Audi R8 Forums banner

Which would you buy now if both cost $135k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether or not they would buy a 2015 V10 Plus or a new 2021 718 GT4, and if any owners of both cars can share their experiences between the two.

I know this is very subjective question, but my wife and I are debating on which cars to get and the R8 we're looking at is almost the same price as the GT4 fully optioned.

We've had a 2015 V10 Plus in the past that we tracked frequently, but sold it since we weren't going to be using it much. We both miss the responsiveness and sound of the NA V10, and the looks of the gen 1 r8's, and aren't a fan of the gen 2. Both of us never driven a porsche before, but have seen a lot on the track and are impressed at how quick they are. In our opinion the new GT4 looks really good also.

The dilemma we're facing is that we both really enjoyed the Gen 1 R8 and saw one selling for ~130k in pristine condition with the exact options we had on our car just different exterior color. We both like the new GT4 and a fully optioned one is around ~140k.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
218 Posts
Well, Myself, I just went the other way, traded my ‘16 GT4 for a ‘20 Performance.
That said the GT4 is the finest P car I ever owned, pure precision and a thrill to drive, especially if you’re going to track it. Unlike most P cars, shifting is razor precise.
That said, one point worth a mention, unless your wife is a yoga instructor, she will not like the LWB carbon seats, if that’s what you get.They’re a royal pain in/out so as not to destroy the leather side bolster, it’s a 2 step hop/ slide. One of the last 3 pedal cars left as well.
I went with the Performance because I fell in love with that V10 with my Gallardo and now with 600+ horses, tough not to love.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The way I would approach this is if your primary aim is a car that's good on track then the GT4 would be my choice. If, however, you want something that makes for a special weekend and road trip car with the occasional track use, the the R8 wins.

Reactions: SpeedOneMotorsports

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 2014 V10+ and 991.2 GT3 RS. I’ve driven the 1st Gen GT4 and 991.1 GT3 / GT3 RS plenty of times. I would take a V10+ over any of those cars unless you plan on doing a lot of canyon roads with tight turns or track it. The power in the R8 is greater, while the others feel anemic imo. I know those cars aren’t about power, but at those price points it would be nice to have some extra power. If you take any road trips, the R8 is far superior in that aspect. Good luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions!

I'm surprised that the 991.2 GT3 RS felt underpowered compared to the R8. We do plain on mainly tracking our car, but would like to drive it on the street whenever. We're not too worried about comfort since we don't go on many road trips. The big thing holding us back from the R8 is putting down that much for a 2015 car when we could get a 2021 car. But on the other end I don't believe there will be a car like the r8 with a NA V10 that can be daily driven and still be great on the track.. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Appreciate the insights!

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 991.2 RS feels the same speed as the Gen 1 v10+, but they also came from 2 different eras. The Gen 2 would feel substantially quicker than either. I personally would get a Gen 2 if manual isn’t a requirement. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depreciation....I’m guessing that this really doesn’t matter to you based on your question and what your looking for, but whenever I purchase anything that’s significant in cost and ultimately going to be deprecating I at least take it into consideration. I believe with the R8 someone else already took the largest hit...but in the end this probably doesn’t matter, either way you look at it I would personally still go with the R8. Lol

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 Manual 1999 mustang SVT Cobra 2015 Jetta TDI
202 Posts
my take on this is kind of of my own opinion so please take it how you like. 718 gt4 is a fabulous car truly is the best new sports car in that price range by far but there still kind of inflated in value for used examples etc This might change soon when the gt4 RS comes out as there already have been some spy shots of it Depends on use of the car two the r8 is one of those weekend drivers cruise cars to me. Went on my track day with it and sure its fast and fun as hell but there are better cars that are much more passion driven if that makes sense the r8 just kind of goes does its thing and thats it. If you like the cruising and weekend drivers once a week and just want the speed and performance R8 but if your wanting something thats nimble and more exciting to drive and light on its feet GT4 all the way although i heard on the stick shifts 2nd gear can be quite long on those so

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
580 Posts
Two different cars for two different purposes. GT4 is a track rat. 2015 is a HP street GT car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the insights!
I think in terms of value a used Gen 2 would be the way to go at the moment, but we still can't get ourselves to like some of the elements of the interior (large shifter and paddles) and the partial non-functional exterior.

I also should've clarified that if we were to go with the GT4 it would be with a PDK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.