Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got chance to buy a new 997tt until my r8 comes in march
don't know what to do
I would ask this question on the porsche gb forum but i will only get abuse because i'm not keeping the tt

·
Registered
104 Posts
don't know what to do
I would ask this question on the porsche gb forum but i will only get abuse because i'm not keeping the tt
Having owned a 996 TT "S" Cab, you need to look at the depreciation you will realize in the short term. It would not surprise me to see you lose $30K which is just not worth the drive time.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Depends on the weather/temps too between now and march for just how much enjoyment you'll be able to get from the porsche.

·
Registered
647 Posts
don't know what to do
I am in the same boat as you...

Here is my findings:

-short term ownership of 997TT? NO!
-plan to keep it along side with R8? Then yes.

Few remarks regarding 997TT...

The best possible version is manual with optional LSD. Tiptronic version is not nearly that good or invloving but, if offers good resale value since there is a lot of sluch box fans...

Brakes... Standard brakes on 997TT are the best iron brakes on all sportscars. They are even better then standard brakes on R8(despite the fact that front discs are smaller on 997TT). PCCBs(Ceramics) are excellent as well but, IMHO not worth extra money. And they are more fragile the iron brakes in term of bad roads(holes!) etc. Ceramics react fractionally slower in wet conditions.

Also as a warning-997TT offers pretty unique experince for driving. You need to know that car and respect it to drive it really fast. I attended several Porsche Driving School events and I can tell you one thing-first hand experince on the race track is really good thing.

Last thing-speed and power(torque) that 997TT achives can be really addictive. Try to test drive one and then make your own decision. The fact is-997TT is in above average driver hands much faster car then R8. On every road(except that funny EVO Bedford test track but, I know few thing here also...)...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think this just comes down to money at the end of the day.

If you want and can afford, then get it, but I would agree a value with a dealer on the buy back.,

Agree the purchase and buy back in the same deal and get it in writing ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this just comes down to money at the end of the day.

If you want and can afford, then get it, but I would agree a value with a dealer on the buy back.,

Agree the purchase and buy back in the same deal and get it in writing ...
i'm only going to keep it for a about 4 months so i will ask the dealer for a buy back figuire and on his answer i will make my mind up ,but like kreso said it's only worth it if i'm going to keep it long term

·
Registered
367 Posts
In terms of buy back/trade-in value, that turbo will drop about $20k the moment you drive it off the lot and another $1k a month thereafter.
Worth it? It all depends on your wallet! One man's unacceptable expense is another's chump change...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am in the same boat as you...xperince on the race track is really good thing.

Last thing-speed and power(torque) that 997TT achives can be really addictive. Try to test drive one and then make your own decision. The fact is-997TT is in above average driver hands much faster car then R8. On every road(except that funny EVO Bedford test track but, I know few thing here also...)...
I owned a 997tt for a yea and it is great and the acceleration is extremely addictive.But where did you get that track time info from ? I cannot think of one track where the turbo is quicker,and find on roads with bends in I am able to drive the Audi faster.The turbo can bite and does not communicate the way the Audi does.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Gents,

Few fact for all of you regarding 997 Turbo and R8 track times...

Hockenheim Klein Kurs(Sport Auto):

997 Turbo 1.11,9min(Michelin Cup tires, manual with optional LSD and PCCB)
R8 1.12,7min(Pirelli Corsa tires, manual with Ceramic brakes and bucketseats)

Nordschlieife(Sport Auto):

997 Turbo 7.52min
R8 8.04min

Oschersleben(German track also, Auto Bild Sportscars)

997 Turbo is 3s faster around that track then R8.

Monza(Italian Automiblisimo)

997 Turbo is 3.5s faster around Monza then R8.

Bedford(UK, EVO)

997 Turbo 1.23,55min(Normal tires, LSD)
R8 1.22,10min(Normal tires)

So, where is the problem(since all of you here ONLY excpet EVO results)? Here is the answer Gallardo SL 1.21,8min!!! Do you really belive that Gallardo SL with Corsa tires and Ceramics is only(!!!) 0.3s faster around Bedford then R8????

If so, think twice... NO, think around 100 times again since that same Gallardo SL is 18s faster around Ring(7.46min) 1.8s faster around Hockenheim(1.10,9min) and 7s faster around Oschersleben or Monza...

Gallardo SL is faster then 997 Turbo as well(BUT, way slower then new 997 GT2 for example)...

BTW, do you know who owns Bedford? Jonathan Palmer... Is he involved with Audi maybe? Do you homework...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I owned a 997tt for a yea and it is great and the acceleration is extremely addictive.But where did you get that track time info from ? I cannot think of one track where the turbo is quicker,and find on roads with bends in I am able to drive the Audi faster.The turbo can bite and does not communicate the way the Audi does.
On Grobnik track in Croatia 997 Turbo(manual with LSD) is 2.5s faster then R8(manual). Six laps in both cars-three different drivers(one driver is Italian race driver). Difference was always the same between 2s-3s depending on driver. 2.5s in mid result for all six laps...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Gents,

Few fact for all of you regarding 997 Turbo and R8 track times...

Hockenheim Klein Kurs(Sport Auto):

997 Turbo 1.11,9min(Michelin Cup tires, manual with optional LSD and PCCB)
R8 1.12,7min(Pirelli Corsa tires, manual with Ceramic brakes and bucketseats)

Nordschlieife(Sport Auto):

997 Turbo 7.52min
R8 8.04min

Oschersleben(German track also, Auto Bild Sportscars)

997 Turbo is 3s faster around that track then R8.

Monza(Italian Automiblisimo)

997 Turbo is 3.5s faster around Monza then R8.

Bedford(UK, EVO)

997 Turbo 1.23,55min(Normal tires, LSD)
R8 1.22,10min(Normal tires)

So, where is the problem(since all of you here ONLY excpet EVO results)? Here is the answer Gallardo SL 1.21,8min!!! Do you really belive that Gallardo SL with Corsa tires and Ceramics is only(!!!) 0.3s faster around Bedford then R8????

If so, think twice... NO, think around 100 times again since that same Gallardo SL is 18s faster around Ring(7.46min) 1.8s faster around Hockenheim(1.10,9min) and 7s faster around Oschersleben or Monza...

Gallardo SL is faster then 997 Turbo as well(BUT, way slower then new 997 GT2 for example)...

BTW, do you know who owns Bedford? Jonathan Palmer... Is he involved with Audi maybe? Do you homework...
Sorry Kreso really disappointed about your answer - Jonathan Palmer was being petty and stopped the driver of any other vehicle apart from Audi's going quicker. Doh

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, I think that R8 is great car. Better car for driving for average driver then 997 Turbo for sure...

BUT, this EVO Bedford test results is getting little bit...lately...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, I think that R8 is great car. Better car for driving for average driver then 997 Turbo for sure...

BUT, this EVO Bedford test results is getting little bit...lately...

But what - a stick to beat 997tt fans over the head with? Who is fussed? But to suggest it was rigged seems a little wierd .....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Did you read lates EVO with ecoty?

ECOTY is 997 GT3RS. F430 Scuderia is second. R8 is third.

Strange results if you ask me since EVO stuff praised R8 that much in previous issues. BTW, according to EVO R8 is faster around Bedford then ECOTY 997 GT3 RS...

It makes sense... Doesn't it?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did you read lates EVO with ecoty?

ECOTY is 997 GT3RS. F430 Scuderia is second. R8 is third.

Strange results if you ask me since EVO stuff praised R8 that much in previous issues. BTW, according to EVO R8 is faster around Bedford then ECOTY 997 GT3 RS...

It makes sense... Doesn't it?
This wasn't about track times or do you have a different copy?
Would I prefer a 911RS than an R8 - not really (Jason Plato who has a 997TT says he wouldn't) Would I have the 430 - Yes just might but too much badge for me.

Evo's issue was that R8 wasn't edgy enough. At least one of the group couldn't understand why it didn't win.

In general ECOTY said that any of the 3 could have won in any other year. I am not much worried anyway. The Fiat 500 beat them all in Car Magazine.

R8 still faster round Bedford than 997 unless you can prove people lied and cheated. But I am sure with your superior driving skills you will beat me in any race. But have no plans to show how small my appendage is :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
R8 still faster round Bedford than 997 unless you can prove people lied and cheated. But I am sure with your superior driving skills you will beat me in any race. But have no plans to show how small my appendage is :)
First of all-I did not say that EVO stuff lied. Just chain of events was pretty much in R8 favour... And if you belive that R8 is faster around Bedford then Gallardo or 599 GTB-then I guess OK...

Second, when I said that my driving skills are better then yours? This statement is your pure speculation.

And I truly do not understand your points and claims here... I LIKE R8 a lot as well. I order one for God sake!

BUT, I am not closed minded Audi Fan...

·
Registered
647 Posts
BTW, I guess we need to ask few members here why are they selling their R8s for nice profit?

Those Gents(two members here) which praised R8 are selling it with claim that they need something better...

I will not mention their names-just they are from Continental Europe...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts