Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I just got a brand new 2020 coupe (base model) and I am super excited about it. I am starting to work on all my upgrades and I was trying to figure out what to do with the steering wheel. I am throwing on a Capristo exhaust with valve controls so I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the steering wheel to a carbon fiber one that I found on ebay. I would link it but this is my first post so it will not allow me. It has the same buttons as a v10+ or performance model though so it is not natively meant for my version.

Here are some questions that I had -

Is it possible to use a wheel that is made for the performance version on a base model? I understand a few of the buttons won't work (exhaust and performance selections).

And the next question, assuming I could just swap out the steering wheels,

Would it somehow be possible to control the Capristo exhaust valves using this steering wheel via the exhaust button?

Also, would this have any impact on my warranty (assuming you would have to go in and program the exhaust button to work)?

Thanks!
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'll let the experts on more modern R8's answer your questions. Enjoy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have to agree with you. I do not know why Audi does not offer CF steering wheel. Without it, the car looks naked, IMO.

So, I did update my Gen2 steering wheel a few months back. Here is what I know...

Steering wheel for late model TT RS R8 are the same. Well, not entirely, the cars without the start button do not come with a steering wheel with openings on the sides to insert and secure the buttons. So if you buy one for a TT, for example, you’ll have to carve out the openings yourself. It is an easy job with a dremel. That’s what I did. 🙂
Your cost drops down to about $1100 including the CF Y shaped part in the middle (sorry I do not know the name of it. It is the red part in the fleebay listing.) if you get it painted of a color of your choice, the cost is cheaper...
Oh, BTW, you’ll have to transfer the wiring inside the steering wheel from your original to the new one as well. But that’s it.
If you get plus steering wheel, you’ll definitely have to reprogram the ecu to enable the button for the exhaust flaps. I thought about doing the same thing but decided against it (voiding the warranty was my concern...)
As for the fleebay item, first, it is heavily over-priced, IMO. Second, they modified the airbag module and made the sides CF. If something happens, your insurance company may object to this modification...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts