Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for using SD cards over 2gb and the advice was a bit unclear, so I thought I'd post the simple solution I found.

Get a 4gb SD card that is not "SDHC standard" compliant.

These can be tricky to find, but you can get ones from here for just £7.70 each:
memorybits

I then copied my music from iTunes to different genre folders on the SD cards and I can see them all working fine in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
this also works for the RNS510 model navigation systems

·
Registered
163 Posts
i tried a non standard 8GB card but it would not work. can you pls confirm that your card is formatted FAT vs FAT32? you can tell by right clicking on it in windows and selecting properties. thanks...Eric

PS - what is that TP / TMC text next to the clock?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, they also make faster versions of that same card up to 150x, without the SDHC. Although once the R8 comes and I start driving it, I will end up using this, as it just makes transferring music from my PC to the card much easier (although I am going to have to found away to transfer all my iTunes downloaded AAC protected files to MP3):

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Plus-2GB-Card/dp/B000EWI8IK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried a non standard 8GB card but it would not work. can you pls confirm that your card is formatted FAT vs FAT32? you can tell by right clicking on it in windows and selecting properties. thanks...Eric

PS - what is that TP / TMC text next to the clock?
I've never seen 8gb work. It's FAT32.

TMC = Traffic Message Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel)

TP = Traffic Programme identification
TP provides information that the station being received regularly broadcasts traffic information. The service can be used for automatic search for a traffic programme, e.g. in a car radio. TP is transmitted simply as a one-bit code, denoting that the station in question carries traffic programmes or that it does not carry traffic programmes. TP is transmitted in all groups.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah - I was going to post this as well... but you are still limited to a pretty small (can't remember) amount of files - which rather defeats the object

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, they also make faster versions of that same card up to 150x, without the SDHC. Although once the R8 comes and I start driving it, I will end up using this, as it just makes transferring music from my PC to the card much easier (although I am going to have to found away to transfer all my iTunes downloaded AAC protected files to MP3):

I found a way to do this - for FREE too! It's called SWITCH - and can be downloaded here for free - http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

All you have to do is drag your AAC files from iTunes into Switch - select MP3 as the output, and click Convert. It'll take care of the rest. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have a Windows Vista operating system, it will only copy in a FAT32 format which cannot be read by any R8. You have to save to your SD card in a FAT16 format (Windows XP) for the R8 to read it regardless of the size of SD card... I've learnt the hard way !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure about the Vista FAT32 comment: I have converted my AAC files to MP3 using Easy CD-DA on a Vista PC then written them to a 4GB SD card without any problem - everything works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I found a way to do this - for FREE too! It's called SWITCH - and can be downloaded here for free - http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
I just tried this and it works great! You can even move an entire folder (CD). I used my Desktop as the destination but if your SD drive is mounted on the PC, you should be able to write directly to the card.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

Anyone find one like this (built-in USB) in a 4GB non-SDHC?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did a search for using SD cards over 2gb and the advice was a bit unclear, so I thought I'd post the simple solution I found.

Get a 4gb SD card that is not "SDHC standard" compliant.

These can be tricky to find, but you can get ones from here for just £7.70 each:
memorybits

I then copied my music from iTunes to different genre folders on the SD cards and I can see them all working fine in the car.

Razbox, I'm a bit late to this post, but can you tell me how you copied files over from iTunes to your SD card and get the artist name and song name to show? Do you use a Mac?

I currently use a "Doug Script" http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=quickconvert to create MP3 copies of songs in my Mac iTunes music library (they are usually AAC). I then correct the ID3 tags using "ID3 Editor" http://www.pa-software.com/products/overview.php?prod=BC3B2E3A, setting tags to ID3 v1.1 and removing any v2 tags in the MP3 file, otherwise two songs names show up in the Audi system(the v2 tag info being unreadable, but still showing the menu list). If I use iTunes to convert these MP3 files to ID3 tag v 1.1, the Audi system cannot recognize the files/tracks properly, which has something to do with how iTunes converts and stores ID3 tag data.

Only after all this can I drag these converted MP3, ID3 v1.1 tagged files to an SD card so that the track names and genres show up in the Audio SD card reader.

There HAS to be an easier way!!!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have had no problems dragging the files with iTunes onto the SD card. I've done this on a PC and Mac.
Yes, you can drag & drop iTunes to a SD card window but if they are .m4p the Audi MMI will not play them. If you're dragging and dropping files directly - and playing directly - they are mp3 files. iTunes can be configured to save imported music as mp3, I suspect this is what you are referring to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I still can't get more than about 370 songs on my SD's before the R8 stops recognising more. I believe there is a 512 file limit, but by the time you have all the folders etc to organise the thing, 370 is the limit in my experience.

It's a minor flaw, but the car should have had iPod connectivity

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Razbox and others for your valiant efforts to explain this ridiculously complex issue - what a joke Audi/Apple etc can't get thier act together. I look forward to trying to get my cards working when I've got a spare hour/day!

Razbox - what on earth are you doing taking pics of your car at 1.25am?!? Worrying! :)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
...but the car should have had iPod connectivity
Filling out my JD Power survey now...

1) brake squeal (gotcha covered MCD)
2) iPod integration
2) individual tire (tyre?) pressure monitoring
3) and, even though we hope we never have to use it, a jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks Razbox and others for your valiant efforts to explain this ridiculously complex issue - what a joke Audi/Apple etc can't get thier act together. I look forward to trying to get my cards working when I've got a spare hour/day!

Razbox - what on earth are you doing taking pics of your car at 1.25am?!? Worrying! :)
LOL! I took the pic in the first few days of R8 ownership when I was very excited about making new things work. Getting the SD cards working (8gb in total) was very exciting after my neanthethal MY07 Vantage. In the end it wasn't difficult at all:

1. Buy SD cards that are non-SDHC (max 4gb as per my link)
2. Create folders for artists/genres
3. Drag across mp3/wma files (but not mp4 iTunes downloads) to those folders

I really like the way shuffle works. It shuffles within a folder and then moves to the next folder and shuffles those songs. If you have genres in folders, it's a bit like Apple's iPod Genius.

Re the 512 limit, the FAT filesystem has a limit on how many files and folders there can be in the root folder (the default is 512), and when you reach that limit you will not be able to add anything else to the root folder. You can add files and folders to a sub-folder, as I have done.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. I seem to find that the shuffle in this head unit is a bit on the "dumbass" side. It's a "true-shuffle" -- it randomly picks the next song when the time arises.

Why is this bad?

--Pressing back to get to a previous song just goes to another random song... and no, you can't press forward to get back to the one you just pressed back from.
--Sometimes songs get repeated several times before a song that HASN'T been played gets played once.

Most smarter shuffle systems actually randomize the whole playlist on boot/start, and then plays it through. This way:

--You can traverse back and forth through the randomized playlist
--No repeats until the playlist is done

Hopefully, this is something that can be tweaked via software since it doesn't seem the R8 will get MMI anytime soon.

How bass-ackwards is it that VW, the value brand, has the superior systems?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts