Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
You think that will significantly affect resale since they are minor? Still seems to be somewhat undervalued.
Looks like two minor accidents were reported within the same year - front / right and front. Impossible to tell from the Carfax what it was, but it could definitely impact the value - just the presence of accidents on the report. Being that it's a 2010, I'd also be concerned about potential frame damage - this needs to be checked regardless (due to the year), but it's especially important if there's accident history. As mentioned above, it shouldn't scare you off from these model years, but the risk goes up substantially if the car has been in an accident - presumably, even hitting harsh potholes (that would bend a rim, for instance) are cause for inspection.

If you're not familiar with the issue, do some searching on the forum. But, in short - cars prior to 2011 were vulnerable to cracks on the bulkhead, which, depending on the insurance provider, could lead to a total loss or simply a very expensive repair. In various cases, it took Audi's intervention to settle the claim - so it's quite an ordeal if you find yourself in this situation. Later cars were shipped with reinforcement plates that prevented this scenario. In some cases, early car owners have successfully retrofitted the reinforcement plates.

In short, I'd personally stay away from cars with accident history. But if the discount is healthy, and you're going to pursue it, it just calls for extra diligence above-and-beyond a normal PPI. In this case, removal of the front tub to inspect the frame, minimally - but, I'd also check all of the surrounding structure and components very carefully, such as radiators up front, lines, quality of paint, etc. A few issues can eat up any perceived discount really quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks like two minor accidents were reported within the same year - front / right and front. Impossible to tell from the Carfax what it was, but it could definitely impact the value - just the presence of accidents on the report. Being that it's a 2010, I'd also be concerned about potential frame damage - this needs to be checked regardless (due to the year), but it's especially important if there's accident history. As mentioned above, it shouldn't scare you off from these model years, but the risk goes up substantially if the car has been in an accident - presumably, even hitting harsh potholes (that would bend a rim, for instance) are cause for inspection.

If you're not familiar with the issue, do some searching on the forum. But, in short - cars prior to 2011 were vulnerable to cracks on the bulkhead, which, depending on the insurance provider, could lead to a total loss or simply a very expensive repair. In various cases, it took Audi's intervention to settle the claim - so it's quite an ordeal if you find yourself in this situation. Later cars were shipped with reinforcement plates that prevented this scenario. In some cases, early car owners have successfully retrofitted the reinforcement plates.

In short, I'd personally stay away from cars with accident history. But if the discount is healthy, and you're going to pursue it, it just calls for extra diligence above-and-beyond a normal PPI. In this case, removal of the front tub to inspect the frame, minimally - but, I'd also check all of the surrounding structure and components very carefully, such as radiators up front, lines, quality of paint, etc. A few issues can eat up any perceived discount really quickly.
Yeah I’ve decided to move on from that vehicle, thanks for the input. Just not worth it on a r8. Just saw another one in Ohio with a clean carfax but it seems like it had a title clerical issue that got corrected in the past, really don’t think it’s a issue at all. What do you think?
Font Screenshot Number Web page Software

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
I'm not super familiar with "Not Actual Mileage Titles," but if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like such a title was issued in error and then later retracted... so hopefully a non-issue here. I'd ask to see the service records and just make sure everything makes sense, re: progression of mileage. Good call, I think, on passing on the accident car.

Reactions: Mile_High_R8

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally go with the V8 gate, once you pipe it probably love it manual fun! However you’ll love the sound of the V10 just absolute music, so many pros cons to weigh out I agree with @esmaass great write up sir solid advice!
With that car fax Idd say heck no and for the price nope. Shoot the dealers giving me 70k for my ibis white v10 next week an has 0 accidents. So they’re out there, good luck with the hunt an hopefully you get into one soon.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts