Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Both good cars. Like my buddy said when he was helping me shop for cars the [850] gives you a huge smile! The R8 gives you a huge boner!!!!

Don't settle ;)

hahahahahah

-td

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
While not an 850, I've owned a 650xi GC for the last 2.5 years - the 8 is essentially the continuation of the 6. There's a LOT of great things to say about it. It's very premium, fast, well screwed together, great technology, a beautiful looking car. For my 650's $113k MSRP, I honestly can't think of a better sporty GT in the class - or, in my case, a "4 door coupe."

However, I don't think the 8 is as elegant or beautiful as the 6 - a sentiment that seems to be widely shared in the BMW community from what I've seen. But, aside from the aesthetics, and despite how BMW may try to market the 8, these cars are not remotely in the same class as something like the R8. They're large, heavy, grand touring cars that happen to be very luxurious and fast. But they're not sports cars. While I understand the 8's "sporting skills" have improved over the 6, I can't believe it's THAT far off (given the weight, size, specs), and I can tell you it's not a comfortable or enjoyable thing to really push the car. Will it outperform a typical sports coupe or sedan in the twisties? Yeah, probably most. It's athletic. But it's a far cry from something that's nimble and willing to go corner carving like the R8.

I don't care how fast cars like the 6 or 8 can get - it's not going to make them feel like sports cars. They're too plush, heavy, muted... many things that make them GREAT long distance GTs but terrible sports cars. The 8 is amping up the sporting characteristics, but at the end of the day it still follows the same general formula as the 6... which is a large coupe and gran-coupe that's primarily intent on long distance and high speed point A to B conveyance in as much style and comfort as possible.

I typically shift around my 6 series when I take the R8 out for a drive, so I generally hop in the 6 after coming back from a drive in the R8. It's a stark contrast each and every time. I immediately miss the supercar I just stepped out of... the analog, raw, nimble, "let's go" that the R8 provides... but I also immediately appreciate the super high quality fit and finish, comfort, technology, and plushness of the 6. Two very different cars for two very different purposes.

I just wish BMW followed through on their 8 concept. Instead they disappointed here, and I can't see replacing the 6 with the 8 now (as originally planned). My 6... (don't mind the fact that it's quite dirty... doesn't get the same love as the R8 in that way).

IMG_20190615_194515.jpg

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well said Eric
The last great BMW sports car was of course the Z8.
Have owned one and likely will soon purchase another to share space with my R8.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Ah ha Ez, a secret black car fan LoL.
Dave, you'll be pleased to know that EVERY daily driver I've owned (all BMWs from the day I graduated college BTW), have been... black. :) In fact, as much as I love my red R8, it's the only red car I've ever bought. I know... gasp. :)

Well said Eric
The last great BMW sports car was of course the Z8.
Have owned one and likely will soon purchase another to share space with my R8.
Agreed, Larry. The Z8 was such an oddity for modern BMW and truly one of the last exciting things they've done. I'm curious to see what they do with the i8 replacement. It had great potential but ultimately was a massive compromise with a big price tag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts