Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I normally would agree, but have you heard some of those 911 turbo's? some of them sound ridiculously good. Better than stock v10 R8 with no after market exhaust. And that 911 looks pretty awesome too. If I didn't get an R8, I would have gotten a 911 turbo. It's got the wide butt I like (not as nice as the R8, but still good). The only reason, the 911 was not on the table for me is that they are literally everywhere out here (So. Cal). I like that the R8 is exotic for it's rarity.

As far as the value of the R8 not holding as well as the 911 (to the OP) I have a hard time believing that. My R8 has gone up considerably since I bought it. It's gaining value and will only gain more as they stop production.
it's not just about the sound, it's about the level of connection in the driving experience that only exists with a naturally aspirated engine
turbo lag is a real thing and it creates a disconnect in the driving experience

I seriously doubt the OP will miss the turbo'd flat six in his prior 911 when he unleashes that V10

·
Registered
270 Posts
They’re two totally different experiences. Currently I alternate between my 991.2TT and Manual V10 spyder.

It’s a common detractor that people point out 911s are a “dime a dozen” to be fair that’s one of the reasons I love it. Unless you’re in LA or SF, a 911 in a mute color still has significant presence on the road and is incredibly engaging to drive. That being said I fly way more under the radar in it than my R8 which is pure bliss with the top down and fabspeed exhaust screaming like a banshee.

Do you wear the same watch every day? It’s not lost on me that it’s a luxury to be able to swap between these cars on a daily basis, but that is precisely what keeps them both fresh to me. For reference I drive 100-150 miles a day for two thirds of the month.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for your input everyone. I took delivery today and drove it straight home There was a thunderstorm warning out and it's been raining ever since, I didn't want to get a freshly cleaned car dirty so soon so pulled it in to the garage right in the nick of time. Haha.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
687 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to own 6 911 variants (all sticks) over my life. Loved every one. But as I got older I became more aware that a Porsche demands you full attention at all times. The other observation is most people can’t tell the difference between a base line model and a full gonzo GT series. (I’ve also had multiple AMG’s and M series.) As I’ve aged I was looking something more refined with similar performance. I also wanted something a bit more rare. The R8 hit the bullseye. I searched for 6 months for the right “one”. It became a see it, like it, buy it decision. We’ll worth the trip to Las Vegas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was SO excited to drive it today but the forecast is gloomy AF and rain is on the cards again. So didn't end up taking it out. I typically wouldn't care about rain per se but I feel like it's more driving a car like this when the sun is shining and day is nice anyway. Will need to wait a while longer before I can take it I guess. Haha.

We have two Audi's in the house, this and my wife's Q5 that parks right behind where I was standing in that photo above and both are a shade of blue. My wife hates my frequent changing of cars and the fact that I 'waste' so much money but this time she didn't get too angry at all as she's an Audi fan. Even took a pic of me beside the car with me carrying our pup Hugo. Haha.

·
Registered
934 Posts
you realize
I was SO excited to drive it today but the forecast is gloomy AF and rain is on the cards again. So didn't end up taking it out. I typically wouldn't care about rain per se but I feel like it's more driving a car like this when the sun is shining and day is nice anyway. Will need to wait a while longer before I can take it I guess. Haha.
You realize it is also a piece or art too... right? h ahha ha it's fun to just look at it and admire the lines. Also shopping for R8 bling is fun, new wheels? Tires? Carbon fiber this, carbon fiber that? Learn the launch procedure? (though I just watched a video on the Gen2 launch where he used the Draggy app and measured a bunch of different take off styles. Launch mode was not the winner. If I can find the video link, I'll post it.).

Just saying, it's fun to just shop for it too. Whether you buy stuff or not.

Reactions: ksa

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
^Haha absolutely. I have already been doing some of that even before I took delivery. Only issue for me is that I can't just look....I end up buying. LOL

I always tell myself to enjoy the car as-is for a while and then when I am getting bored then do some mods, but usually the mods are done within the first month and I am still bored with the vehicle after a little while. This car is already decked out with carbon everywhere including a massive diffuser which I love. Might consider a lip in the future but it's low enough as it is.

A tune and an exhaust system might be an option, but having purchased aftermarket warranty for 2 years, I will need to be careful so as to not mess with that in any way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep in mind many forum members currently own or have owned many 911’s including RS variants, F, L, and M cars. The R8, particularly the Gen 1 V10, is still highly regarded by these owners regardless of price. I would take any Gen R8 V10 over a 992 in a heartbeat, and I’m a huge P fan. Brand snobs are a dime a dozen (not saying you’re one), and true enthusiasts respect and own cars of all brands and price points from Speciales to Miatas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ahh, this discussion is close to my heart.

I drove a 992 Carrera S for nearly 2 years before trading it in for my R8. Now, the R8 is better compared with a Turbo model, not a Carrera, but since my 992 was aggressively tuned (probably 120 more hp, I would guess?) I think I can make some comments here.

I think the Porsche is probably just a tad bit more precise as a performance car, and the steering is more pleasurable. Chalk that up to nearly 60 years of updating and refining the same model,

But that aside, I echo the comments others have made—the R8 just feels far more special and exotic. After a while you feel like you are driving “just another 911”. The R8 still handles brilliantly and the Performance Quattro variant is more speed than anyone needs. But what it has above the 911 (including the Turbo) is exclusivity, rarity, style, and that V10. And that matters.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
217 Posts
I drove the equivalent 911 C4S and V8 R8 6MT at the time of launch. I drove them back to back and hated the Porsche and preferred the R8. Found it to be a better driving and handling car. On the road though..... and I was only maybe 20 at the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think I can agree with most of the comments here now that I finally got some seat time behind my R8 yesterday. More will be had today as I am taking I to the shooting range to try out my new CZ. When I am driving the R8 it certainly feels way more special than the 911 and it's hard to explain but to me it feels easier to drive than the 911 doing regular street driving. 911 steering is very stiff compared to the R8's but of course that's likely why 911's are every so slightly better on the track. I thought R8 would be tiring to drive on a regular basis but my 30 mins drive around town yesterday didn't make me feel that way at all.

It certainly feels more of an occasion driving the R8 than it does the 911 overall. Today is the first decent day when sun is out so I will also have the top down for a bit and truly get the sense of that screaming V10. One thing though was evident to me as soon as I drove it yesterday, I will DEFF need to get a new exhaust at some point. Haha. I am eyeing the Quicksilver so far but we will see. It will also need to be valvetronic, even though knowing me I know it will never be in valves closed mode. My Aston, GTS, or the 911 in the past 2 or so years I have had them, I don't think I can even say how they sound with the valves closed cause literally it became a habit to have them start in sports mode with the valves open and keep them there. Haha.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts