Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alas, my beloved just passed the 62k miles threshold! Does anyone know the kind of issues I may be facing going forward? I'm especially concerned with engine issues or failures, and I'm wondering if tracking the car at this point is asking for trouble. I had the carbon deposits cleaned off the engine last year, the car is well maintained and runs very well... I already went through the typical issues (replaced magneride once, master and slave cylinders replaced, A/C compressor, cooling reservoir, oil temperature sensor, new battery, etc.).

How resilient is that V10 motor? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
65k on mine and runs like a dream. Biggest issues I have fixed are just little oil leaks from rubber orings drying out. More specifically oil pump shaft oring. Also did my valve cover gaskets, as my drivers side was seeping onto the exhaust causing some smoke.

Other than that, really nothing to speak of for the engine, seems to be quite reliable. There are quite a few gallardos and r8s with over a 100k. I think ballvice on here has over 90 or 95k on his.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alas, my beloved just passed the 62k miles threshold! Does anyone know the kind of issues I may be facing going forward? I'm especially concerned with engine issues or failures, and I'm wondering if tracking the car at this point is asking for trouble. I had the carbon deposits cleaned off the engine last year, the car is well maintained and runs very well... I already went through the typical issues (replaced magneride once, master and slave cylinders replaced, A/C compressor, cooling reservoir, oil temperature sensor, new battery, etc.).

How resilient is that V10 motor? Thanks for any advice.
So the A/C compressor is still an issue even on the v10s?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, had to replace my AC compressor around 48k miles, not cheap but engine doesn't have to come out like the V8.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I think healthy aging just comes with preventative care. At least that's my game plan. I'm at 18k miles after 5 years, but I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so I do think quite a bit about the long term care of it.

I'm no expert here, but my assumption is that the engine will need to be periodically rebuilt - preferably before it has a catastrophic problem! I'd expect this interval to be vastly accelerated if the car is spending time on the track, where the stressed are considerably higher.

I had reached out to Ricky a few months back inquiring about some of this preventative maintenance - his advice, at least at 5 years, included replacing some hoses, the battery, etc. I get the impression that manufacturers do their best to balance "proactive" and "reactive" maintenance as not to scare buyers with giant / costly maintenance schedules, while also expecting that original owners won't be paying much attention once 5+ years rolls by.

How often should you rebuild the V10? I don't know - but I do believe that the LMS engines have a regular rebuild schedule (can't remember what it is now, though, as I read it some time ago!).

Maybe consider sitting down with your R8 tech and going over the car. Keeping it running like a top, if that's the goal, will likely just involve a LOT more preventative maintenance. Most people cringe at the idea of replacing parts that appear to still be working, but this will be my approach nonetheless. It's an investment to keep a car running like new, but I want the R8 to feel, drive, and perform "like new" over the years. Letting stuff naturally deteriorate then results in major restoration projects and a highly unreliable car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think healthy aging just comes with preventative care. At least that's my game plan. I'm at 18k miles after 5 years, but I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so I do think quite a bit about the long term care of it.

I'm no expert here, but my assumption is that the engine will need to be periodically rebuilt - preferably before it has a catastrophic problem! I'd expect this interval to be vastly accelerated if the car is spending time on the track, where the stressed are considerably higher.

I had reached out to Ricky a few months back inquiring about some of this preventative maintenance - his advice, at least at 5 years, included replacing some hoses, the battery, etc. I get the impression that manufacturers do their best to balance "proactive" and "reactive" maintenance as not to scare buyers with giant / costly maintenance schedules, while also expecting that original owners won't be paying much attention once 5+ years rolls by.

How often should you rebuild the V10? I don't know - but I do believe that the LMS engines have a regular rebuild schedule (can't remember what it is now, though, as I read it some time ago!).

Maybe consider sitting down with your R8 tech and going over the car. Keeping it running like a top, if that's the goal, will likely just involve a LOT more preventative maintenance. Most people cringe at the idea of replacing parts that appear to still be working, but this will be my approach nonetheless. It's an investment to keep a car running like new, but I want the R8 to feel, drive, and perform "like new" over the years. Letting stuff naturally deteriorate then results in major restoration projects and a highly unreliable car.
Good advice Ezmass, I will plan a chat with my mechanic and see what they say from a preventative perspective.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have always been one to enjoy my cars so I drive it at least a couple of days a week, as long as it’s not raining. I recently cross the 64,000 mile mark, but I service my car regularly. I have not experienced any major issues, and the car runs healthily.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all those with, or nearing, high mileage R8's, this might be of interest. I had contacted someone I know well at my Audi service dealership, and asked them if they could get me in touch with someone at the factory or service who could give me some ideas of likely components failure past 100,000 KMs... Here's what I got back after some effort from my contact:

"Hi [name withheld],

Checked with the technical team and unfortunately they do not have some of the specific data the customer is looking for. They only have access to warranty data, which would in most cases cease at 100,000 km, so they do not have information beyond that. In addition any data regarding failure rates cannot be shared with customers or any external party. I understand the customer’s concern, but unfortunately there is nothing we can provide him in line with what he is asking below.

Sorry we weren’t able to help."

Bottom line, it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You've already gone through most of the common issues. I would say check belts and keep an eye on oil leaks from corroded/cracking seals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at a 2007 911 GT3 today, and got the dealer to appraise my R8 (V10 MT)... I was saddened to hear they would give me USD $46k given the high mileage, despite the car being in good condition mechanically and aesthetically. They said past the 63k mile mark, it's a harder sell and it could stay on the lot for a while. I walked away, but this is a reputable high-end dealer, so I'm concerned it's true and I'm now going to loose my shirt. Any opinions are welcome...

·
Registered
132 Posts
That seems really low, obviously higher mileage brings the value down quite a bit, but even high mileage V10 manuals are going for mid 70s last I checked.

Unless they've dropped hard in the last few months, that seems extremely low if the car is in good condition. Of course, the part about it sitting for a while could be true, so maybe they just don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I agree with most of this, the only part I question is the periodic rebuild. Comparing things to an LMS car isn't really realistic, the workload is completely different.

Additionally, my understanding is that with modern engines, a rebuild can not come close to the precision from factory, so if the engine is rebuilt, the subsequent time to rebuild will be much shorter than the original motor lasted/would have lasted. I can't think of any modern road cars that require regular rebuilds other than extreme cases (I thought I read that the Valkyrie will require regular rebuilds, but that's an extreme case and would be a factory rebuild if that is true).

I do agree with going over things and treating basically all maintenance as preventative - waiting for things to fail isn't usually the best approach for longevity.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Never known a dealer offer a fair price for a car ever, unless you're trading a mini for a Bugatti.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi mlaudisa, also here in Toronto. I have a 2015 v10 spyder and out of curiosity I gave my info to the autotrader "let us make you an offer" program. Mine has 75,000 kms and was offered $76,000 CDN or $56,000 USD, laughable. I bet they hit once in a while, so its worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi mlaudisa, also here in Toronto. I have a 2015 v10 spyder and out of curiosity I gave my info to the autotrader "let us make you an offer" program. Mine has 75,000 kms and was offered $76,000 CDN or $56,000 USD, laughable. I bet they hit once in a while, so its worth it.
I wasn't aware of that program, but sounds like you were low-balled too... not as miserable as mine, mind you... now I'm not sure what to do: if I keep it, it will continue to lose value and may require serious, expensive repairs. If I sell now, with the money I get I won't be able to get anything close to it.

Lesson learned: do not daily your supercars (unless you're wealthy and don't care).. I should have known better. Besides, I love the car and don't really want to see it gone, but the more I hang on to it the more acute the problem gets. First world problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never known a dealer offer a fair price for a car ever, unless you're trading a mini for a Bugatti.
Ha ha ha, I guess you're right... would need to test the open market to get fair value I guess, just a lot of work I don't need right now (selling the car privately, I mean).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts