Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
My 14’ V8 is in for the 35k service at Audi. They haven’t started working on it, but figured I would toss up a message to get feedback on anything that may be good to reinforce to the SA/R8 tech since this thing will be at Audi and up on the rack for awhile today. The 35k is a major service, car currently has 29,950 miles. Prior to my ownership was a Bay Area car (*hint traffic), 3 prior owners. The recent PPI checked out prior to my purchase and would assume they’ll confirm the AC and Struts/Suspension and many other things. Differential oils? Transmission fluids?

I know the brake fluids were replace within the last year, but anything else that would be good to nudge them to check? Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
So, a few things here:

- I'd check to see why you're only at the 35k service. My 2015 (manufactured in 2014) had its 35k/48 month service last year (4 years from in-service). Assuming your car (a 2014 model) was manufactured a year earlier, it should have had the 35k service two years ago - or at minimum last year assuming it was manufactured in 1H 2014 vs. 2013. Seems like something is off on the service cadence?

- Looking at my records from last year, beyond the typical oil change (and laundry list of things they check), the transmission oil was also changed at this time.

- They do have a laundry list of things they check, but I'd probably explicitly ask them to check the shocks, hoses, and belts each time. If you have a good relationship, that shouldn't be a problem. The A/C would be tough as I'm not sure there's anything they can inspect unless it's already broken.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah EZ, I noticed the same thing! The ex-ex had the 25k service done at Audi San Francisco on 5/14/18, prior to the most recent owner (before me)

The ex owner then took possession and 2 weeks later took the vehicle to Audi Stevens Creek. The invoice shows “customer request 25k service.” Stevens Creek performed a REPEAT 25k service on 6/14/18. Audi Stevens creek said that the service/claim on 5/14 has not posted and they would have no way of knowing. Thankfully she is now at Audi as I type getting the 35k, but yep it was an odd situation AND sucked because the AudiCare was prepaid to 45k, BUT because they repeated a “Minor” service it still counts. Thankfully my 35k is being handled under AudiCare, but disappointing to see how crappy some Audi dealerships are (Stevens Creek)

So, a few things here:

- I'd check to see why you're only at the 35k service. My 2015 (manufactured in 2014) had its 35k/48 month service last year (4 years from in-service). Assuming your car (a 2014 model) was manufactured a year earlier, it should have had the 35k service two years ago - or at minimum last year assuming it was manufactured in 1H 2014 vs. 2013. Seems like something is off on the service cadence?

- Looking at my records from last year, beyond the typical oil change (and laundry list of things they check), the transmission oil was also changed at this time.

- They do have a laundry list of things they check, but I'd probably explicitly ask them to check the shocks, hoses, and belts each time. If you have a good relationship, that shouldn't be a problem. The A/C would be tough as I'm not sure there's anything they can inspect unless it's already broken.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Yeah EZ, I noticed the same thing! The ex-ex had the 25k service done at Audi San Francisco on 5/14/18, prior to the most recent owner (before me)

The ex owner then took possession and 2 weeks later took the vehicle to Audi Stevens Creek. The invoice shows “customer request 25k service.” Stevens Creek performed a REPEAT 25k service on 6/14/18. Audi Stevens creek said that the service/claim on 5/14 has not posted and they would have no way of knowing. Thankfully she is now at Audi as I type getting the 35k, but yep it was an odd situation AND sucked because the AudiCare was prepaid to 45k, BUT because they repeated a “Minor” service it still counts. Thankfully my 35k is being handled under AudiCare, but disappointing to see how crappy some Audi dealerships are (Stevens Creek)
Ahh, OK... yeah, definitely a bit off there. Sounds like the ex-ex-owner was late on getting the 25k done, and then the ex-owner immediately went for service, which should have been the 35k and instead got another 25k? Did they give you the total service history?

In any case, it's there now! I'd maybe mention it to the dealer and see what they recommend for getting it a bit closer to back on track. Good news is you're only potentially 12 months off, but given that the car should be inspected (technically) now for 45k/60 month stuff (which is the biggest of the three rotating services, if I recall), you may also want to see if they can do something to get it covered under Audi Care.

·
Registered
191 Posts
35K service at Audi dealer should include tranny service. IMO that is the most important since your fluid is already 6 years old. Transmissions are expensive and the tranny fluid used is not lifetime fluid like in a BMW. Other items done such as lubricate hinges are nice to have done but won't cause major $$ damage if not done. What is Audi dealer charging for 35K service?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is under the existing AudiCare for today, but I did see the price of it was ~$1,500 for the 35k service

35K service at Audi dealer should include tranny service. IMO that is the most important since your fluid is already 6 years old. Transmissions are expensive and the tranny fluid used is not lifetime fluid like in a BMW. Other items done such as lubricate hinges are nice to have done but won't cause major $$ damage if not done. What is Audi dealer charging for 35K service?

·
Registered
356 Posts
So you guys are doing the trans fluid service at the 35k service?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Only the S-tronic has the 35k service for fluid change. R-tronic/Manual fluid is considered lifetime by Audi....
Although Audi consider it to be for life, best practice is to change it now and again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts