Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just added the third quart of oil in 2,600 miles.

Does this seem excessive or have others had similar experiences?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Consumption seems to vary enormously although your usage of a quart every 850 miles or thereabouts does seem rather high unless you are driving it particularly hard

Mine took a litre (just less than a quart) at 1500 miles and a further litre at 3500 miles.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Seems a bit excessive. Mine took 1 quart up to 7K (1st service) and so far another 1/2 quart up to 12K. My Audi tech said that my experience was "within norms"

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Maybe Jeffs' R8 lives on the red-line ??:eek: :D :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
That would be similar to my oil top ups over the same mileage in its early days

I now have 11000 miles and it barely uses a drop....

Don't sweat it too much as they do chew it up and should settle down like mine.:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I certainly do enjoy a fast run, I rarely hit the red line and haven't yet hit the rev limiter. Most of my driving is rather sedate -- around down, occasional freeway at (or at least reasonably close to) posted limits.

No oil spots anywhere in my garage, so there's no leak. Nevertheless, I'm going to bring the car in and have the service department take a look.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jeff, My selling dealer did say initially that this engine is somewhat prone to oil usage; maybe more that a "normal" engine. I experienced what I thought was slightly excessive oil usage initially, but it leveled off to almost nothing as we hit 3-4-5k miles. Just had the 5k service, with new oil and filter, plus ECU upgrades, and we'll see how she does now.

I've never noted a drop of leakage and I have a 4-post lift, so can see the overall bottom of my cars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dropped by my dealer yesterday. Two technicians told me to expect oil consumption, and that a recent technical service bulletin indicated that "excessive" consumption is considered more than a half quart every 500 miles.

The dealer can run an oil consumption test, which seems a bit of overkill right now.

Based on the previous two posts, I plan to spend more time in the high rev range for a while to see if that helps the engine out in the long run. Not that I mind at all of course.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can anyone explain in simple terms just why these engines have such wild differences in oil consumption ?

I know driving style can have quite an impact but extremes of 750 miles and 7000 miles per quart (and everything else between) seems crazy.

Perhaps they only burn oil in a certain rev range or on start -up or whatever :confused:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I watched my oil level like a hawk after reading reports on this forum. I have to admit that I had the oil bottle ready every time I checked the oil (every gas up). It seems that my experience has been less dramatic than others.

I start and run my car every day at least 30 miles winter and summer. The car rarely gets a day off. Hit redline several times a month and I push the car on and off interstate ramps, etc. Most of my driving is interstate at 75-85 MPH where I will be in 6th. During acceleration, I keep the revs up. Who knows? Be interested in any educated opinion as to why there is such a variance.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Could there be different pistons / rings manufacturers for cars coming off the assembly lines?? Mahle pistons?? Different engine assembly lines?...An assembler who beleives in his own tolerances ?? Where's that Detective Lawyer guy ... :cool: I'm cool on oil consumption.Don't dig having to tote oil around with me.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Could there be different pistons / rings manufacturers for cars coming off the assembly lines?? Mahle pistons?? Different engine assembly lines?...An assembler who beleives in his own tolerances ?? Where's that Detective Lawyer guy ... :cool: I'm cool on oil consumption.Don't dig having to tote oil around with me.
what's the volume difference from "full" to "add"??

one of the supposed secondary advantages of a "dry sump" oiling system, in most applications, is that you have a fairly large reservoir of oil (I think the R8 is 15 qts. to full from empty isn't it?); I was talking with a guy once who vintage raced an old "C-type" Jaguar with a dry sump and I think it held something like 16 liters of oil (which it went thru at a prodigous rate when racing) but you only had to "add" when it was down a couple of liters.

it would seem that the exact oil volume on board would NOT be critical as lone as the reservoir was full enough to provide the oiling system with a constant supply; it's not like your depending on "splash" oiling from your bottom end...in fact that's the whole point of the dry sump I think.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I watched my oil level like a hawk after reading reports on this forum. I have to admit that I had the oil bottle ready every time I checked the oil (every gas up). It seems that my experience has been less dramatic than others.

I start and run my car every day at least 30 miles winter and summer. The car rarely gets a day off. Hit redline several times a month and I push the car on and off interstate ramps, etc. Most of my driving is interstate at 75-85 MPH where I will be in 6th. During acceleration, I keep the revs up. Who knows? Be interested in any educated opinion as to why there is such a variance.
In a thread titled: "Is the R8's Engine Block Cast Iron", about 8 months ago, I said this:
It is pretty amazing that the Audi USA web site has the WRONG SPECS for the R8 engine, but I looked at it also, and they are indeed wrong!

I have a copy of the original Road & Track road test and tech analysis on the R8, and it says the R8 engine, which originally appeared in the B7-RS4 (and then was modified-dry sump, among other points) for the R8 has an all aluminum alloy engine. According the the R&T article, the R8 engine has an alloy block with Nikasil cylinder bores. "Nikasil" is a trademark owned my Mahle, the German engine component supplier that did pioneering work in alloy engines.

The name refers to a Silicon-Carbide compound imbedded in a Nickel plating that is electrolytically deposited on alloy surfaces to harden them. It or a generic version of it is widely used to harden cylinder bores in alloy engines.
"All the Japanese motorcycle engine builders" are said to use "Nikasil type" bore coatings.

It is described as a very hard surface, designed to mate with very hard chromium steel rings, and in the motorcycle engine lore about Nikasil, they all say that it requires a "hard running in," to properly bed the rings. The motorcylcle guys say if you don't vigorously "run in" your Nikasil bores, you will have perpetually high oil consumption!

Kind of fits with the R8 reports we hear of high initial oil consumption. I suspect that Audi likely drew on Mahle when it developed bore coating, rings and pistons for the R8 engine.
I don't know squat about motorcycle engines, but I researched Nikasil bore coating a little bit and came up with that piece of opinion about running in motorcycle engines, ring bedding, oil consumption, etc., and passed it along.

A guy named DAN1 came down all over me as that being totally untrue in his motorcycle experience, and that sort of ended the discussion. But I submit that this MIGHT have something to do with the wide variation in reported oil consumption in R8's, and the fact that they all eventually settle down with extended run-in time. I also opined that this MIGHT be a reason to break your R8 in vigorously, but opinions about "breaking in" are right up there with politics and religion as subjects that are sure to bring up an argument, which I'm not interested in at this time :rolleyes:

But I dredge this up FWIW; you can search out the thread easily if you care, look for "cast iron".

·
Registered
8 Posts
so basically every single R8 out there requires quartz of oil every so often? ranging from 1000 miles to every 5000 miles?

does this happen to everyone?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
so basically every single R8 out there requires quartz of oil every so often? ranging from 1000 miles to every 5000 miles?

does this happen to everyone?
If you use the search, you will find a lot of threads about oil consumption. Most people have had to add more oil in the early life of the engine, as it becomes broken in. There have been some cars that have had more issues, but but that happens with all cars. I have only had to add one quart in the 3,800 miles so far.

Try the search and your questions should be answered...

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I have ~4000 miles on mine. It took one quart of oil at ~2600 miles. I had an oil light at ~3900 miles. When I got home I checked the oil level and added ~1/2 quart.

5 quart containers of 5-30 Castrol Synthetic at Wal*Mart are REALLY CHEAP!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have ~4000 miles on mine. It took one quart of oil at ~2600 miles. I had an oil light at ~3900 miles. When I got home I checked the oil level and added ~1/2 quart.

5 quart containers of 5-30 Castrol Synthetic at Wal*Mart are REALLY CHEAP!
Not too big of a deal but 5-40 is recommended

1 - 18 of 18 Posts