Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R8 V10 plus Performance parts capris to APR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
After 5 years of using my car rather regularly (50’000km at the counter) and tracking it twice on spa Francorchamps, I decided to make it a little more special and capable at the expense of comfort.
We moved to Portugal, next to the estoril race track where I got to participate in two track days with the new config:
  • Audi performance parts full kit
  • KW adjustable suspensions
  • Special brake pads on cc,
  • Engine tune to 650 bhp
  • Michelin cup 2’s
  • Lightweight rims
  • Wrap +ppf
As I learned the track, I kept pushing the car harder and harder.
No surprise that the brake fluid gets overwhelmed after 10 minutes of attack.
I wanted to know what was your latest experience with brake fluids, brake fluid radiator upgrades, weight saving?

i am considering the new recaro podiums that could the the most significant weight saver and on track comfort (I really wiggle around atm) and would like to add a half road cage to make things safer + have good seatbelt setup.

any up to date advices and references would be welcome.
Glad to meet fellow r8 owners in the Lisbon area!
Drive safe!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great car!

Have you considered a lithium ion battery (save about 12kg from the front end) and a super light weight exhaust for the equivalent weight saving at the rear?

Also the carbon fibre antiroll bar really does sharpen up the front end. Well worth a look.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome @Slappymangooze ! Always nice to see another R8 track guy - there's not many of us here. I haven't tracked out my R8 the way I did my previous BMW or Corvette so I can't recommend seats/cage (@Scott-AhlmanPerformance and @FoD are two guys that should be able to give you some advice on that).

As far as your brake fluid temps go, you'll want to run Castrol SRF. It's impossible to not overheat your brake fluid in a non-race car so the nice thing about SRF is that once you boil it, you can let it cool down and it will still be very serviceable while other fluids are essentially done. In order to control these temperatures for hard racing purposes, you'll need to route some brake ducts that feed air behind the rotor. I don't know what systems are available or if you'll just need to get some high temperature ducting and route it back there yourself.

Also, considering planning to move away from Cup 2s. The way your car is setup right now, you deserve more grip than those mediocre tires. I'm running Cup 2s on my stock suspension which probably can't handle anything more than that (it already struggles with track pads and hard braking). It's a great tire from the perspective that it's a factory tire with a ton of grip for road production cars but from the perspective of the track, it's very mediocre.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I suppose the capristo can be considered lightweight.
I will look at the battery, have you got any brands or references to share to make my search easier?

Same question for the anti roll bar, not only it could help, but it would be like a cherry on the cake in terms of looks!
Great car!

Have you considered a lithium ion battery (save about 12kg from the front end) and a super light weight exhaust for the equivalent weight saving at the rear?

Also the carbon fibre antiroll bar really does sharpen up the front end. Well worth a look.

·
Registered
805 Posts
@Slappymangooze Have you done Girodisc rotor conversion on front and rear? It will improve temperatures and they are really good for the track. I'm running front conversion and they work a lot better than the stock wavy rotors.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
295 Posts
Congratulations and what a great first post. Absolutely love the green, If you had tan interior then I'd be jealous ;).

@NYG has already chimed in. Perhaps @Ricky.REP has some advice to add as I think he tracks a gen 2.

Reactions: NYG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the wavy rotors on my c7 rs6 wagon, I hate them! Big let down from Audi to use them and not have proposed a recall. 3d time the 4 discs warp. I had ducts installed, no change. The 680 bhp 2 tons dog carrying machine living in the mountains doesn’t help, but still…

I run the stock ceramic. My issue is that I want to keep the car road legal, and Swiss people are not very keen on letting you change your rotors I’m afraid. I was told I should weigh the disks once in a while and see how much juice they still had. Anyone ever did that? Figures to share?

The giro disks seem like great value! I’ll keep it in mind if I get the balls to do something “illegal” :)

@Slappymangooze Have you done Girodisc rotor conversion on front and rear? It will improve temperatures and they are really good for the track. I'm running front conversion and they work a lot better than the stock wavy rotors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tx mate. It’s the midnight green from inozotek.
Bought the car full black at the dealership but you are right. That would be a fine match.

Congratulations and what a great first post. Absolutely love the green, If you had tan interior then I'd be jealous ;).

@NYG has already chimed in. Perhaps @Ricky.REP has some advice to add as I think he tracks a gen 2.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
295 Posts
I have the wavy rotors on my c7 rs6 wagon, I hate them! Big let down from Audi to use them and not have proposed a recall. 3d time the 4 discs warp. I had ducts installed, no change. The 680 bhp 2 tons dog carrying machine living in the mountains doesn’t help, but still…

I run the stock ceramic. My issue is that I want to keep the car road legal, and Swiss people are not very keen on letting you change your rotors I’m afraid. I was told I should weigh the disks once in a while and see how much juice they still had. Anyone ever did that? Figures to share?

The giro disks seem like great value! I’ll keep it in mind if I get the balls to do something “illegal” :)

From another thread

Precise weights from Audi

Front discs
Steel: 11.060 kg (24.44 lbs)
Ceramic: 6.655 kg (14.71 lbs)

Rear discs
Steel: 9.060 kg (20.02 lbs)
Ceramic: 5.310 kg (11.74 lbs)

Total weight saving: 16.31 kg (36.05 lbs)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great car!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Great looking car. And I’m another Inozetek wrap - Mamba!

As far as weight drop/track readiness, here goes. I went with an Antigravity battery. Extremely light. I also went RWD for some added fun and weight drop. I had the carbon front sway installed. I’m a Gen1, so it wasn’t straight forward. It didn’t drop any weight, but is supposed to be much stiffer. Running factory ceramics. Bilstein Clubsport coils, and a Capristo exhaust attached to LMS headers.

My biggest drop is from the Aventador Carbon Buckets. With my custom fabbed aluminum brackets, they’ll weighless than 29 pounds per. Fully covered in OE leather and alcantara with custom stitch. Shout out to Osman (R8-Stuff) for absolutely killing these!

I added a GMG half cage, but had my local artist fab up the cage so it resembles the OE GT cage. Still waiting test fit with everything, then it’s off to get powder coat and finally install.

Overall, I think I’ve dropped ~250 pounds off the fat girl.
Bicycle Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
FoD you totally nailed it with the seat, dare I ask how much it would cost to do something similar?
Also, how are the LMS headers, made any videos?
PM’d you about seats. As far as the headers, I can definitely feel the increase in power. I had the Capristo put on at the same time as the LMS install to tone down the sound as I had straight pipes previously. Sound is perfect now. No videos yet.

Reactions: Protegimus

·
Registered
644 Posts
PM’d you about seats. As far as the headers, I can definitely feel the increase in power. I had the Capristo put on at the same time as the LMS install to tone down the sound as I had straight pipes previously. Sound is perfect now. No videos yet.
How do you find the seats comfort wise as i daily mine

Could you pm me with costs?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts