Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
226 Posts
I keep coming back to the question is this worth $800 for apple car play because you don’t have a touch screen. I’m told you use the steering wheel controls, but if it doesn’t come with instructions, how do you figure it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Sheep and marklar182, I will try these next time I have access to my 'new to me' R8.

Given that we had freezing rain all night Saturday here in Dallas and expect 8 inches or so of snow through Monday... and it won't get above freezing again until Friday, I expect the R8 will be stuck at the dealer service department for a while before I can get it back home safely.

Remember, this is Texas. We laugh at 110F, but implode when a single snowflake drops from the heavens, LOL. I think I last noticed a snowflake or two about 5 years ago. But I am not sure, it could have been dust 😉

·
Registered
142 Posts
I keep coming back to the question is this worth $800 for apple car play because you don’t have a touch screen. I’m told you use the steering wheel controls, but if it doesn’t come with instructions, how do you figure it out.
Good question. Can someone who has done this provide some basic usage information?

Android Auto is new to me as well and I certainly don't know what to expect in terms of functionality that this patch enables on 2017 R8's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Blade Gunner.

I think the R8 MMI in the later 2017 model build is the same as the one used in the 2018 R8 model year.

So the 2018 owners manual and quick start guide will provide information on how the 2017 R8 MMI will likely work after the Audi R8 smartphone interface retrofit is installed.

Here is a link to the 2018 R8 MMI quick start guide as an example:

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
226 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have educated my local Audi dealership R8 service advisor and R8 technicians regarding the smartphone interface retrofit. And, I have ordered the retrofit. $395 for the retrofit plus $185 for the installation.

The installation charge is rediculous. You simply enter a couple of codes and reset the system as far as I can tell. It seems if a tech breathes on your car for even a second or two, you have to eat a 1 hour labor charge.

Hopefully the android auto functionality will be useful enough to justify the expense.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Just make sure they didn't test it with a charge only cable, then spent over an hour wondering why it didn't work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just make sure they didn't test it with a charge only cable, then spent over an hour wondering why it didn't work.
Sorry Sheep, I might not have been clear. They have not installed the update yet as the codes have to be ordered and shipped.

The price I provided is what they charged me up front to do the install and order the codes.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I have the Smartphone interface on my MY17 - factory option at £250 ($350 at current exchange rates). The rate you are paying seems reasonable I guess, it's always going to cost more to retrofit equipment as you have the labour change to consider.

I don't use Android Auto very much on a day today basis as most of my trips are less than half an hour. I either play Radio, or play music from either SD card or manually from my phone before I set off through the BT.

The big advantage of A.Auto was ability to use google maps when I'm outside Northern Ireland on holiday. I can plan a route on my laptop, send it to my phone, then view the route and instructions on the Virtual cockpit. With the factory fit satnav you only have the ability to select one way point (via point or stopover) which is useless if you want to select the best driving roads down through Wales or across the Alps.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts