Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my 2017 yesterday and noticed the two USB ports have the USB symbol, instead of port 1 having a smartphone symbol, like some pictures I've seen. Plugging my phone in charges it, but doesn't bring up the Android Auto option, like it did in the 2017 S3 I had. I was hoping because they were both 2017 they'd work the same, but it seems that may not be the case. I'm not sure when it was manufactured (I have to check the door jamb), but I believe it may have been 2016.

Not a deal breaker, but it would be great if it had Android Auto. Maybe you all know of a software update or hardware change that can be made to support it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi! i also own a 17. I had Audi's telecom upgrade to my car (approx $500) which activated CarPlay, etc. Works like a charm eventhough I find the usefulness of the car/phone interface of little added value since I have the audi internet connection.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for that. I'll try it.
Hey,

I recently bought a 2017 as well and no Android Auto. Was wondering if you obtained that part from Audi and how it panned out? What was the cost? Did you need extra parts? Was it an easy install?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2017. I purchased the part and just tried to had it installed at the dealer yesterday. They told me that it couldn't fit my vehicle b/c of the production date so now I have that part sitting around. LMK if interested.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2017. I purchased the part and just tried to had it installed at the dealer yesterday. They told me that it couldn't fit my vehicle b/c of the production date so now I have that part sitting around. LMK if interested.
What is your production date?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s not even a disc. It’s just brochure contained in a DVD case that has 3 rows of codes. I don’t think it’s VIN matched.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
It’s not even a disc. It’s just brochure contained in a DVD case that has 3 rows of codes. I don’t think it’s VIN matched.
Does the codes come with your retrofit, or this is a separate order?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the codes come with your retrofit, or this is a separate order?
Let me check with the dealer also. It says it’s valid for a single use so I just want to make sure that since it doesn’t fit my vehicle it can still be used on another car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you call Audi and give them the part number + VIN they can tell you if it will work. For me they said I only need the code and no other hardware. If you haven't used it and it can be sold, were you thinking of selling it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you call Audi and give them the part number + VIN they can tell you if it will work. For me they said I only need the code and no other hardware. If you haven't used it and it can be sold, were you thinking of selling it?
If it can be transferred, yes. I’m going to check with Audi tomorrow if it can be transferred, since the dealer entered the code already in my vehicle and CarPlay didn’t show up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just read through an entire thread (title below). Before you have them do anything you might want to ask them to do a hard reset if they did not of the MMI. It seems like that is what did the trick for some of the other people.

"Audi Smartphone Interface Retrofit now available through dealer." Sorry not sure how to get the actual link on here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just read through an entire thread. Before you have them do anything you might want to ask them to do a hard reset if they did not of the MMI period. It eems like that is what did the trick for some of the other people.

"Audi Smartphone Interface Retrofit now available through dealer." Sorry not sure how get the actual link on here.
Think I need the hardware update in addition to the activation code. Has anybody done this? If so, where can I purchase the hardware?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Think I need the hardware update in addition to the activation code. Has anybody done this? If so, where can I purchase the hardware?
No hardware. Just software activation tho it’s been said on the forums that early early 17 builds had issues with activation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just spoke to the dealer this afternoon. Looks like they have a discount for it if I buy through them. The parts manager did not know something like this was offered. Said it likely is installed similar to how they do updates. $150-200 for the install. So about $500 total.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts