Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dealer Parts Counter told me the Interface is compatible with my car via VIN lookup, January 2016 Build Date, but the tech installed today and no luck.

Tried hard MMI resets, different Apple cables, no Carplay :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dealer Parts Counter told me the Interface is compatible with my car via VIN lookup, January 2016 Build Date, but the tech installed today and no luck.

Tried hard MMI resets, different Apple cables, no Carplay :(
Looks like the same issue with mine. You need MMI MIB2 instead of MIB1 which is likely what you have.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That’s what it was built with.
MMI Software Version is MHI2
If it was MIB1 it would be MHIG

I’m doing a lot of searching and think I may know what is needed for ours to work.Looks like early Q7’s had the same issue... need a little hardware.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That’s what it was built with.
MMI Software Version is MHI2
If it was MIB1 it would be MHIG

I’m doing a lot of searching and think I may know what is needed for ours to work.Looks like early Q7’s had the same issue... need a little hardware.
Sounds great, definitely keep me posted. I’ve been looking around also but no luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I have learned;

- Smartphone Interface retrofit 4M0051472 will work as normal on R8's built May 30, 2016 and after. (Dealer inputs 3 codes, software is downloaded, MMI is Hard Reset, and Audi Smartphone Interface shows in MMI, Carplay/Android Auto is available when plugged into USB.)

- If you have a picture of a Smartphone on your USB connector, Smartphone Interface retrofit 4M0051472 will not work without replacing some hardware as well (the USB Interface, testing this soon, part is on the way).

·
Registered
36 Posts
What I have learned;

- Smartphone Interface retrofit 4M0051472 will work as normal on R8's built May 30, 2016 and after. (Dealer inputs 3 codes, software is downloaded, MMI is Hard Reset, and Audi Smartphone Interface shows in MMI, Carplay/Android Auto is available when plugged into USB.)

- If you have a picture of a Smartphone on your USB connector, Smartphone Interface retrofit 4M0051472 will not work without replacing some hardware as well (the USB Interface, testing this soon, part is on the way).
I assume on the 2nd point you meant if you don't have a picture of a Smartphone on the USB connector? Can you let me know where you got the part from?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I assume on the 2nd point you meant if you don't have a picture of a Smartphone on the USB connector? Can you let me know where you got the part from?
No opposite. If you have the picture of a smartphone, it is not compatible with Smartphone interface.

Above will not work with Smartphone Interface Retrofit, This is installed in R8's built before May 30, 2016

Above is installed in R8's built May 30, 2016 and after. This has the ASI chip inside.

Once I am sure the PN that I have coming works I will post it.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Just got mine installed this afternoon for $800 ($400 for the codes and 2 hrs of labor...), and it is working good so far. Although it is wired only, should still be pretty useful. One note is that make sure you or your Audi Tech test the interface with an actual USB data cable, NOT a charge only Apple/Android cable, as my tech thought he did something wrong and wasted a bunch of time trying to debug the install. Incidentally he tested it with two charge cable twice, before realizing the mistake and finally grabbing a third data enabled cable for the test. Also, the code package does NOT come with any instruction for the install, so you will likely have to get a tech to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got mine installed this afternoon for $800 ($400 for the codes and 2 hrs of labor...), and it is working good so far. Although it is wired only, should still be pretty useful. One note is that make sure you or your Audi Tech test the interface with an actual USB data cable, NOT a charge only Apple/Android cable, as my tech thought he did something wrong and wasted a bunch of time trying to debug the install. Incidentally he tested it with two charge cable twice, before realizing the mistake and finally grabbing a third data enabled cable for the test. Also, the code package does NOT come with any instruction for the install, so you will likely have to get a tech to do it.
How do you like it? I have wanted it but never used it. Is it worth the money and effort? Big improvement? The pictures show that the map doesn't wrap around like the Google Earth one.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Before I fully answer your question, I need to give you a bit of my background. Before I got my 2017 spyder a month ago, I was driving a 2013 Nissan GT-R as my daily, and leasing an 2018 Audi Q5 for my parent. The GT-R has no smartphone interface, which mean I was using Waze only with a magnetic mount. As for the Q5, it comes with the smartphone interface, and it is wireless, so all I have to do is get in the car and Android Auto will auto launch. This R8 retrofit is somewhere in the middle. You get Waze in your dash, which is a big help, but you have to connect with a cable. I suspect the one from MY20/21 are wireless, but I am not sure. As you all know, if you try to mount a phone with a magnetic mount on the middle vents, your phone is basically tilted 45 degrees back, which will dim your phone on a good day, and out right unusable if glare hits. In this sense, the retrofit allows you to safely tug the phone into the tray, and let you worry about driving. This basically remove the chance of your phone popping off your mount due to a bad pothole or hard cornering, and God forbid if you try to mount a Samsung Z Fold 2. I guess my point is that you should think about this $800 retrofit as a way to safeguard your $1000+ phone from dismount damage, more so than a tech upgrade.

p.s. yes the map is much more stable, but it will only display in "full view" mode, so you can't tug the window to left gauge like the stock maps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apprently they have this - Carlinkit-Wireless-CarPlay but only for Apple car play. I will have to see. I don't mind plugging my phone in when I get in the car. I feel the feature set of using Google maps and assistant as well as answering texts without taking hands of the wheel seems worth it.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
I think so too, and this make the car decently future proof, while retaining a clean look for the center console.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No opposite. If you have the picture of a smartphone, it is not compatible with Smartphone interface.

View attachment 255222
Above will not work with Smartphone Interface Retrofit, This is installed in R8's built before May 30, 2016

View attachment 255223

Above is installed in R8's built May 30, 2016 and after. This has the ASI chip inside.

Once I am sure the PN that I have coming works I will post it.
Marklar—looking back on previous threads we have been chasing this apply play issue. I see you tracked down cars with the phone pic on the port is missing some hardware ...i also have the phone pic but like u I have the “correct “ MHI2 software version. I have not bought the license yet from Audi to see if it works ...mainly because before this thread I thought it may work, but now this find with the phone pic shoots me out of it. So I will be watching to see what part you get and if ut works ...thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
What I have learned;

Hi Everyone. I just purchased a used 2017 R8.

It was manufactured in June, 2016 so it should be eligible for the smartphone interface retrofit.

Is there any way to determine if this retrofit has already been applied to the MMI?

The car is unfortunately already at an Audi dealer service department as the seller's local audi dealer overfilled the oil during the pre-sale oil change. So it will be a couple of days before I can dig into this further.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Tell your dealer to connect an Android phone with a data, NOT charging only, cable to the usb port, then Android Auto will show under "menu". If no change, then you need to get the update. Also, if you do have the new update, the phone's Android Auto app will launch, even when the MMI stay at the other screens.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To check if Android/CarPlay is enabled;
- Enter MMI Engineering Mode
Menu -> Settings
BACK BUTTON+ TOP LEFT BUTTON
- Verify these Activation Keys are present

21 - 40 of 49 Posts