Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought about a back-up car to the R8 in case the wait is too long or the R8 turns out to be too expensive? I love the car but I don't want to be blindly in love. When there are feasible alternatives to consider, then we won't be as desperate. My backup is AMV8.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The AM V8 is my back-up also, especially since you can get a 2006 with significant depreciation. Depending on how long until the R8 shows up I may go for it as an interim solution.

·
Registered
90 Posts
2008 bmw m3... in a completely different realm and will be a completely different experience, but i am willing to embrace it if worst comes to worst. i dont think i can ever get something that is competing (or at least trying to compete) with the r8 because i will never stop thinking about how the car im driving is not quite good enough at what its supposed to do. but the m3 isnt supposed to be a $120k mid-engine sports car so i'd be fine with that. it will still handle and get me from 0-60 in sub 5 if not 4.5 with navigation and surround sound so theres no need for a plan C.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Has anyone thought about a back-up car to the R8 in case the wait is too long or the R8 turns out to be too expensive? I love the car but I don't want to be blindly in love. When there are feasible alternatives to consider, then we won't be as desperate. My backup is AMV8.
While the best things in life are worth waiting for, I would not try to get something to match as an interim car. If you have to have something, go for something completely different so you don't make the comparissons and have all these "what ifs" buzzing around your head.

BMW M3 is a good shout or Porsche Cayman

Just a thought :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'll choose the AMV8 also, maybe not the best car but it is simply gorgeous! But hey, I'm one of the first to receive the R8

·
Registered
840 Posts
The intention to buy the R8 was initially due to the fact I loved the concept LeMan concept ... the theorised specifications looked very appealing ... and as I don't really need a four seater ... or even a 2+2 ... the R8 was adequate for my needs ... so it was always the intention to trade the RS4 in when purchase time came along.

I am fully committed to buying the R8 ... and providing no unforeseen, and or, no unbearable financial problems occur before delivery/collection time ... I will be buying the R8 as I am happy enough to pay the price of the car I have specified ... so I will not be looking for a back-up car due to price ... although as it will take it in turns with my partners BMW Z4M to share the daily workload ... I might need to consider a 'runaround' to keep the mileage down a little ... I've had the RS4 for just under 10 months and I've already clocked up over 10,000miles ... although sharing the daily driving duties a bit more with the Z4M should help keep the mileage down.

I'm sure I've said it before ... but if work goes well in the next six months, or so (I don't expect to get my R8 before the end of August) ... I might end up in a position to keep the RS4 ... which would be quite a nice garage line-up ... '07 Audi R8, '06 BMW Z4M, '06 Audi RS4 and '96 Honda NSX ... :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
2008 bmw m3... in a completely different realm and will be a completely different experience, but i am willing to embrace it if worst comes to worst. i dont think i can ever get something that is competing (or at least trying to compete) with the r8 because i will never stop thinking about how the car im driving is not quite good enough at what its supposed to do. but the m3 isnt supposed to be a $120k mid-engine sports car so i'd be fine with that. it will still handle and get me from 0-60 in sub 5 if not 4.5 with navigation and surround sound so theres no need for a plan C.
The new M3 is a great way to go. I love M3's and still miss my E46, I can't wait until we finally get the specs, should be quite the piece of engineering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The new M3 is a great way to go. I love M3's and still miss my E46, I can't wait until we finally get the specs, should be quite the piece of engineering.
yes, indeed, a great piece indeed. for a while i was on some sort of guilt trip thinking that i didnt deserve a car worth 130-150 large (r8 will be 120ish in the US and my dealer is marking it up AT LEAST 20k) i was set on the m3 but as soon as i found out that there was a car available for me and i wouldnt have to fight for an r8 i was back on the bandwagon:D the car is just 2 seductive...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not looking at a back-up either... I'm hopeful of an autumn delivery, and its the R8 or nothing really.

I am looking at a 2nd car for the "family" (moving in with gf later this year) and am torn between Range Rover Sport, Lexus RX400h and a couple of others... and will probably end up with a 52/53 plate MK1 TT as a 3rd car, as the gf likes driving too, and won't get her kicks from the family car...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Me too - R8 will be my everyday car and will probably get an old S6 or BMW 5 series estate for shifting extra bods and rubbish around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Porsche GT3 Touring and Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT ordered...expected delivery Mar 2022. Working with dealer now to order the Audi next week. I probably (realistically) should go used Audi bc I love it but don't LOVE it (bc of length)...or maybe go the Audi GT bc that's where we are headed..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would probably go with my original plan of a 992 911 Carerra S cab. I'm really hoping that my order becomes an allocation though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my thoughts....
Assuming you're looking for "new" substitutes, that's a tough hill to climb but if you can pull it off, hats off to you. I was looking and just about everything is delayed or bleak outlooks. I had a Porsche GT4 and/or 911 wait list of allocation and with some phone calls, I could run down some options but most were missing key options that were tough to reconcile for me. Brand new builds - dealerships I talked to had massive lists backlogged and/or where I was #1 on the list for allocation, they weren't getting many.

My advice if you want sooner than later, I'd look at the used market. Prices are up so likely not a ton of deals to be had but you'll probably do better than new and can probably get aftermarket upgrades you may not otherwise get and you're likely to get it sooner than out on the horizon. Audi R8s can be had / found with some effort, but less than new.

My short list when I was looking was a 911, GT4, or M3/M4. I ended up with a 2014 R8 V10 with really low miles and am super happy with it. I will offer the BMW recommendation with a twist that what was recommended so far - I was strongly considering a 2016 BMW M4 GTS.

The 2016 BMW M4 GTS - these are sweet, more rare/exotic, and can be had for a decent price used - about $100-110K with low miles. If I was considering a "filler car" this would be high on my list. I think someone was selling one in NYC area for $115k in perfect shape with $2k miles or something... If I recall, there are only like 700 of them so you get a little more exclusive car for the mark up but would be my vote if not going Audi R8 or Porsche. ...obviously a cheaper option than an R8 or shifting to McLarens or Huracáns if you can find 'em but would probably scratch the itch until you can get an allocation. You'd also probably be good to sell it after you get it and not take a massive hit (now or in the future) and sell it relatively easily.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
This is a 14 year old thread. :)

Reactions: melland

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok - that’s hilarious. I’ll say I responded to updates in the last few hours but yea prior, that is some insanely old posts.

Topic on lead time and concerns for back ups seemed climate relevant but didn’t occur to look at the top….

Silly forum rookies!! :rolleyes::p (Myself included).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Still good reading. I guess things haven't changed that much. It's the question that eludes us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts