Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I read, the only difference in the 2 years is the laser headlights and the MMI having Car Play / Andriod Auto (which can be added to a 17). Is there anything else? Are the headlights and tail lights sweeping on both?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a 2016 and now a 2018 V10 Plus. The first one had all the toys, mag ride, b&o audio, fine nappa cross stitched seats etc. The second one has no b&o, no fine nappa and no mag ride and I have to say I miss all the old toys. The car is also very different in the way that it rides (obviously due to sports suspension and not mag ride) but also in the way that it drives and sounds. The engine mapping is very different to the 2016 car in every different mode too. In comfort, its pretty much the same, but in dynamic its nowhere near as loud or pops and bangs very much, you have to put it in track mode (performance on the small dial) to get it to sound like it did in the 2016 car and even then its slightly more muffled and still has less pops and bangs than my old 2016.

I was actually disappointed with the 2018 version to be honest. Oh and retro fitting isnt really a thing on these gen 2's (at least here in the UK). I was quoted £12,000 to change the seats and £6,000 to add the B&O Sound system back. Likewise, adding Apple car play wasnt even an option Audi would give me or the wireless charging box, explaining that neither could be retro fitted to the 2018 version... I hadn't even noticed the lights, but on checking photos, they are exactly the same. Maybe you are talking about the 2020 facelift version? But I think the style and shape of the lights is indentical on all gen 2s.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info, thanks! I am actually looking at a U.S. spec car. It sounds like the UK cars are very different. I am mainly trying to justify the price difference in an 18 over the 17 or if I could just save the 20-30k and get a 17.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think the laser headlights were available on US cars at all

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great info, thanks! I am actually looking at a U.S. spec car. It sounds like the UK cars are very different. I am mainly trying to justify the price difference in an 18 over the 17 or if I could just save the 20-30k and get a 17.
Warranty may play a decent factor. I was in same dilemma...ended up with a 17 plus with 3,000 miles...chose to save the 20+k. Been searching for a extended warranty because it’s up in May 2020

·
Registered
99 Posts
Black optics was a option in 18. Grill and badging in black wheels too. Laser lights and apple car play had the software in later 18’s. That’s about all I know

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black optics was a option in 18. Grill and badging in black wheels too. Laser lights and apple car play had the software in later 18’s. That’s about all I know
Good info, thanks! Wheels can be changed and Car Play added, so the lights can't be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Laser Lights are an expensive aftermarket option, and whilst installation is possible, it’s relatively involved.

There is a YouTube video of someone who has done it.

Its the one thing you probably DO NOT want to be retrofitting.

I ensured my car had it for the above reasons.

High Priority Items (expensive/hard to fit) should be: Laser Lights, Extended Leather Pack, Comfort Seats (in your preferred colour), B&O, Dynamic Steering

Low priority items (cheaper/easier to fit) should be: Alcantara Headlining, Alcantara Steering Wheel, Carbon Engine Bay, Black Optics Pack, Black Wheel, Sports Exhaust, Apple Car Play

Good info, thanks! Wheels can be changed and Car Play added, so the lights can't be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
490 Posts
From what I've read, unless you live in the sticks on back roads with not a lot of traffic the laser lights don't even activate. If you live in or near a city or do a lot of city driving, they aren't even going to come on. Just fyi.

A note on exhaust sounds and over run (cracks and pops). In 2018 they cars were kept at the port a long time before being released and one of the UEC flashes severely removes the exhaust overrun. A lot of the 17 owners don't and didn't allow the ECU's to be updates. I know mine for example has never had the update. Just something else to consider. You can always have an aftermarket UCU tune that will restore it but then you mess with warranty issues potentially.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Def go for the 2017 and save thousands. I went that route and ended up with a '17 V10 Plus with 8k miles and Certified Pre-owned, so I have warranty until Mid 2023. Miles matter on resale, but I promise you that having an active warranty on resale will matter more than anything. I can't imagine someone looking to buy a used R8 and the warranty just expired recently, lol. Personally, I plan to get out of mine with at least 4-6 months left on the warranty so the new buyer has time to extend it another year. These high-end cars are too risky to own without warranty. Period.

·
Registered
107 Posts
17 has matte carbon and the 18 has gloss carbon interior. I went with a 17 got the BO grill and powder coated my wheels black. Saved 20k in the process. Got extended warranty which ends in 2026.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great idea. The one I am looking at is under Audi warranty until August of 2021. Which after market warranty companies have you used and been happy with?

I'l looking at a Suzuka with 5k miles and the titanium wheels and i do like it, but may powder coat the wheels and do then grill later on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great idea. The one I am looking at is under Audi warranty until August of 2021. Which after market warranty companies have you used and been happy with?

I'l looking at a Suzuka with 5k miles and the titanium wheels and i do like it, but may powder coat the wheels and do then grill later on.
I know exactly which R8 you are referring to, lol. I was about to make an offer on it until I read that they are ‘no haggle’ and I didn’t want to pay their asking price. Also, I’ve had so many white cars or cars with a color similar to white that I didn’t want another one. That car has been available for a while though and I believe it has Audi Care on it as well.

You don’t need an after market warranty, just extend the factory warranty through Audi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep. I was all ready to call them, ran the CarFax and it had rear end damage. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know exactly which R8 you are referring to, lol. I was about to make an offer on it until I read that they are ‘no haggle’ and I didn’t want to pay their asking price. Also, I’ve had so many white cars or cars with a color similar to white that I didn’t want another one. That car has been available for a while though and I believe it has Audi Care on it as well.

You don’t need an after market warranty, just extend the factory warranty through Audi.
As far as I know and if something has changed please let me know. You can not extend the Audi warranty anymore after point of sale ..effective around July of 2019. Now if I’m wrong ..please chime in but this came directly from Audi dealer. The r8 is the only car they cannot extend warranty after point of sale anymore

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the U.K., it’s usually if it has ‘lapsed’ that it cannot be extended.

Or, it costs more to do so if it has lapsed.

I cannot remember which it is

As far as I know and if something has changed please let me know. You can not extend the Audi warranty anymore after point of sale ..effective around July of 2019. Now if I’m wrong ..please chime in but this came directly from Audi dealer. The r8 is the only car they cannot extend warranty after point of sale anymore

1 - 20 of 67 Posts