Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a R8 as their only car?

My next car will be my last for a while. I hate OPF’s and the direction cars are going in generally.

I’ve come close to buying a R8 a few times but I had a company car as a daily.

From what I’ve read reliability is not a issue and I can’t think of any situations that would present a problem.

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have a R8 as their only car?

My next car will be my last for a while. I hate OPF’s and the direction cars are going in generally.

I’ve come close to buying a R8 a few times but I had a company car as a daily.

From what I’ve read reliability is not a issue and I can’t think of any situations that would present a problem.

Am I missing anything?
I’ve daily driven one for the last year and a half without issue. The only drawback is the price of petrol but it’s worth it. 😀

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve daily driven one for the last year and a half without issue. The only drawback is the price of petrol but it’s worth it. 😀
This is what I wanted to hear 😊

Nothing we can do about the price of petrol. Even smaller engined cars are really thirsty these days if you have a heavy foot because of the turbos.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
302 Posts
Daily driver cars need reliability, lower maintenance cost, daily comfort and creature comfort etc.

Super (or Sports) cars that are good as daily: R8, Turbo S, and NSX

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daily driver cars need reliability, lower maintenance cost, daily comfort and creature comfort etc.

Super (or Sports) cars that are good as daily: R8, Turbo S, and NSX
When I was looking at R8’s previously Turbo s was the other option. Prices have gone through the roof for a turbo s and I really want a NA car anyway.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've put 60k miles on my car as a daily driver. It's an excellent daily except for in snow. Very heavy rain also freaks me out a bit but thw typical light rain in most of the UK that I've experienced does not seem to bother the daily driving.

It's a fantastic daily driver.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only reason I would never DD a sports car is because 1) it stops feeling special and 2) these cars are meant to be driven hard, at least sometimes, and if you are relying on it to get from place to place you're going to baby it. Don't baby cars like this

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Tupper, I don't agree with you. The car still feels special to me every day (when it doesn't I'll get rid of it) and I drive it as hard as a daily as I would as a weekend car. I'm probably easier on my car than most on here in terms of driving it hard, but I still hit the on ramps at full pedal down and take the turns as hard as I would do if it was only a weekend driver.

Of course, this is just my personal view and feelings and csn also see how others would feel differently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

2 seats suits me fine and my mileage is really low now I don’t commute.

From what I’ve read the R8 has less issues than the “practical” car I was considering (f90 M5). The other bonus is it’s much less likely to have been mapped.

Buying most used performance cars is a minefield now everything has turbos.

My biggest frustration with U.K. V10 plus’s has always been how many people spec TT seats!

I’ve seen a cat N car I really like, but it’s priced the same as non cat cars. Wouldn’t really want a repaired car but Suzuka grey and buckets caught my eye.

Ive put a few cars in my fav list and I’ll keep a eye on them over the next few weeks. I know nothing about the current R8 market.

·
Registered
2016 V10+
6 Posts
I much prefer the stitched seats to the bucket ones but it's all subjective! They're a bit different from the ones in the lower models too, the sides don't fall off like they do in the TT and S5 for a start! The only downside to daily driving I've found is parking it. Spaces in the UK just aren't wide enough for cars like the R8 and the massive doors make it even worse. It feels like every modern performance car has the same issue though

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I much prefer the stitched seats to the bucket ones but it's all subjective! They're a bit different from the ones in the lower models too, the sides don't fall off like they do in the TT and S5 for a start! The only downside to daily driving I've found is parking it. Spaces in the UK just aren't wide enough for cars like the R8 and the massive doors make it even worse. It feels like every modern performance car has the same issue though
This is my biggest concern. Being low and wide it would be a nightmare in many U.K. car parks.

I always park miles away from other cars, but every nice car I’ve had always had a car either side when I left the supermarket.

I love bucket seats, even in a daily. I know I’m in the minority. I’m the type of idiot who would spec a cage and fire extinguisher in a gt3, then never go to a track.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As an American in the UK for a while, I can confirm that your parking spaces are stupid small. I mean, what happens at a football game over here after the 4th quarter ends and the parking lot is 80% full of F150's? Explain that to me.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Exactly how many F150's have you seen in the UK?

Know what you mean though, the parking spaces are small. Cars have got bigger but spaces haven't.

Reactions: Protegimus

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Zero f150s. Seen a few rangers though. I also get a real kick out of seeing sedans and small cars pull campers or whatever they are called. Is it a caravan? I don't know the proper word. But it makes me laugh because i never knew small cars could tow that stuff.

I have to say I'm liking England more and more as I spend time here. Prior to this summer I'd been only to London a bunch of times and to Newcastle and a few surf beaches. There is just so much here and it's so much more chill than America. I'm becoming a real fan of this place.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Zero f150s. Seen a few rangers though. I also get a real kick out of seeing sedans and small cars pull campers or whatever they are called. Is it a caravan? I don't know the proper word. But it makes me laugh because i never knew small cars could tow that stuff.

I have to say I'm liking England more and more as I spend time here. Prior to this summer I'd been only to London a bunch of times and to Newcastle and a few surf beaches. There is just so much here and it's so much more chill than America. I'm becoming a real fan of this place.
Yes they're called caravans. They are also one of the biggest PITA's when it comes to driving pleasure as they tend to drive in groups and slowly too.

Reactions: Protegimus

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My fidelity warranty on my 2014 cost me about 5k in 2018 when I bought the car and it's paid out several times over. People tend to love the fidelity warranty if you can still get it.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Fidelity warranties are not available in the UK. Your best option is an Audi warranty.

Reactions: Kev.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts