Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2012 with the auto trans with 20k on it. I got to put 30-40 miles on it the other day. At stop lights it seemed like it was in neutral when I went to take off. I had to get the rpm's up for it to engage, it also is the same way backing up. Is that normal? It actually rolled back on a slight incline. Also when I back up and turn its like the all wheel drive is binding....seems odd and I have no idea if it's normal.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
Yes, this is normal. R-Tronic is a single clutch automated manual, so it's going to behave like a manual. S-Tronic (2014+ in the US) is a DCT and will exhibit behavior more like a conventional torque-converter automatic, meaning you can technically let it creep forward (although you shouldn't!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is normal. R-Tronic is a single clutch automated manual, so it's going to behave like a manual. S-Tronic (2014+ in the US) is a DCT and will exhibit behavior more like a conventional torque-converter automatic, meaning you can technically let it creep forward (although you shouldn't!).
I was thinking it is normal. Much like throttling up when releasing the clutch on a manual. Thanks for easing my mind. Would it be benificail to have it in manual mode at stop lights?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same as you OP, 2012 single clutch auto. I notice mine will do that as well but only when I take my foot off the brake. If you keep your foot engaged the car should stay in gear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the same behavior on my 08 single clutch auto. Keep your foot on the brake and the car will stay in gear.

I have the same as you OP, 2012 single clutch auto. I notice mine will do that as well but only when I take my foot off the brake. If you keep your foot engaged the car should stay in gear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You have to keep moderate pressure on the brake pedal. I think it’s like 25% when at a stop. If you are light on the brake, the trans is slightly engaging the clutch. So to avoid burning the clutch out, after I think its like 10-15 seconds, the car automatically puts the car in N. However, when the car shifts to N, a chime sounds and it displays that the car shifted into N......

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same 2012 V8 r-tronic. I loooooove it. If you drive the car like if it was a normal manual stick, just ignoring the fact you dont have a clutch pedal, you will really come alive qith this car. It does not matter whether you use the paddle shifter or the stick, it is awesome because you truly are controlling the engine just as if you had a six speed manual. I put it into neutral at all stoplights just as I would if I had a standard manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts