciated!
I’ve driven both Manual V8 and own Manual V10. You’ll want extra power and that exotic sound. It’s worth the compromise of not having the manual in the V10. Only you can decide. Drive the auto and see what you think. The V10 is more reliable and easy to work on. Hard choice as I’m a manual guy (look at my footer of cars). I’d go with any gearbox V10 over V8. You’ll make the right choice for you I’m sure. Get a proper exhaust on the V10 and you’ll not even miss the 6MT. IMO V8 is very underpowered for a ‘supercar’. V10 is super car 😉

·
Registered
828 Posts
How much do you need raw power versus driver engagement? If you have the power, do really drive on roads that you can use it, and do you have the skill to use it? Are you driving straight lines or twisty roads? You can always use more power in a straight line, but being able to put it down in the twisties is a different story. I didn't want to spend more than I did when I did, and went for a V8 manual instead of a V10 R-tronic. I don't regret that. If I had more money I wanted to toss in, then I'd have to drive the V10 manual and decide whether I really wanted to pay the extra for it. I never get out of my V8 manual with anything but a sh1t eating grin. Bottom line is I'd buy the manual again over an auto. Also, an exhaust is a must for the aural experience. The engine makes some lovely sounds with the right set of pipes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wanna change the looks of the V8 without the big jump in money to a 10?

Swap V10 tail lights in when you upgrade the exhaust.

......because you are gonna find a stock V8 way too quiet.

10 tails and capristo valved exhaust

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really like my V10 with R-tronic. I think the absolute ease of use is what sells it for me. In my opinion it is a fantastic GT car. There aren't too many cars that check as many boxes. Easy to drive, easy to shift, easy to pass just about anything on the road effortlessly. V8 manual would probably be great as a sporty, fully involved car, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I'll have to drive one some time just to see how it compares.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wanna change the looks of the V8 without the big jump in money to a 10?

Swap V10 tail lights in when you upgrade the exhaust.

......because you are gonna find a stock V8 way too quiet.

10 tails and capristo valved exhaust

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Another bonus of the v8 is that it already has a tubi exhaust! Also the service history for it is that’s it’s really extensive for only 8k miles. Check it out. It has 25k service done repeatedly with the first owner, kind of weird, but I guess a good thing.

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
For some, the question on engine (V8 or V10) and transmission (6MT, R, or S) choice approaches the realm of "religious." Combine them both and you're now really asking an impossible question. But, I'd start by saying that, despite the emphatic responses you may get (or read in other threads), there are no bad choices here... just personal choices.

Rather than approach this as "right" and "wrong" choices, I'd suggest looking at it as a pro and con list, with the ultimate decision simply being a PERSONAL compromise - a decision you, and you alone, will need to live with. And with that said, the right place to start would be just doing some reading. More than a lot has been written about engine and transmission - too many threads, honestly, over the years. So you'll find a ton of input on both of these subjects with many-an-argument about the good, bad, and ugly about the choices you may face. Read as much of it as possible to start forming your opinions for your pro/con lists... but DO realize you're reading just a lot of second-hand opinions.

The next thing to do is go drive them. The more the better. Not all cars are equal, even if they're seemingly equipped the same. Your experience will inform you considerably more than anything you read. Do you need the extra power of the V10? Maybe not... maybe you prefer the burble of the V8. Or maybe the V10 howl intoxicates you, and you can't see living without it. Do you like the rawness of the R-Tronic shifts? Or do you find them annoying? Do you get your pleasure from the click-clack shifts of the gated manual? Or do you enjoy the modern paddle-shifting?

Not to complicate things further, but aesthetics will be different among different R8s. Options weren't extensive, but those options that DID exist could really change the feel of the car. As you see them in person and get a feel for things like carbon trim, full leather, B&O, carbon engine bay trim, blades, etc., you'll start to form opinions on what matters there, too. Going for a V10 is going to give you more of these features standard and more commonly optioned - while less was standard on the V8, and many of the more expensive options were more rarely spec'd on the V8. Beyond the options - do you like the cleaner, more original looks of the V8 (flush sideblade, non-flared rocker panels, etc.), or do you like the more aggressive looks of the V10?

Again, I'll stress that there aren't right and wrong answers here. Personally, I can find reasons to own each variant. It won't matter what some faceless people on a forum think is best - it'll only matter what YOU enjoy when you open the garage and go for a drive!

To answer a few of your questions - I believe the width of the car (~76") remained consistent from V8 to V10, but certainly tire width changed (wider on the V10). You also do need to be careful with 2010 and earlier cars - these years are vulnerable to frame cracking near the front bulkhead. It's not common, and it shouldn't scare you off from these cars, BUT it's important to have this checked during a PPI, which means removing the front trunk tub. Failure to find this can cause you a very big headache afterwards. Aside from that, there are some small differences among very early cars (such as red center info display on the '08 cars), some differences in audio connection options, and resolution of the navigation unit (lower on earlier cars). In the facelift years (2014/15), there were then a host of other changes that happened (e.g., new lights, leather coverage / options, new grille, exhaust style, etc.).

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For some, the question on engine (V8 or V10) and transmission (6MT, R, or S) choice approaches the realm of "religious." Combine them both and you're now really asking an impossible question. But, I'd start by saying that, despite the emphatic responses you may get (or read in other threads), there are no bad choices here... just personal choices.

Rather than approach this as "right" and "wrong" choices, I'd suggest looking at it as a pro and con list, with the ultimate decision simply being a PERSONAL compromise - a decision you, and you alone, will need to live with. And with that said, the right place to start would be just doing some reading. More than a lot has been written about engine and transmission - too many threads, honestly, over the years. So you'll find a ton of input on both of these subjects with many-an-argument about the good, bad, and ugly about the choices you may face. Read as much of it as possible to start forming your opinions for your pro/con lists... but DO realize you're reading just a lot of second-hand opinions.

The next thing to do is go drive them. The more the better. Not all cars are equal, even if they're seemingly equipped the same. Your experience will inform you considerably more than anything you read. Do you need the extra power of the V10? Maybe not... maybe you prefer the burble of the V8. Or maybe the V10 howl intoxicates you, and you can't see living without it. Do you like the rawness of the R-Tronic shifts? Or do you find them annoying? Do you get your pleasure from the click-clack shifts of the gated manual? Or do you enjoy the modern paddle-shifting?

Not to complicate things further, but aesthetics will be different among different R8s. Options weren't extensive, but those options that DID exist could really change the feel of the car. As you see them in person and get a feel for things like carbon trim, full leather, B&O, carbon engine bay trim, blades, etc., you'll start to form opinions on what matters there, too. Going for a V10 is going to give you more of these features standard and more commonly optioned - while less was standard on the V8, and many of the more expensive options were more rarely spec'd on the V8. Beyond the options - do you like the cleaner, more original looks of the V8 (flush sideblade, non-flared rocker panels, etc.), or do you like the more aggressive looks of the V10?

Again, I'll stress that there aren't right and wrong answers here. Personally, I can find reasons to own each variant. It won't matter what some faceless people on a forum think is best - it'll only matter what YOU enjoy when you open the garage and go for a drive!

To answer a few of your questions - I believe the width of the car (~76") remained consistent from V8 to V10, but certainly tire width changed (wider on the V10). You also do need to be careful with 2010 and earlier cars - these years are vulnerable to frame cracking near the front bulkhead. It's not common, and it shouldn't scare you off from these cars, BUT it's important to have this checked during a PPI, which means removing the front trunk tub. Failure to find this can cause you a very big headache afterwards. Aside from that, there are some small differences among very early cars (such as red center info display on the '08 cars), some differences in audio connection options, and resolution of the navigation unit (lower on earlier cars). In the facelift years (2014/15), there were then a host of other changes that happened (e.g., new lights, leather coverage / options, new grille, exhaust style, etc.).

Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks man 100 percent agree that’ll have to drive both to really see what I would want to daily. It really comes down to my recent love for manuals and overall driving experience vs childhood dream of a v10 roaring behind me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts