Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, out of curiosity, if anybody knows what will differ on the 2010/2011 V8 model. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
we have the 2010 order guide (still to date w/o pricing) and the changes in the v8 are minor: piano black inlays offered along with c.f.; c.f. or lighted door sills, c.f. front spoiler lip; c.f. rear diffusers; i-Pod dock offered instead of 6 CD changer (only beg. w. August production); c.f. exterior mirrors; LED headlights;titanium finish wheels (a std. option now, NOT an "Exclusive" one)

All cosmetic (except arguably the headlights and i-Pod dock) and mostly carbon fiber eye candy/bling.

Lava gray is added to the color palette and red (!?) seats offered along with the Tuscan brown (but w. everything else black in each case);

I think that's about it: nothing substantive in the way of functional upgrades is mentioned...though from "updates" ongoing we know there are some accumulating. The rumored "tweak" of the 4.2 v8 is nowhere to be seen. Watch for it in '11? Nothing else known about '11 (except reportedly a spyder).

The order guide has been put up on this forum several times...try a search if you want to see it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

Didn't know the 2010 order guide was up, will look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Thanks for that. Hopefully the iPod dock will be an easy swap for earlier R8s as it usually is for the VW line. Kinda sick of using AUX, and OEMPL.us sold me a dud kit and vanished on me.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Interesting note on fuel performance...How much better was stated??

·
Registered
718 Posts
Interesting note on fuel performance...How much better was stated??
All figures are UK gallons and all for manual:-

2009 4.2 CO2 = 349 g/Km mileage (combined cycle) = 19.3 mpg
2009 5.2 CO2 = 351 g/km mileage (combined cycle) = 19.2 mpg

2010 4.2 CO2 = 332 g/km mileage (combined cycle) = 20.3 mpg
2010 5.2 CO2 = 351 g/km mileage (combined cycle) = 19.2 mpg

All figures from official Audi data. As can be seen the new V10 is almost as fuel efficient and produces almost the same C02 as the 2009 V8 !!!

But from model year 2010 (i.e. any cars that started factory production from late May 2009), for V8, CO2 is down and fuel efficiency increased by 5%.

(Note: I have not listed figures for Rtronic, but it produces less CO2 and is more fuel efficient in both models)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have a 6-CD changer you can swap it out for an iPod dock. It has parts to accommodate most forms of iPod. The down side is you treat the iPod like a CD-changer so you create libraries called 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 which you can go to by going CD1, CD2, etc. CD6 will get your iPod's full music library. You do NOT get track or album names displayed and can only skip forward and backward.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Oh that's crappy then. That's not full iPod integration. I'm better off sticking to the AUX and controlling from the iPod.

That's like the old PhatBox units VW used to use. Now they have the RNS-510 which is not only worlds ahead of the RNS unit in the R8, but also FULLY supports the iPod.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
R8 England's comments about Audi publishing better fuel consumption figures for the UK model is very interesting. To the best of my knowledge, after a lot of searching, I don't believe Audi has published ANYTHING about the 2010 v8 except the order guide without pricing, which the dealers have and regularly share; the online data and pricing is ALL 2009 information at this point. Possible that the tuning specs are different in the US and UK models....in fact, likely that they are, I should think.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Geffers,

fuel efficiency gain is down to improving the FSI system (see also the UK TV and magazine ads being run at present !)

Willjp,

AoA may not have published anything yet, but I can tell you that model/year 2010 production started in late May, so its all current and not just for the UK. As to published US data, probably need to look very carefully at the published info.

Check out the UK price/spec guide, "valid from June 2009":-

http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/uk/Products/R8/pdf.Par.0006.File.pdf

This is where the new MPG figures came from. Look at the bottom of the last page 46, and note "2010 model year".

I'm sure, whether the dealers are aware of it or not, you guys will be getting the latest models, with the usual US requirements (rear light cluster etc etc).

·
Registered
159 Posts
On reading the spec for the iPod interface, it is much more than the 1-6 playlist etc. (I know that one as it is in my wife's A3 and is absolutely useless):

UF7
Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices including Apple
iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive
control through the audio system and multi-function steering wheel. It also replicates the iPod display on the audio
screen and DIS, including track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). Includes cables.
Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation system Plus (cannot be combined with CD changer)

·
Registered
94 Posts
On reading the spec for the iPod interface, it is much more than the 1-6 playlist etc. (I know that one as it is in my wife's A3 and is absolutely useless):

UF7
Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices including Apple
iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive
control through the audio system and multi-function steering wheel. It also replicates the iPod display on the audio
screen and DIS, including track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). Includes cables.
Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation system Plus (cannot be combined with CD changer)
I wonder how much this will cost though!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Good news.. and if it costs $1000 it'll still be worth every penny to me. SD cards are great, but I carry and sync my iPhone everywhere, so it's good to always be up to date.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
R8 England, I don't doubt you one bit. What I thought was interesting is that from what Audi has put out in NA, you couldn't have a clue. Given how "p.c." better fuel consumption is in the US right now, one would think they'd be touting it. That's why I idly speculated that the US model may not be updating to that spec for 2010. But I agree that's unlikely.

Another possiblility is that the US EPA hasn't certified those figures...I believe that's required before a mfr. can promote them in the US. I know VW and the EPA had quite a disagreement about the new (to the US) 2.0 TDI diesel Jetta's fuel consumption figures that resulted in a lengthy delay in introducing the car.

And Frog, where did you find that detailed description of the i-Pod interface?
The 2010 R8 order guide, which is the only place I've seen it mentioned, doesn't give nearly that much information. I basically says "Audi Music Interface replaces 6-CD changer," or words to that effect, with no details. Maybe I'm unaware of some source of detailed info on the 2010?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry but who cares about fuel consumption? Anything above 10mpg is good.

Who buys a sport car or for that matter any expensive car thinking about mpg?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Pretty obvious none of us is interested in the R8 because of its fuel consumption!

The topic at hand was (raised by you as I recall) was: what changes for 2010?
R8 England brought up that the 2010 was going to have better fuel consumption figures and I was remarking on the fact that, a little surprising to me, Audi was not publicizing that in the US.

The only party that likely really "cares" about those fuel consumption figures is Audi, who has to worry about its "CAFE" number...every little bit helps!

Per R8 England, the better fuel consumption numbers are due to fuel injection improvements, which would suggest that engine performance might be a bit better as well, though apparently not enough to claim a higher HP figure. If I recall correctly, those improvements in the FSI system were part of what the ACNA article of about 6 months ago said would go toward a "tweak" of the 4.2 v8's HP number in the future. So maybe the 2010 will get a tiny bit of a performance boost? Fuel consumption, after all, IS engine performance and is very intertwined with power output.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Agreed. I don't make sense sometimes. Don't mind me. :rolleyes:

Your comment was actually very informative.

I wonder what I'd do without FSI or for that matter TFSI on my SUV. It's a vampire in the city: 12 MPG; sometimes less. :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts