Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am convinced i want a 14 or 15 R8 V10. But i had to confirm that i am making the right choice so i test drove a 2014 911 turbo s. With 560 hp and awd it was fast and nimble. The PDK is unmatched. But with that said it just didn't havet the supercar feel as driving the R8. I havnt driven the car i want to buy yet. I test drove a 2011 V10 spyder. I also drove a 14 coupe but it was a V8. Both cars gave me the super car feeling. Just an observation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Porsche is the quicker of the two but nothing beats the looks and style of the V10 R8. We looked at the Porsche Turbo also, but P cars are a dime a dozen here and completely blend in and you cant see your engine from the outside in the Porsche.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree100% ^ .
The Porsche was faster but when the wife and i were in traffic with it i felt like we were just one of the other cars. Nothing special.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Drive a 14 or 15 V10 with S-Tronic. The S-Tronic is as good as any DCT I've used on the market, including PDK. If you put it in sport + auto mode, while not a mode I'd normally drive it, it'll impress you with just how good it is without driver input - right down to the multiple, rapid-fire downshifts as you come hard into a corner on the brakes. In sport + manual, it's a masterpiece - slick, lightning fast shifts.

The NA V10 is just a thing of beauty. NOTHING that's turbocharged is going to hold a candle to it on sound and feel. It's buttery smooth, linear, and revs out to 8,700 RPM. When in that upper register, it's going to sound way more exotic and special, as well. Short of a NA V12 from Ferrari or Lamborghini, there's not another modern engine on the market that I'd consider in this general price range. If you intend to put an after-market exhaust (or it comes with one), you'll get it to sound best. Otherwise, you can seek out a 2015 with the factory sport exhaust option - this was only offered in 2015.

As for the numbers - Porsche sold roughly 10x the number of 911's from 2008 - 2015 than Audi sold R8s here in the US. The R8 is a truly special car - not even an option in my mind whether to go R8 V10 or 911. If you wanted to push things a bit further, you could also pick up a V10+, which will give you slightly more performance - but to be honest, I don't think you'll want for it in normal road driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The V10 plus is about another 20k.
Im fine with the regular V10 with the DCT.
The exhaust is the first thing. We deleted my buddies mufflers from him lambrogini murcy. Wife has to have a car that sounds like that. The 911 will never. The v10 r8 will come close.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You have to decide if you want better performance or a more supercar experience. The 911 is a faster car but it doesn’t have the supercar feel or attraction. IDK why because they are amazing machines!! While the S-tronic is good, sorry but it does not compare to PDK’s. Everytime I jump in my wife’s Porsche, the PDK is just insane.... If you’re going to act track your car then you will get more enjoyment out of the Porsche. If you dont track or only track once in a blue moon, the R8 is amazing and you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
130 Posts
The V10 plus is about another 20k.
Im fine with the regular V10 with the DCT.
The exhaust is the first thing. We deleted my buddies mufflers from him lambrogini murcy. Wife has to have a car that sounds like that. The 911 will never. The v10 r8 will come close.
The plus is great but with a tune and exhuast, you will be at the V10 plus level of HP and it won’t cost you $20k...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As much as i want to think i want a track car i know deep down i wont enjoy it on the street. If i really wanted a track car i would look at the gt3. But the r8 to me has and feels like a supercar even if its a tad slower.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As much as i want to think i want a track car i know deep down i wont enjoy it on the street. If i really wanted a track car i would look at the gt3. But the r8 to me has and feels like a supercar even if its a tad slower.
This is where I ended up. I have a GT3 for the track and R8 (spyder) for the street. It gets way more looks than the GT3.

If you just want fast, get a Tesla. If you want sexy on wheels, get an R8.

-td

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was in a similar situation cross shopping a 997 turbo, 997 GT3 and a R8 v10 coupe all in manual. Drove them all, the turbo was so fast but really didn’t provoke much emotion or engagement other than being paranoid about over revving, while the GT3 was way more fun and engaging to drive but just didn’t feel much quicker than my bmw. The r8 to me was a perfect mix of the speed from the turbo and driver engagement of the GT3. I ended up with a low mileage r8 v10 and could t be more happy. It’s an absolute riot in every sense of the word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
Test drove a preowned 991.2 turbo s convinced i was there to put money down on it and take it home.... it sucked. Even beat the snot out of it and took it on twisties. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner and the throttle response was not sporty at all. Even in sport plus. Warp speed fast but my 911T was way more fun. Then I drove an NSX that day. That sucked too 👎🏻
Next day on a whim I drove the R8 v10 +. In rush hour traffic. In automatic driving mode. I was done. Giddy like a school girl. Felt like my friends 458 leaving the parking lot except 2 extra cylinders. The s tronic felt better than the turbo s pdk also. On the gt3 rs level. Zero regrets

·
Registered
47 Posts
I owned a 997 turbo S and agree with all the comments above. Absolutely amazing piece of technology with incredible build quality and darn fast but I got bored with it pretty quickly and sold it. I bought an R8 V10 manual and absolutely no regrets. Just beautiful in every way and the interior build quality is even better than the Porsche in my opinion. Just perfect. The only negative was it felt a bit down on power versus the Porsche.....but the simple addition of a supercharger fixed that 😉

·
Registered
432 Posts
All 911s start to look the same to the common person on the road. You won’t stand out much. Will never sound like an R8 either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Test drove a preowned 991.2 turbo s convinced i was there to put money down on it and take it home.... it sucked. Even beat the snot out of it and took it on twisties. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner and the throttle response was not sporty at all. Even in sport plus. Warp speed fast but my 911T was way more fun. Then I drove an NSX that day. That sucked too
Next day on a whim I drove the R8 v10 +. In rush hour traffic. In automatic driving mode. I was done. Giddy like a school girl. Felt like my friends 458 leaving the parking lot except 2 extra cylinders. The s tronic felt better than the turbo s pdk also. On the gt3 rs level. Zero regrets
Can you please tell us more about your experience with the 911T and NSX 2nd gen? These are 2 vehicles I’ve been intrigued about, but have never driven. Is the 911T fun to wind out? Is the R8 you drove Gen 1 or 2? Thank you

·
Registered
130 Posts
This thinking again. You won’t get the higher geared transmission and about a dozen other upgrades too.
Besides the geared trans, what’s the other dozen upgrades?

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I was thinking the same. I know they reduce the amount of soundproofing material.
There's less sound-deadening, no mag-ride (stiffer passive suspension), a smaller gas tank, some additional carbon fiber (splitter, mirrors, diffuser, etc), gray fins/inlays vs. high gloss black, etc.

I like the V10+, but it's for a different buyer IMHO than a standard V10. When I was buying, the money wasn't an issue - I was happy to buy either. But I personally liked the look of the standard V10 a bit better, and because I intended to primarily drive on roads (not track), the lesser sound deadening, smaller gas tank, and lack of mag-ride weren't "pluses" for my situation. That said, the 0 - 60 is noticeably improved (several tenths to 60 - about 3.3 for the V10+ and 3.7 for the standard V10), and it's noticeably lighter (I believe upwards of 110lbs)... so I consider the additional cost justified for those who must eek out the most performance. To be fair, it's more than simply 25 additional horsepower.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts