Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I have posted here but I sold my R8 a month ago - absolutely amazing car and will always be fondly remembered...apart from the tech :).

I know this is an R8 forum but I thought I would give an update for those interested - my 488 GTB has been built and a few days away from porting in Brisbane... yes sleeping is hard atm. The Ferrari ordering experience has been amazing, couldn't speak more highly of Ferrari Brisbane - photos below of it at various stages on the production line.

CPS_bc8a92dfd1bb9d5579d6b6a7a515cf6f_2736x1824.jpg
CPS_1ef0c19e4eb19079147a70616b6bc4e8_2736x1824.jpg
CPS_8e440adc5262438002a0a4b2e74820ad_2736x1824.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Beautiful car and I've read that the 488 is a beast and some reckon better than the 458 which in itself is pretty impressive. Is it your first Ferrari?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful car and I've read that the 488 is a beast and some reckon better than the 458 which in itself is pretty impressive. Is it your first Ferrari?
Yep, Ferrari virgin. I have driven both the 458 and 488, both are awesome but the performance of the 488 is next level - fastest car I have ever driven.

·
Registered
277 Posts
amazing car... I am sure you will love it.. congrats.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Absolutely beautiful car! Congrats and enjoy your new beast!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I get my 488 in May but it will have no chance against my TT R8. The thing with Ferrari V8's (if you get an early production date) is you can own them for a year and sell them for the same price. Can't let a free year in a Ferrari go. This will be my fourth Ferrari.

The experience of driving a Ferrari is very hard to explain, it is all about the feeling it gives you. I drove my 458 and a 650s back to back at brands hatch last year. The 650s was definitely the quicker car but the attack on your senses that the Ferrari gives just makes it the better car to drive.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Congrats on the 488! Is the Ferrari buying experience outside of the US just as (IMHO) a pain in the ass as here? Most dealers here in the USA will not let you order a new Ferrari unless you have previously owned at least one (used) Ferrari previously, ideally several. I actually think it is pretty absurd and a turn off that one has to go through such lengths to be able to order a Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I was one of the first to get the production line photos, they started the program right around the time of my build, great feature and more companies should do it.

Congrats, the 488 will be a beast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love that they send you pictures of your car being built .. that is awesome!!

Your new car is absolutely stunning, it's got to be one of the best looking cars made ... I'm very happy for you ... Congrats !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on the 488! Is the Ferrari buying experience outside of the US just as (IMHO) a pain in the ass as here? Most dealers here in the USA will not let you order a new Ferrari unless you have previously owned at least one (used) Ferrari previously, ideally several. I actually think it is pretty absurd and a turn off that one has to go through such lengths to be able to order a Ferrari.
Ferrari is definitely a unique company, they take a lot of pride in their cars even after the sale ...
http://jalopnik.com/ferrari-sent-deadmau5-a-cease-and-desist-about-his-purr-1627640534

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Awesome! What a great way to keep the client informed by sending pics

·
Registered
682 Posts
They do have some strange policies to get on the list especially if you want an early slot however this should be a positive not a turn off. My previous ferrari's have been the cheapest vehicle I have owned for all round costs over a 1 year period which includes many cars of which some are 1/4 of the purchase price of the Ferrari's.

I shouldn't give too many secrets away but take my word for it, get your names down you will not regret it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyones comments. I think things vary from country to country I have had dealings with the dealer before and I was pretty early to commit - whilst I am not exactly sure how it works, I think it's easier here in Australia - albeit much more expensive, the 488 with no options is over $500k here. Our options are also very expensive, primarily because of our punitive taxes on expensive cars - we have a GST of 10%, luxury car tax of 33%, import duty of 5% and stamp duty in my state of 4%, so the govt are making much more than Ferrari are.

The photos on the production line are awesome imo - I think this would relatively easy for many manufacturers to do, especially for lower volume like the R8. I am told that they also send you a model of your car in exactly the spec of the one you ordered a few weeks after your car arrives, so I am looking forward to that.

AccelR8- were you aware that they were going to send you the photos before hand? Would have been an awesome surprise. I see you have a hurucan on order - will you keep your R8?

AF330I - Have I signed a contract about violating the car? Not that I am aware of, maybe at delivery I will have to sign something - I would happily do so as I don't want to change it from stock...although I may get an exhaust if someone makes an amazing one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get my 488 in May but it will have no chance against my TT R8. The thing with Ferrari V8's (if you get an early production date) is you can own them for a year and sell them for the same price. Can't let a free year in a Ferrari go. This will be my fourth Ferrari.

The experience of driving a Ferrari is very hard to explain, it is all about the feeling it gives you. I drove my 458 and a 650s back to back at brands hatch last year. The 650s was definitely the quicker car but the attack on your senses that the Ferrari gives just makes it the better car to drive.
Yes I sense I am going to enjoy it - drove it on a track for a few laps and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not sure that I would be able to sell it a year later for what I paid, but if I could it would tempting to sell and order the "speciale/ scuderia" version. Or though I would need a fun car to tide me over.

TT R8 sounds nice -v8 or V10, what sort of numbers does it do?

·
Registered
682 Posts
R8 GT V10 TT with around 950BHP. Probably would be a good interim car while you wait if you can find a GT in OZ. Not sure how many made to your shores. Only 33 in the UK.

I am not sure at that price point how well your values will hold up as used cars must become very attractive with those taxes. We have the same issue in the Bahamas so the high end market doesn't really do well.

In the UK the 488 was £182,000 or $275,000 so almost half your price. Once the options are added mine came to £225,000 so I went over the list a few times and ended up at £205,000. Or as my dealer calls it poverty spec.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Thanks for everyones comments. I think things vary from country to country I have had dealings with the dealer before and I was pretty early to commit - whilst I am not exactly sure how it works, I think it's easier here in Australia - albeit much more expensive, the 488 with no options is over $500k here. Our options are also very expensive, primarily because of our punitive taxes on expensive cars - we have a GST of 10%, luxury car tax of 33%, import duty of 5% and stamp duty in my state of 4%, so the govt are making much more than Ferrari are.

The photos on the production line are awesome imo - I think this would relatively easy for many manufacturers to do, especially for lower volume like the R8. I am told that they also send you a model of your car in exactly the spec of the one you ordered a few weeks after your car arrives, so I am looking forward to that.

AccelR8- were you aware that they were going to send you the photos before hand? Would have been an awesome surprise. I see you have a hurucan on order - will you keep your R8?

AF330I - Have I signed a contract about violating the car? Not that I am aware of, maybe at delivery I will have to sign something - I would happily do so as I don't want to change it from stock...although I may get an exhaust if someone makes an amazing one.
Had no idea about the photos, received an e mail out of the blue one day and logged into my ferrari acct and the pics were uploaded.

Re Huracan, sadly I won't be keeping the R8

Will be listing it for sale in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R8 GT V10 TT with around 950BHP. Probably would be a good interim car while you wait if you can find a GT in OZ. Not sure how many made to your shores. Only 33 in the UK.

I am not sure at that price point how well your values will hold up as used cars must become very attractive with those taxes. We have the same issue in the Bahamas so the high end market doesn't really do well.

In the UK the 488 was £182,000 or $275,000 so almost half your price. Once the options are added mine came to £225,000 so I went over the list a few times and ended up at £205,000. Or as my dealer calls it poverty spec.
Holy $%&! that is crazy! I have never modified a car like that - have you many reliability issues with it or your licence?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find it amazing how different the communication is between audi and Ferrari during the build process. Audi could learn a lot from Ferrari.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts