Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
How is your warranty up in April or May 2020? I assume you mean in 2021...
You know good question...lol...im 99 percent sure they told me 2020. I bought the car via private owner but called dealer to get warranty info. Is factory 4 year or 3 year/36k? If it’s 3 year it makes sense but if it’s a 4 year then it would be 2021.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Let me clear up what I said some.

I bought my 2017 from a private owner...car has 3000 miles on it. I called dealer to buy extended warranty..they informed me as of April or may (can’t remember) of 2019 they can’t sell a extended warranty After point of sale. Remember I didn’t buy it from any Audi dealer. So maybe different if it’s a cpo or just sold from a dealer. My car does still have the factory warranty but will be running out. Its worth a phone call but this is what I know as of now

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey guys - one clarification on the Audi extended warranty policy - you can get them on an R8 (in my case a 17+ that I bought 4 months ago) from the Audi dealership at the TIME OF PURCHASE. One day later and it’s a no-go. Apparently they were having issues with people purchasing warranties and filing expensive claims in the first 30 days. I confirmed this with 2 different dealers and bought an extended warranty when I bought my car... I started a related thread on this forum when I was trying to figure it out...
And I bought mine from a private owner and then called Audi to buy a extended warranty (my car is still under factory warranty) and they said they don’t offer them anymore as of mid 2019....unless is was bought at time when car was purchased new. I’m thinking if someone bought the car from them they may sell one at the time of sale like in your case. In my case I didn’t buy from a dealer. I think I’ll call another Audi dealer tomorrow and check again

·
Registered
133 Posts
I verified that I can only buy a fidelity platinum warranty. My car is a 17 plus with 3,000 miles...factory warranty is up 4/2020.....Audi will not sell the Audi warranty. I bought the car private sale not a dealer
How is your warranty up in April or May 2020? I assume you mean in 2021...
checked today...in service date 4/2016...must have been one of the earliest 2017 on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good info, thanks! Wheels can be changed and Car Play added, so the lights can't be that big of a deal.
Just a heads up that it might not be possible to add the 2018 infotainment upgrades to all of the 2017 cars. I can't remember where I saw this (but definitely on this site somewhere), but someone had indicated the hardware actually changed mid 2017 and early builds in that model year couldn't get the upgrade but later ones could. Apologies if I'm entirely off-base about this. I have a 2017 and did the upgrade - was painless and very happy to have done it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That may explain a few things. The Knoxville dealer said it couldn’t be done.. Louisville said it could. Then Knoxville came back and said I needed hardware. I think mine is an earlier one , so I’ll have to take it in and see. I think it requires the hardware. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I verified that I can only buy a fidelity platinum warranty. My car is a 17 plus with 3,000 miles...factory warranty is up 4/2020.....Audi will not sell the Audi warranty. I bought the car private sale not a dealer

checked today...in service date 4/2016...must have been one of the earliest 2017 on the road.
That's sad 4 year old car only 3,000 miles. I thought my in service date was early (June 2016). Mine expires in June of 2020. Basically if I want to extend warranty I have to go 3rd party and do it before it expires correct?

23,000+ miles and counting on mine. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's sad 4 year old car only 3,000 miles. I thought my in service date was early (June 2016). Mine expires in June of 2020. Basically if I want to extend warranty I have to go 3rd party and do it before it expires correct?

23,000+ miles and counting on mine. :)
Previous owner didn’t drive it so yes that’s sad but good buy for me. On side note I put a good 1000 miles on it before winter hit...I love driving it and look for the long ride home as much as I can...and waiting for the weather to break....another month or so. Yes as far as I know purchase the warranty before the factory one is up. Fidelity platinum seems to be the way to go....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Previous owner didn’t drive it so yes that’s sad but good buy for me. On side note I put a good 1000 miles on it before winter hit...I love driving it and look for the long ride home as much as I can...and waiting for the weather to break....another month or so. Yes as far as I know purchase the warranty before the factory one is up. Fidelity platinum seems to be the way to go....
I'm also debating is it even worth warranty? Minus a rare engine/transmission failure I can't see making the money back on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
One strategy is to put the money one would spend on a warranty into a separate bank account.

Hopefully you‘ll never need it, and can cash out when you sell the vehicle.

I'm also debating is it even worth warranty? Minus a rare engine/transmission failure I can't see making the money back on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Haha! Debating on getting warranty extended on an exotic vehicle (hell, any vehicle for that matter) is like saying I’ll skip on insurance because the chances of the car getting totaled is rare. Warranty is essential if you’re going to keep the car outside of its factory warranty period.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For the cost ....to me it’s a no brainer To get it. Yes always that chance you won’t need it but like any insurance.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Haha! Debating on getting warranty extended on an exotic vehicle (hell, any vehicle for that matter) is like saying I’ll skip on insurance because the chances of the car getting totaled is rare. Warranty is essential if you’re going to keep the car outside of its factory warranty period.
That's definitely not true whatsoever. Do you get the warranty for everything you buy? Your TV, your computer, your other electronic purchases. If you do you're just throwing money away. Want to modify your vehicle? You may have some additional leeway with an aftermarket warranty vs factory but you're still limited with what you can do.

With that said, I went for 3.5 years and 40,000 miles on a modded GT-R with no warranty and was fine. I'm sure on a BONE STOCK car minus exhaust there shouldn't be any catastrophic failures other than bad luck. My R8 has a good amount of mileage so it's not like I haven't worked the kinks out of said car (plus I owned it the majority of it's life).

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's definitely not true whatsoever. Do you get the warranty for everything you buy? Your TV, your computer, your other electronic purchases. If you do you're just throwing money away. Want to modify your vehicle? You may have some additional leeway with an aftermarket warranty vs factory but you're still limited with what you can do.

With that said, I went for 3.5 years and 40,000 miles on a modded GT-R with no warranty and was fine. I'm sure on a BONE STOCK car minus exhaust there shouldn't be any catastrophic failures other than bad luck. My R8 has a good amount of mileage so it's not like I haven't worked the kinks out of said car (plus I owned it the majority of it's life).
Can't really compare not getting a warranty on a consumer electronic to not getting a warranty on a used exotic supercar. The value of buying an extended warranty is obviously relative to each person. However, for me, I would not have bought the R8 I have without some factory warranty on it. I know I won't keep the car more than 1-2 years and for resale I'll get my asking price because it will have a least a 1 year left on the factory warranty. Most people value warranty on a used car just simply due to peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Can't really compare not getting a warranty on a consumer electronic to not getting a warranty on a used exotic supercar. The value of buying an extended warranty is obviously relative to each person. However, for me, I would not have bought the R8 I have without some factory warranty on it. I know I won't keep the car more than 1-2 years and for resale I'll get my asking price because it will have a least a 1 year left on the factory warranty. Most people value warranty on a used car just simply due to peace of mind.
Having my R8 for 3 of it's 4 years of warranty service I'd like to think after over 20k of mileage put on me if there were a glaring fault it would have reared it's head by now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Having my R8 for 3 of it's 4 years of warranty service I'd like to think after over 20k of mileage put on me if there were a glaring fault it would have reared it's head by now.
Hope you are right....but that’s like saying I have been driving for 15 years and never had a accident that was my fault....so why do in need to have car insurance .??‍♂

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hope you are right....but that’s like saying I have been driving for 15 years and never had a accident that was my fault....so why do in need to have car insurance .??‍♂
Auto insurance and a car warranty are not the same but whatever floats your boat... ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Auto insurance and a car warranty are not the same but whatever floats your boat... ?
Very similar...similar to term life insurance also..it’s a gamble and hope you don’t need it....but I’m with ya I’m all for the extended warranty....

41 - 60 of 67 Posts