Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 miles away from home I pull away from a stop light and the car won't come out of 1st gear. Gear lever slides with no resistance into 2nd, 3rd gear when the clutch is engaged but the transmission is pulling in 1st only. I can't get the lever to slide into 4th, 5th or 6th. So I accelerate and coast, repeat, repeat. Make it home and put her nose first in the garage.

This morning I pull out the airbox and complete a gear shift linkage adjustment. Does nothing.

Put the gear lever in neutral...it drives forward. Put the lever in reverse...it drives forward.

I'm at a loss. Problem is I can't even push it out the garage to get on a flatbed.

Clutch has been rock solid. Not once has it slipped. No grinding on any gears either so I doubt it's a transmission problem.

I've researched and have seen issues with this on the R-Tronics but not the MTs.

Car has 75k miles and has been bullet proof during my ownership. No track time and although I drive her hard there's been no clutch burning launches or otherwise mistreatment of the car.

Throw out bearing ? Slave Cylinder ??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid? Did you have any smells? If it leaked out a quart is way cheaper then going to the stealership. If you haven't pushed the car hard might be the throw out bearing leaking (pretty small seal) or the slave cylinder. I would go the route of checking the transmission fluid and filling it if it's low. The R tronics never had it on the service schedule to change the fluid. Its not that expensive to have the fluids changed so I'd look into it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
are we sure the shifter is physically attached still to the transmission linkage?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It sounds like you can push the clutch in and disengage the trans from the engine. If this is the case, then the issue would not be with the clutch master, slave, clutch or throw out bearing. From the symptoms, it sounds like either the shift cable or cables broke, the actual linkage brackets that the cables mount to on the trans have stripped the splines(not likely), broke a fork inside the trans(could be a possibility), but this would cause grinding when you tried to shift into other gears since it would want to be in 2 gears at the same time. The cables could have come off at the shifter as well. Would take a second person or a video camera, but you could move the shifter through the gears with the car off and the clutch in and see if the linkage is moving every time you shift gears. If something isn't moving, you can follow that path and find the issue. If everything is moving, you can disconnect the cables at the trans and see if you can physically move the linkage into a different gear or gears. Hopefully its just a cable end that came off at the shifter (since you mentioned doing the linkage adjustment) and not a fork or anything. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grateful for everyone's replies thus far. It has been helpful.

I took the cables off and was able to move the left linkage into neutral and can now push the car freely.

While driving home, despite not being able to shift out of first, I could engage the clutch to drop revs and coast...then start over again. The clutch has plenty of tension, does not go soft and maintains its normal engagement point.

I've been texting with an Audi Tech at the Richmond Dealer this weekend who has been awesome to work with ( thanks Brock !! ) and will have the car delivered to him this week.

I've checked brake and transmission fluids this morning. Levels are normal and no apparent leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad you were able to put it in neutral and at least get it rolling.

The repair kits are just kits for parts that normally wear, like the plastic/nylon/delrin parts that wear from everyday use, along with the related hardware. Wouldn't be a bad time to change them out since it's going to be/already apart. Easy maint.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JosB.

Would also mention one night last week the RPM Gauge did not work on way to dinner. Has never happened before and the car ran perfectly. Upon restart, the tachometer worked normally and hasn't happened since.

Not sure if this was onset to the current issue or was just an anomaly.

Last night I reattached the gear cables and my Son took a video of the gear linkage set above the transmission while I sat in the car and rowed through the gears. First gear showed the only movement.

I've got to believe this a gear cable / hardware issue now and not a trans/clutch problem. Will post up when we know more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like something broke in the shifter, or something wore out and fell off, but that is kinda far fetched considering the low miles on the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Grateful for everyone's replies thus far. It has been helpful.

I took the cables off and was able to move the left linkage into neutral and can now push the car freely.

While driving home, despite not being able to shift out of first, I could engage the clutch to drop revs and coast...then start over again. The clutch has plenty of tension, does not go soft and maintains its normal engagement point.

I've been texting with an Audi Tech at the Richmond Dealer this weekend who has been awesome to work with ( thanks Brock !! ) and will have the car delivered to him this week.

I've checked brake and transmission fluids this morning. Levels are normal and no apparent leaks.
Brock is the man. I have been looking to connect with you. I am in richmond as well. Going to shoot you a PM.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been determined the Gear Shift ( Bowden ) Cables #420-711-874-B need to be replaced.

Apparently, no one has the part Stateside so 7-10 day delivery from Germany. $1700 repair.

While this seems high, having a Master R8 Tech available to talk to and text with during the weekends and at night has significant value to me. I'll gladly pay the bill without bicker and be grateful it wasn't a $6k clutch or worse a new gearbox.

My thanks to the forum for diagnosis help. Truly a great group we have here.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
A good result and not toooooo expensive for you, and you'll soon be back on the road.

As an aside ECS Tuning sell this cable for $388.94 and ship in 1 day.

BOWDENCABL
Be the first to leave a review
|
Q&A

Mfg Part #
420711874B

420 711 874 B
ECS Part #
ES#353208
Brand
Genuine Volkswagen Audi

$434.00 (10% off MSRP)
or as low as $34.23/mo with
Ships in 1 day
Qty

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Dave...yeah, we saw this and called....." it ships in one day "...from Germany. They don't have it in stock. Dealer also indicated if we source the part elsewhere we lose the 12 month warranty on it.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hey Dave...yeah, we saw this and called....." it ships in one day "...from Germany. They don't have it in stock. Dealer also indicated if we source the part elsewhere we lose the 12 month warranty on it.
Then it's a no-brainer, go with OEM, good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
Not too bad - could have been significantly worse, but this diagnosis makes sense based upon what you shared.

You'll be back up and running soon!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hat Trick, your posts on this matter are appreciated and very welcomed. While its always disappointing to read of a fellow forum member having issues with their car its critically important that its shared with other members so we can learn. Your R8 is one of the high mileage award winners on this forum so you are in many ways blazing the way for so many of us. I just wanted you to know I learned something from you over the course of this thread and again, appreciate the fact you indicated the symptoms, problem and then cure. Thanks.

Hopefully you'll be back out on the road and adding many more trouble free miles to your car.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hat Trick, your posts on this matter are appreciated and very welcomed. While its always disappointing to read of a fellow forum member having issues with their car its critically important that its shared with other members so we can learn. Your R8 is one of the high mileage award winners on this forum so you are in many ways blazing the way for so many of us. I just wanted you to know I learned something from you over the course of this thread and again, appreciate the fact you indicated the symptoms, problem and then cure. Thanks.

Hopefully you'll be back out on the road and adding many more trouble free miles to your car.
Great comment James, liked it very much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts